George RR Martin writes his books on a Dos machine with Wordstar 4.0

Created by StephenWestervelt on May 14, 2014, 1:09 p.m.
  • This was too good not to share

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5REM-3nWHg

Stephen

• The Nerdist interviewed him awhile ago and he talks about this in depth. Can't believe he is that stuck in his ways

• well, never change a running system, or so they say.

i do sympathise with his aversion against programs that try to be smart, though. nothing consumes as many unnecessary hours as negotiating when a supposedly smart program does something right and when it does not, catching every instance where it went astray, and setting it all up in the least painful manner.

• Its not too surprising, I have plenty of customers that Like their old tech better than their new stuff. At times its much more work and is more complicated in some ways to tend to stuff. But It pays well. Since most at this point realize that the support they are getting is very very limited. But feel its worth it. Had some extremely fun adventures with dos and gigabit network encapsulation :)

• He should get a Mac and use WriteRoom. I'm not much of a writer myself, but this would be good for the simple experiance he wants but with modern features like, y'know, backup!

• Automatic Backup probably not as big of a thing to him, You get use to having to making and maintain multiple backups of things, and you don't rely on it to do that stuff for you.

The easier stuff becomes the more you take it for granted and the more you expect from it.

• Automatic savepoints are used to store large amounts of information.

• I know that freelancers use large supercomputers to back up data. Such sites https://ca.edubirdie.com/essay-writing-help may store information so that unique text cannot be lost during transmission. This factor helps not to lose unique information and create new ones. I remember a unique case when Oxford students created the first prototype of a cloud database.

• The first supercomputer was created using the correct allocation of external memory.

• That implies that GRR actually writes books. I think anyone who's been reading from the start knows that he chisels them into stone and then throws the stone tablets off a cliff onto a glacier for transport to his publisher.