We love Evan and Katelyn's videos on YouTube (we're guessing you do too), so we were THRILLED when they agreed to take part in Project Egress. (Especially when their part came in that pretty box! So cool.)
Read on for more about Evan and Katelyn, as well as production notes on their build!
Bio: Evan and Katelyn are a husband & wife maker-team sharing projects on YouTube. These projects are sometimes practical, sometimes totally goofy, and you can often find them cracking dad-jokes and talking to their "Supurrvisor" (aka their cat). When they're not making things, they're playing games on Evan & Katelyn Gaming. They met when they were 18 and got into DIY when they fixed up their first house, and their goal is to show that making doesn't have to be intimidating.
Artist statement: "We are so excited to be part of the awesome team that recreated the Apollo II Command Module hatch for Project Egress! We immediately thought of airbrushing our piece with thermochromic ink (aka mood ring juice), because the color map visual made us think of computer simulated structural stress. 50 years ago we sent people to the moon on Apollo 11 without resources like this, so we thought the juxtaposition was appropriate. Huge thanks to Adam Savage and the whole team for organizing this and continuing to inspire people to make things and follow their curiosities."
Before production: Threads were modeled into the 3d file because we wanted the parts to resemble the original Apollo 11 parts as accurately as possible. There were also concerns about accuracy, as 3d prints are sometimes 1-2% dimensionally innaccurate and we want this to fit smoothly into the assembly. With threads, the final length could be adjusted on site.
Method of production: Laser cured resin (Stereolithography or SLA) was chosen because it was the most accurate way to produce the fine threads needed.
Method of finishing: Thermochromic liquid crystal 12 color ink was chosen because it reminded us of computer simulated structural stress. 50 years go when we sent people to the moon on Apollo 11, we had nowhere near the resources we have now, so we thought the juxtaposition was appropriate.
Further thoughts: The ball joints fused together during the print because the printer could not make such a small gap, but after checking the master assembly model it was concluded that the piece would still work.