What's the best camera that will fit in my girlfriend's purse?

Created by Suicrat on March 15, 2012, 6:41 p.m.
  • Ah, Suicrat. Your endless catalogue of color-matched-yet-visually-uncomfortable avatars always makes me pause mid-thought. 

There are a ton of different purse sizes and configurations out there though man, do you know specifically what purse she mainly carries around?
  • Depending what she wants (a point and shoot I assume) there are some really nice CoolPix out there that fit the criteria.  I'm a big Nikon fan, so most of my suggestions will be along those lines. You really shouldn't be spending $600 on a P&S for amateur level photography.  There ARE P&S that hit that price range and are really really nice, but you won't get your money's worth out of them unless you're pretty into shooting already.

S8000:  About $250, one of those point and shoots that is almost on the verge of being an SLR.  Good gateway model to getting into an SLR, still pretty portable and easy to just pull out. 

S70: Not quite as high fidelity in the shots it takes as the S8000, but really really slim and portable.  Very sexy looking camera with a nice OLED display for the back.  Takes pretty solid shots and you can keep the thing in a pocket, nevermind a purse. 

S1000pj: Maybe around $300, between the previous two models in terms of costs.  It takes nicer shots than the S70 but not as nice as the S8000, not quite as portable as the 70 either.  It does have a built in projector though, which can be nice if you want to show the pictures you took to a room without connecting it to another device. 

There's not many DSLRs that you are going to be able to fit in a purse, unless it's a pretty sizable purse.  Nor would I want to carry around my DSLR in anything but a camera bag anyway.
  • I recommend getting your girlfriend a bigger purse. 
  • @Suicrat:  i like the canon powershot digital elphs. they update their line every year, so last year's models are very reasonably priced on amazon. i would go with one that's shoots better low-light photos than one with a bigger sensor (iso vs megapixel). you also might want to find out if your gf plans on taking any video with the camera, since not all point and shoots have good video quality.
  • I can't say enough nice things about the Cybershot series. I love mine.  This is a newer version of what I have that has favorable reviews:
    http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Cybershot-DSCW120-Digital-Optical/dp/B0011E4N5C/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1273182448&sr=1-15  

Trust me, image stabilization is so worth it. A lot less blurry photos of quick action.  
  • @norman said:
    " @Suicrat:  i like the canon powershot digital elphs. they update their line every year, so last year's models are very reasonably priced on amazon. i would go with one that's shoots better low-light photos than one with a bigger sensor (iso vs megapixel). you also might want to find out if your gf plans on taking any video with the camera, since not all point and shoots have good video quality. "

I agree.  Canon makes a great camera, and the Elphs are very small.  I've never been too crazy about the Cybershots.  I actually steer away from Sony for religious reasons.  I hate that they came out with their own propriertary flash memory, as if we needed yet another form factor.  Although I think they finally conceded to losing that battle.
  •   
    I have a Samsung U10,and i think its perfect,and its really small.
  • @norman said:
    " @Suicrat:  i like the canon powershot digital elphs. they update their line every year, so last year's models are very reasonably priced on amazon. i would go with one that's shoots better low-light photos than one with a bigger sensor (iso vs megapixel). you also might want to find out if your gf plans on taking any video with the camera, since not all point and shoots have good video quality. "
    I'll +1 this.  They are small but very usable cameras with good auto modes.  However, you can manually adjust a lot of the settings.  And since you can usually find great deals on them, I'd recommend them :)  Your significant other will be pleased :).  Or if she's like my girlfriend and chose a colorful camera over a powerful camera... lol :P  The Samsung with the front facing secondary lcd screen and rear facing touch screen is nice aswell, i suppose xP.  (I think.. it's the Samsung T2205 or something similar)

• @Alexander said:
    " I'd agree with Norm in that you'd be best to go for something that performs quite well in low light. However, just because a camera offers ISO 3200, doesn't mean shots taken at that ISO aren't going to look noisetastic. 
    Flickr is a great tool for researching cameras you want to buy, you can find all photos taken with a particular camera and make up your own mind as to what level of quality you (or rather she) would be happy with. 
    http://www.flickr.com/cameras/canon/powershot_s90/ "
    Good idea, I did that when looking for what camera to buy for myself :)