Nook appropiate for a college student?

Created by jakowal92 on March 15, 2012, 6:25 p.m.
  • The nooks are great devices but, If I were you, I would not trust the Barnes & Noble ecosystem for your content.  What you need is an open device that can access any number of e-book sellers and content sources.  Get yourself a nook color and root it with cyanogenmod.  Then, you will be able to access Kindle, Google Books, and Barnes & Noble nook content, as well as all of the latest Android Gingerbread apps, on a single device.
  • You can answer this question by searching Amazon and Barnes & Noble for textbooks from classes in your major. See how many you can find. Whichever store offers more is obviously better for you. If you can only find the books online in PDF form, neither a Kindle or a Nook e-reader will be a very good choice. The Nook Color or any other tablet would be better for that format.

• @WesleyFenlon said:

You can answer this question by searching Amazon and Barnes & Noble for textbooks from classes in your major. See how many you can find. Whichever store offers more is obviously better for you. If you can only find the books online in PDF form, neither a Kindle or a Nook e-reader will be a very good choice. The Nook Color or any other tablet would be better for that format.

Barns and Noble has a clever trick to make students think their textbooks are available for the nook.  It's called Nookstudy. Avoid it like the plague.  Total rip off and so many students fall for it.  (Note that the textbooks don't actually work with the e-reader).
  • it's might be hard to find an ideal advice for $200.

I am getting an iPad as a graduation gift. It supports kindle, iBooks, Nook, and a variety of other ebook services.

Plus, it has full PDF support, and is just a lot more versatile.

But, it's pricey and is not exactly very light.
  • @Jayross said:
    it's might be hard to find an ideal advice for $200. I am getting an iPad as a graduation gift. It supports kindle, iBooks, Nook, and a variety of other ebook services. Plus, it has full PDF support, and is just a lot more versatile. But, it's pricey and is not exactly very light.
    and reading on an iPad hurts your eyes after a short while.
  • I also use nooks devices, but I like it

• Now I see something need to be fixed

• My son has Nook but he uses it very rarely. I think the smartphones or iPads are more convenient because you can access Kindle, Google Books, and etc. along with other useful platforms such as https://samplius.com/free-essay-examples/psychology/ and so on, which can extremely ease the studying process. Moreover, everyone can find anything in any place and at any time.