Since you requested input as to what to test / questions about the Glowforge:
1) Are you limited in any way by Glowforge (NDA, whatever) in what you can discuss or show?
2) Can you do a walkthrough of the UI?
3) Can you do some testing regarding bed placement - e.g. mark off a 2x4 square on a board, drag a 2x4 square (from a file) onto it using the UI (zooming to the max to ensure placement) and then see how precise it is?
4) Can you measure the error between drawing something on the board and cutting it? Meaning, draw a set of nested rectangles on several different thicknesses of materials, then use the trace/engrave function and measure the precision as you go out from the in-lid camera.
5) Can you measure the beam kerf?
6) Can you place a maximum-sized piece of material in the bed, then engrave a maximum-sized rectangle on it, to show the limits of the bed and laser-able area?
"6) Can you place a maximum-sized piece of material in the bed, then engrave a maximum-sized rectangle on it, to show the limits of the bed and laser-able area?"
I'll ditto your list, except I will say, right now, #6 about cut area would be rather moot since they've already said they are temporarily shrinking the cut and engrave area via software. So it wouldn't be indicative of what production units should be
Right. I'm more interested in the placement of that rectangle on the bed size (more towards the front or back, centered between the sides?) Dan's given some vague answers on the forums but something more exact would be what I would expect from guys who test!
Also, I imagine this is possibly prohibited by NDA, but can you post photos of the inside? Would love to identify which microcontroller etc. is being used as they have stated that they will provide the firmware source.
Remember guys this isn't a retail version any info they give about their glowforge won't be the same as what we will get when they finally ship.
Good questions, but it is better to ask questions in the video comments. The crew rarely read the forums these days. I suspect a few of these will have answers that differ a fair bit by the actual release since they are software related, but it would be interesting to hear about kerf on thicker stock.