So what are your favorite three books that you read of all time?

Created by BaskervilleManor on March 15, 2012, 6:30 p.m.
  • 1) thus spake Zarathustra - Nietzsche : god is dead, baby, god is dead 2) history of ancient Greece - lourie : the history of ancient Greeks is dark and mysterious 3) cosmopolis - Dan delillo : the rat became the unit of currency
  • Signal To Noise - Eric Nylund (Underrated author who has more than Halo books)

Song of Ice and Fire (the first three really)

Harry Potter

The Kingkiller Chronicles (so far at least)

Red Storm Rising - Tom Clancy (went through a real Clancy thing as a teen)

• By the way, this thread is awesome. I revisit it a few times a year to look back on people's favourites for book suggestions.

So, definitely bump. If you have some (new?) favourites, feel free to share them!

• Okay, I'll play. The problem is there will be repetition here:

1. 1984 - George Orwell. Of the two big dystopian 'classics' (the other being Brave New World by Aldous Huxley) I have to go with Orwell. It's scary what he got right and it's amazing just how much of this book has seeped into the vernacular of western culture. It also has the advantage of just being a bloody good read.
    2. Catch 22 - Joseph Heller. Again, another one which has probably introduced a concept to mainstream society, even those who have never read the book will have heard of the catch. Later in life Heller was accused of never writing another book as good as Catch 22. He famously replied 'neither has anybody else.' He may have been right.
    3. The Dice Man - Luke Rhinehart. I love the idea behind this book. It's about a psychiatrist who is bored because he thinks he has done everything in life for the first time (ie, got drunk, made love, walked on a sandy beach, travelled to another country) when he realises there are hundreds of things which he has never tried simply because he is afraid of the consequences. He decides to use the roll of a die to make his decisions for him. It's been a long time since I read it but I think there is some very clever fourth wall stuff in there. It's an excellent book and one which I don't think has been suggested so far in this thread.
  • @BaskervilleManor:

1. Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

2. Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

3. Abandon by Meg Cabot

They're all fantasy which is my favorite genre. Of course, I have many other favorite books and series alike, but these books are so fascinating and thrilling in an almost inexplicable way. Reading is my hobby and I am writing articles for blogs. My latest blog post was about my favorite book and I am also working as a technical writer for different services!

• 1. Haroun and the Sea of Stories - Salman Rushdie
    2. The Nick Adams Stories - Hemingway
    3. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintanance - Robert Persig
  • I like some off the wall stuff,

The Long Walk, Richard Bachman aka Stephen King

One hundred teenage boys participate in an annual walking contest called "The Long Walk." Each Walker must maintain a speed of at least four miles per hour; if he drops below that speed for 30 seconds, he receives a verbal warning. A Walker who slows down again after receiving three warnings is "ticketed." The meaning of this action is intentionally kept vague at first, but it soon becomes clear that "buying a ticket" means to be shot dead by soldiers riding in half tracks along the roadside

Infected, Scott Sigler

Perry Dawsey is 6-foot-5, 265 pounds of angry ex-linebacker. He knows all too well that if he doesn’t control his quick temper, people get hurt. Through constant focus, he has locked his violent past away in the deep dungeons of his mind.

Contagious, Scott Sigler

Book II of the Infected trilogy

Across America, a mysterious pathogen transforms ordinary people into raging killers, psychopaths driven by a terrifying, alien agenda. The human race fights back, yet after every battle the disease responds, adapts, using sophisticated strategies and brilliant ruses to fool its pursuers. The only possible explanation: the epidemic is driven not by evolution but by some malevolent intelligence.

Pandemic, Scott Sigler

Book III of the Infected trilogy

Five years after the end of CONTAGIOUS, the world faces a horrific new threat that begins in Lake Michigan’s deepest, darkest, coldest place. The cataclysm of the Orbital’s efforts goes global — what began with a single man now threatens seven billion people.

Hitchhikers guide, I have the leather bound 4 volume trilogy edition

Harry potter

hunger games,

• i have issues saying a singluar book but my fav series are

1) MTG Novels (the brothers war arch is my fav of them)

2) Harry potter

3) LoTR / Hobbit

4) Circue De Freak (the books are way better than the movie)

5) Vampire Cronicals by ann rice

6) Ensitnes theroy on black holes and time warps as presented by stephen hawking

• Really hard and ever changing but here are som great books.

Kafka on the shore - Haruki Murakami (All of his books are good but this stands out)

JPod - Douglas Coupland

Invisible Monsters - Chuck Palahniuk

Anything by Terry Pratchett is good and I really enjoyed the Martian but I´m not sure how it will hold up in the long run.

• Puckoon-Spike Milligan.

Taking on the world.-Ellen Macarthur

Transglobe expedition-Ranulph finnes.

• The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck The Dark Tower Series (especially Drawing of the Three) -Stephen King Into Thin Air - John Krakaurer
  • Somebody else mentioned it a couple of years back...

