Worth waiting for a new body?

Created by dachen on March 15, 2012, 7:05 p.m.
  • @dachen:  The 5D mk2 would be a bad idea to buy right now anyway, because it's a year older than the 7D, and will probably be replaced first. I wouldn't count on hearing of a 7D successor until this fall, at the earliest.
     
    What do you want to get out of an upgrade? The 7D would get you a better low-light/high-ISO performance, focusing system, higher framerate, and better build quality (and weather sealing) over the XTi. On the other hand, if action shots and/or inclement weather aren't important considerations for you, the T2i or T3i might be worth considering instead. The T2i's low-light performance is more or less identical to the 7D, and since the T3i uses the same sensor as they both do, I imagine it will produce similar results.
  • @CROM said:
    " @dachen:  The 5D mk2 would be a bad idea to buy right now anyway, because it's a year older than the 7D, and will probably be replaced first. I wouldn't count on hearing of a 7D successor until this fall, at the earliest. 
    Rumor is that the 5DmkIII is going to be announced Q1-Q2 so while it's a bad idea to pick up a MKII, I imagine they'll drop the price post announcement. 
    Canon is odd though so it's not a sure thing. Case in point the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS mkI is only $300 cheaper than the mkII.
  • @dachen: lots of people complain about a dangling pinky with the T1i/T2i/T3i (all generally the same body). To resolve this problem, lots of people invest in a battery grip for their camera, which gives you better controls for portrait shooting, extra battery life, and a place to put your pinky. 
     
    If you go T2i - and this is just an extra consideration - you'll get to use the infamous Canon Magic Lantern firmware, which adds a whole host of new features to the cameras. The features will most likely be ported to the T3i, too, but not the 7D. I don't know how important those extra features are to you (or even if you'd be adventurous enough to install custom firmware on a multi-hundred dollar piece of equipment), but it seems like your decision at this point is primarily about 7D vs T2i/T3i. 
      
    I shoot with the T2i and am happy. I'll be investing some serious cash in lenses before I'd even think about jumping for a 5D MK-anything. You need nice lenses to take full advantage of that camera.
  • @MAGZine said:
    "I'll be investing some serious cash in lenses before I'd even think about jumping for a 5D MK-anything. You need nice lenses to take full advantage of that camera. "
    Yeah, even the T2i demands nice lenses with its resolution. Definitely build up a collection of good, EF-compatible lenses before buying the 5D, unless you're willing to buy new lenses at the same time.
     
     @dachen:
    I find the T2i hard to hold with one hand (I have hands that are roughly average-sized for a man, maybe slightly on the large side), but instead of spending money on a larger body (60D or 7D), I decided to put up with the awkward grip and instead invest in lenses. I'd like to get a battery grip for my T2i, and I'll probably go for one of the third-party options, because Canon's are priced way too high.
  • @CROM said:
    " @MAGZine said:
    "I'll be investing some serious cash in lenses before I'd even think about jumping for a 5D MK-anything. You need nice lenses to take full advantage of that camera. "
    Yeah, even the T2i demands nice lenses with its resolution. Definitely build up a collection of good, EF-compatible lenses before buying the 5D, unless you're willing to buy new lenses at the same time.
     
     @dachen: I find the T2i hard to hold with one hand (I have hands that are roughly average-sized for a man, maybe slightly on the large side), but instead of spending money on a larger body (60D or 7D), I decided to put up with the awkward grip and instead invest in lenses. I'd like to get a battery grip for my T2i, and I'll probably go for one of the third-party options, because Canon's are priced way too high. "
    Agreed on all accounts. Even the hands part.
  • @dachen:  The 28-135 won't be very wide on a crop sensor camera like the 7D, as it's more intended for the full frame models. Try one out, and evaluate the field of view for yourself at 28mm to see if it's wide enough. There's also the 18-135, which would be more versatile, but it isn't the best lens in terms of image quality. I would recommend one of the Tamron or Sigma 17-50 F/2.8 lenses instead for the standard zoom length. Canon makes a 17-55 F/2.8, which is apparently an excellent lens, but it's also much more expensive ($1200!). What lenses do you have right now?

  • @dachen:  If you can get by with a widest focal length of 50mm, then 28 or 24mm should be no problem.