Thankfully for all of us, this microscopic protist nicknamed the “brain-eating amoeba” has a very low chance of infecting human bodies. Unfortunately, even a low chance is still a chance. This little parasite, which is normally found in warm freshwater places like lakes and rivers, has earned its nickname--upon penetration of a human system through the mucous membranes of the nose, it immediately starts traveling upwards to the brain via the nerve fibers. The amoeba has a unique sucking valve on its perimeter that allows it to consume brain cells, continuing until your brain shuts down. Once it’s in you, the fatality rate is a staggering 98%.
Photo credit: CDC Public Health Image Library