Movie Cameras, Folks

Created by Dan on March 15, 2012, 6:40 p.m.
  • @1 said:
    " I need a camera. "  
    What kind of projects?
  • @vidplayer said:
    " Has anyone used the FlipHD cameras? "
    I haven't even heard of them until now, but the quick search I did has me interested. Are these supposed to be very good quality, or is it "HD" in comparison to what cameras like that usually capture?
  • Friggin rich people....
  • @gia said:
    " For work I have a nice Panasonic HD hand-cam, but I have to say that some of the videos I've seen shot in the Flip camera almost match it for quality. "
    That's intriguing, they aren't particularly expensive either. I'm assuming it captures on to SD or some kind of internal storage?
  • @gia said:
    " @Dan: It's internal storage-- they market it as "120 minutes" and "60 minutes," which are 8gb and 4gb respectively. "
    Wow. These things continue to sound nicer.  

Also roughing fools up for memory devices is always a delightful experience. 
  • @gia: As far as video goes they seem very comparable. It would appear that the striking difference is the audio quality. The Flip's seems not so great. Thanks for the comparison videos! This is definitely something I'll be looking in to more after I grab a larger camera like I mentioned in the original post. Something like the Flip that I could easily carry around is very appealing. 
  • @SmithSyndicate:    

Got it for ya. :)  For future reference under the insert tab you click html, then just copy and paste the embed code there. Also upon actually watching the video that camera does seem quite nice. Why have I not been hearing about these crazy little portable cameras? Last I heard things that size could only record like a cell phone camera. :P
  • @Dan: I'm actually surprised you hadn't heard of the Flip cameras. Those were really big this past holiday season and Amazon had tons of deals on them. I plan on picking one up soon depending on pricing and stuff.
  • @godslam said:
    " @Dan: I'm actually surprised you hadn't heard of the Flip cameras. Those were really big this past holiday season and Amazon had tons of deals on them. I plan on picking one up soon depending on pricing and stuff. "
    I myself am surprised. The last similar thing I saw was a little camera my cousin had. It was basically the size of a FlipHD, but it could only record ten or so minutes at SD. I've had my head too wrapped up in the shoulder-cam idea to notice these nice little things.
  • @Dan: I do understand that a camera that was either similar to the Flip or was another model of the Flip-- heard Will mention it so I'm sure there'll be something on the site about it eventually! --that has a microphone jack. 

But yes, a 3.5mm mic jack was a big part of why I got the Panasonic. Its built-in mic is actually quite good in most scenarios, but when you're at a big show (be it for electronics, video games, comics, or anime!) a unidirectional mic that won't absorb as much of the ambient noise is a godsend.  

Of course, on the other hand, with the microphone in the Panasonic will only record audio in mono, which provides yet ANOTHER fun challenge, since I do my editing in iMovie and iMovie has just enough stuff to be way more useful than any of the relatively "easy" video programs I've tried, but not quite enough to really be awesome software-- like, say, no advanced audio settings whatsoever. :\ (I expect someday I'll just give up and try a copy of Final Cut and slooooowly learn my way around it like I've done with Photoshop since I started high school, but that's a rather expensive venture, so we'll see.)
  • Samsung but dont remember the number.
  • " @Dan: I do understand that a camera that was either similar to the Flip or was another model of the Flip-- heard Will mention it so I'm sure there'll be something on the site about it eventually! --that has a microphone jack. "  
    Hmm.. I think it was the Kodak Zi8 he mentioned.

• @vidplayer: I've watched video my friend has shot with the FlipHD, and when you have lots of lighting, the quality is fairly good.  But when the lighting isn't the greatest, noise gets to be a problem.  The video is still workable, but can't match the quality of cameras with larger sensors.  Audio is also an issue, but for the kinds of videos the Flip is intended to shoot, it works.  I think if you plan on doing a lot of shooting action/casual/whathaveyou for fun stuff outside using natural light, the flip is a good thing :-)