Best flash temporary mass storage solution? (Going on a trip)

Created by TripMasterMunky on March 15, 2012, 7:14 p.m.
  • Let me get the basic points out of the way first:
    Going to Japan for 3 weeks. Have a HX9V Sony camera. 16MP, 1080P video at 60fps. That's going to take a lot of space. Debating if I should even be recording at the highest video quality because of storage issues.

So what's the best method to carrying mass amounts of data with me? I figure I can either get like 3 64GB SDHC cards ($117 each) equaling to ($351 total, 192GB of total storage) - or I can get 1 64GB SDHC card, with a netbook ($250, 250GB), and use that to store stuff from my card to make more room ($367 total, 314GB total storage). And then of course I could always take one of my extra external drives with me easily.

Is this a crazy way of thinking, or is there some better way to go about this? And which solution do you think I should go with? I'm kinda leaning towards the netbook as then I could basically bring an external and have plenty of space. I should probably get 2 64GB cards anyway "just in-case" one dies or something.

Thanks.
  • Id go with the second option or something similar as well.  That said, i know there at least used to be a product that was basically a large standalone hard drive that you could then pop an SD card into and it would copy everything over to the drive.  If that is still around, it may end up being the cheapest option, allowing you to spend more money on events/doing stuff on the trip.
  • @DrunkenKong: I'd got with the third option.
    Two or three 32GB class 10, because I doubt you'll even fill one 32 every day, but I don't know what you're planning for your camera. And a netbook plus external HDD.

But I really don't think you'll fill a 64GB on one day, and the extra price isn't really worth it. One class 10 32GB is usually around $50, when the equivalent 64GB is around $120... you've got better price for the same storage on the 32GB. But I'll admit, if you need a huge amount of storage, you'll have like 6 cards...
  • @DrunkenKong:  Make sure any SD card you buy is class 10 or your camera might struggle on HD video.
  • @DrunkenKong:  You're best off using a large capacity external drive, bringing along a laptop/netbook, and using that to offload the video from your camcorder. SD cards have a much worse capacity per dollar ratio, especially the new 64 GB SDXC cards. You should be able to get a terabyte or larger external drive for under $60.

Do you already have SD cards for your camcorder? It's vital to have backups. I've had a few die on me, and it even happened once while I was on vacation. Fortunately, I always carry multiples. As Mirado said, you'll probably want class 10 cards for HD video, and as for size, that depends on how big the video files your camcorder produces are. Depending on that, I recommend getting a couple of either 16 GB or 32 GB SDHC cards, and offloading your video to an external hard drive at the end of each day.
  • Hmm, alright. Thanks for everyone's feedback.

I think I'm going to get 2 class 10 32GB SD cards (one for backup or if I'm using a lot of storage within a day) + netbook + 1TB Ext. HDD (I already have one but it's pretty big and requires an outlet, might get one of the more portable USB-powered ones)

So like $45 for each memory card:
     http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820183273
    (Not as familiar with SD brands, but it seems to have good reviews)

$250 for the cheapest netbook:
     http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220985

$110 for a 1TB Portable Ext. HDD
     http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136755

Total Damage for a Secure Trip Data Solution: $450

Expensive, but if that's what it's gonna take, then it is what it is. Not like the items won't come in handy after the trip as well, but the trip is the main motivation for me getting this stuff and getting a new $350 camera. $800 total.

Anyone know about WiFi in Japan? Is it the same as in US where I should be able to just search for open wireless networks and hop on? May seem like a silly question, but you never know.
  • @DrunkenKong said:
    " Hmm, alright. Thanks for everyone's feedback.

I think I'm going to get 2 class 10 32GB SD cards (one for backup or if I'm using a lot of storage within a day) + netbook + 1TB Ext. HDD (I already have one but it's pretty big and requires an outlet, might get one of the more portable USB-powered ones)

So like $45 for each memory card:
     http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820183273
    (Not as familiar with SD brands, but it seems to have good reviews)

$250 for the cheapest netbook:
     http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220985

$110 for a 1TB Portable Ext. HDD
     http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136755 Total Damage for a Secure Trip Data Solution: $450Expensive, but if that's what it's gonna take, then it is what it is. Not like the items won't come in handy after the trip as well, but the trip is the main motivation for me getting this stuff and getting a new $350 camera. $800 total.Anyone know about WiFi in Japan? Is it the same as in US where I should be able to just search for open wireless networks and hop on? May seem like a silly question, but you never know. "
    I'd go for one of each, cost $405, if you use the netbook to transfer from the card to the HDD then your sorted.

I suggest you do a test, 1 hour recording at high, medium and low. See how much space each will take up per hour. You will most likely do 2-3 hours a day. 1TB is a lot of storage. Heck you could leave the laptop on overnight and convert the .RAW files into H.264 and then save a ton of space.

• @DrunkenKong: For WiFi in Japan, I think they use different channels, but the hardware will work anywhere if that's your concern. You might need to tell windows that you're in Japan so it enable different channels (otherwise it would ignore it).

I might sound stupid here, but I'd make sure the computer can deliver the required power for the HDD. I know that the 750GB and 1TB from WD have one more plater, they might draw a little more power than other HDDs (peak consumption while accelerating might be higher). Just to play it safe.

Looks like you're all set!