Best camera/DV camcorder for live concert recordings

Created by FurtiveFox on March 15, 2012, 6:37 p.m.
  • So I go to a lot of concerts and more and more bands and venues are letting you in with cameras.  I love checking youtube after I go to a show and faving all the videos from that show, but the quality is always hit or miss.  Some cameras pick up the audio no problem and others sound like shit.  I asked one person who posted some videos what camera he used and it was a Sony Cybershot DSC-T200.  I've also heard some other people say the Cybershot gets good quality videos at live shows.  Personally I'd like something more akin to a HD DV camcorder.  I'm booked on the 311 cruise in March and I defiantly want to be able to record some memories from that trip so if anyone has a camera that gets decent audio at live shows lemme know what you're using.

Thanks in advance.
  • Pretty much any handheld camera is going to have shoddy sound from the internal mic, a good external shotgun mic might would better or if you can get in good with the sound engineer who will let you jack into the mixer ;-)
  • @WolfOfOne said:

" a good external shotgun mic "

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/306400-REG/AKG_2168_Z_00040_C568_Short_Shotgun_Microphone.html
  • @Helushune: Wow, that's expensive but will definitely get the job done.  Shure makes a decent shotgun mic for around $240 or so; however, I can't remember the model # (It's been a long time since I've looked for one).
  • @WolfOfOne: Not even the most expensive one they sell (think $8k for one).  I get their catalog in the mail and nearly dropped it when I saw the pricing on some of them.

• @Helushune: heh, I don't doubt that at all, if only i was rich enough to afford it! :D