I want a better tech/gadget/pc/general nerd interest site. I want a site that works for the reader, free of annoying, intrusive, and obnoxious ads. I want a site that tells the truth about everything, whether they say something is awesome or terrible. I want a site that’s incorruptible, focused 100% on telling me whether a new piece of kit is worthy of my hard earned money. I don't know of any sites that cover all of the topics that I'm most interested in and take the ethical stand that I'm absolutely convinced is necessary to make any general-interest site covering technology succeed, so I found some like-minded folks, and launched it myself.
This is just the first post on the site, but I expect it to be the most important. Why? Because this is where I lay the general ground rules for the site. It's pretty simple stuff, but I think it distinguishes Tested from any of the other sites out there today. Here are the rules:
- We work for you. You are the reason we’re here. This is your site. Without you we are nothing.
- We don't compromise. We stand behind every single piece of content on the site.
- We test so we can separate the gear that’s awesome from the gear that sucks. This is our job.
- We won’t run crappy, annoying, or dangerous ads, but we will run ads that are topical and relevant to you.
- We will tell the truth. We will endeavor to be perfect, but when we err, we'll admit it.
- We're more than a buying site, we're users too. We'll show you how to squeeze every ounce of awesome from the gear you already have.
- We won’t engage in fanboyism. We will evaluate products based on their individual merits, not an irrational love of the companies that spawn them.
- We won't be cynical. We live in an age of wonder and revolution, full of amazing technology that's advancing faster every day. Also, cynicism sucks.
- We won't accept shitty hardware, software, or services. We do not brook failure. We reserve the right to punish bad products.
- We're going to open Tested up to you guys. But with great power comes great responsibility. Act like an adult, and please don't be a dick.
- We’re going to have fun. Lots of fun. We’re here because we're nerds, and we love tech. You should plan to have fun too.
- This is just the beginning.
We've got a lot of great content going up this week (and next week, and the week after that and... well, pretty much until you stop coming to the site), so dig in and let me know what you think. In the meantime, check the video below to get an idea of the type of tests that we'll be running at Tested.