Childhood's End -- Arthur C Clarke

The Dark Tower series -- Stephen King

American Gods -- Neil Gaiman

I have to say Gaiman is probably my favorite author currently -- I've not read a book from him that I didn't really enjoy -- and I've not gotten into his graphic novels yet... but Graveyard Book, Anansi Boys, Neverwhere, The Ocean at the End of the Lane -- all great reads.

1. The Wife of Martin Guerre - Janet Lewis
    2. Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks
    3. Lirael - Garth Nix
  • No particular order on this:

Jurassic Park - Michael Crichton

The Millennium Trilogy - Stieg Larsson

The Dark Tower series - Stephen King

Kind of a cheat with two series, but I treat them as a single work. You can't jump into the Dark Tower at book 4 and know what's going on.

1. Lord of the Rings
    2. Dune
    3. The Wizard of Earthsea
  • @beren8 said:

1. Lord of the Rings
    2. Dune
    3. The Wizard of Earthsea

That should be "A Wizard of Earthsea". Edit did not work.

• My classics are

1. Swiss Family Robinson - Johann David Wyss
    2. Anne McCaffrey's Dragons of Pern, especially the Harper Hall trilogy
    3. Emerald House Rising - Peg Kerr. This book is fantastic, with a neat take on magic and world building. Its been out of print for years, but well worth picking up if you can find it since there are no digital versions that I've found.

I used to devour Lord of the Rings (specifically the first half of Two Towers) and Mercedes Lackey's Velgarth books - Heralds of Valdemar and others, but I've either read them so much I'm sick of them, or I've outgrown the writing styles.

• Seeing as many of my favorite books have already been mentioned ill add some not in the lists that I love...

Magician - Raymond E. Feist (and follow-up books)

Daughter of the Empire saga - Janny Wurts & Raymond E. Feist

The Wheel of Time series - Robert Jordan

• 1. Invisible Cities Italo Calvino 2. Pilgrim at Tinker Creek Annie Dillard 3. Calvin and Hobbes Sunday pages 1985-1995 Bill Watterson
  • @Higgins73 Invisible cities is great, required reading for my architecture degree actually! Which city is your favorite/ do you find most interesting?

1. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Stieg Larsson)

2. A Big Boy Did It and Ran Away (Christopher Brookmyre, or anything else by him)

3. The Fountainhead (Ayn Rand)

• 1: Harry Potter Series

2: Neverwhere- Neil Gaiman

3: One Man's Wilderness- Richard Proenneke

Harry Potter is the series that sparked my love for reading when I was younger. Neil Gaiman is a phenomenal author. One Man's Wilderness is a book I think everybody interested in making should read. Proenneke goes into the Alaskan bush and makes everything he needs from nature or reclaims used things that he got in his supply drops. It is in journal format and I would recommend to anyone.

• @archudson that is so interesting that they would include that book in your degree requirements. My favorite city has always been city of Zobeide. "The first to arrive could not understand what drew these people to Zobeide, this ugly city, this trap."

• in no particular order

sword in the storm - David Gemmell

Game of thrones - George r r martin

the crystal shard- R A Salvatore

picking up The Martian next week, I am sure it will make my top 5 by the sounds of it.

• My favorite three novels would have to be, in no exact order

• Dune by Frank Herbert
    • Jurassic Park by MichaelCrichton
    • American Gods by Neil Gaiman
  • Douglas Adams - The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy - A Trilogy in 5 Parts.
    Terry Pratchett - Pretty much any of them, but if I had to choose.... Uhhhhhh..... Mort.
    Tom Clancy - The Hunt for Red October

Honourable mentions:

Stephen Clarke - 1000 Years of Annoying the French
    Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman - Good Omens
    Bill Hicks - Love All the People
    Bill Bryson - A Walk in the Woods & Down Under
    Mario Puzo - The Godfather
    Brian Shul - Sled Driver
    Douglas Adams & Mark Carwardine - Last Chance to See

Got to admit that I am an audiobook junkie, so for the last few years I've been going through most of my books via Audible or buying them from ebay and ripping the CD's.

I do still love books. Probably too much. Between me and the other half, we've got 7 ereaders, but we still buy more physical books than digital. We keep moving boxes full into storage as we're trying to empty the flat to sell it, but we keep filling the shelves up... Oops.

• American Gods - Neil Gaimen

Nuromancer -Neil Stephenson

Snowcrash - William gibson

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams

Surely You're Joking Mr Feynman! - Richard Fynman

No numbers because I cant order these best to worst I just love em all !

• Truth is told your creative writing capacities have motivated me to begin my own blog now. Truly the blogging is spreading its wings quickly. Your write up is a fine example of it. It was crystal clear, continue sharing. Go for this essay writing service reviews to have a wonderful assistant in writing and even you can get the guidelines too. https://sites.google.com/site/bestessaywritingservicereview