Suggestions needed: Camera for PAX East

Created by Cloppy on Dec. 14, 2012, 5:38 a.m.
  • I am going to my first PAX East in Boston next year and wanted to see if anyone had some suggestions on cameras to carry around. I want to take High quality pictures and video to share with friends and possibly youtube. Its an all day event so i will probably need something with great battery life (or extra battery packs) and something that can support large media cards. Its probably gonna need a good zoom too if im in the back of the room in a panel. Theres a few months to go but i am thinking if i can save up 200-300 by next march i can get something good. I am a total noob when it comes to cameras so if anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

• Ugh, I'd typed up a big response and Chrome ate it. The gist of it was that for PAX the two most important features I'd look for are a fairly wide-angle lens and good low-light performance. I don't keep up with point and shoot cameras, but I do know photography, so I poked around and tried to find a good option. This was probably the best option I found on Newegg - 3200 ISO, f/2.8 wide open, a 24mm equivalent lens, and a half inch sensor, for $179. Obviously I can't vouch for it since I've never used it, but it looks good on paper for the needs you'll have at PAX.

• Thanks,this is a awesome start and gives me alot of terms to look up. The low light situations i didn't even think of. I suppose if i want anything with a better battery life for video i would have to carry around a serious camcorder or spend some more money.

I guess i have to decide whether i want to take more pictures or video. Good thing i am starting my research now and not 2 weeks before :)

• Definitely favor low light performance. At these kinds of events, you are not going to be able to control the lighting and if you are in the back of the room a flash isn't going to do much good either (and personally I try not to use a flash whenever possible as the P&S I have tends to make the photos look very harsh). Image stabilization and optical zoom (by all the camera gods don't pay attention to digital zoom figures that marketing likes to use) are also important but won't get you good shots without good low light performance.

• PS after you find cameras in your price range, sites like dpreview (http://www.dpreview.com/) are good places to look for reviews. I bought my F50FD based on their review back in the day (wow, I feel old :P) and it was spot on.