What is a Hipster?

Created by Wolverine on March 15, 2012, 7:11 p.m.
  • @Greg818 said:
    @mrv321: Kind of disagree regarding the Mac: I'm coming out of a meeting, it's 11AM, and there's a starbucks right across the street. So I open my mac to check emails while enjoying an espresso... Nothing really strange about that (to me). I mean, laptops are supposed to be carried around, the 13" Pro is light enough to be taken pretty much everywhere (and the Airs are even better for this)... I don't really see why it's weird. (I might be one of them, then)
    You spend 2 hours in an meeting

Your in an awful mood

You go to get coffee accross the street, to relax you. Why are you doing work during this?

Now the people in your office who work in close relations with you will probably have also been in that meeting and went to get coffe meaning they won't have emailed you. So it's other clients. Now this is email, if it's important they ring you... right? I have never once receied an email with a 20 minute deadline.

So let's say an IMPORTANT email comes through, would you really reply to it on the spot after having an awful meeting? Or would you rather wait 15 minutes be relaxed and send a better email.
  • What isn't a hipster?

• @mrv321 said:
    @Greg818 said:
    @mrv321: Kind of disagree regarding the Mac: I'm coming out of a meeting, it's 11AM, and there's a starbucks right across the street. So I open my mac to check emails while enjoying an espresso... Nothing really strange about that (to me). I mean, laptops are supposed to be carried around, the 13" Pro is light enough to be taken pretty much everywhere (and the Airs are even better for this)... I don't really see why it's weird. (I might be one of them, then)
    You spend 2 hours in an meeting  Your in an awful mood  You go to get coffee accross the street, to relax you. Why are you doing work during this?   Now the people in your office who work in close relations with you will probably have also been in that meeting and went to get coffe meaning they won't have emailed you. So it's other clients. Now this is email, if it's important they ring you... right? I have never once receied an email with a 20 minute deadline.  So let's say an IMPORTANT email comes through, would you really reply to it on the spot after having an awful meeting? Or would you rather wait 15 minutes be relaxed and send a better email.

Who said he was working? And who said it was a horrible meeting? You're assuming a lot of scenarios here...

He could be checking his personal email, which he can't do while at work...

Not sure about you, but I never give clients my cell phone number for that exact reason, I don't want to be bothered at all hours of the day or night. If it's a work phone, then maybe they'd call, maybe not, most people prefer email (myself included)... I don't think you understand just how much email is used in a corporate environment these days, it's the preferred method of communication for many. And yes, some emails are extremely important and cannot wait...

What is it to you if he's working while having a coffee? You realize that people don't always work in offices or cubicles right? Many work at home and some like to work in coffee shops rather than their home office, others rent out an office space to work at... And besides, not everyone has the same work ethics, maybe he's just a harder worker than you are, or maybe he actually enjoys his job and wants to reply to emails right away... 

I don't get why you're jumping on him because he's replying to emails while having a coffee, this is a free country is it not? He has the right to do whatever he wants with his time, including reading and replying to emails, maybe that's not what you'd do in his situation, but that's the point, you're not him, don't tell him what he can and can't do while having a coffee, if he wants to read and reply to emails, then let him do his thing and mind your own business.
  • @Mirado: And that's not it! I shop at American apparel, Five Four (also, it's only for some tees, when I moved to LA I had pretty much no casual clothes, those two were there... so), I wear Ray Bans kind of like the old ones (not the 80's one, the RB3293 if you really want to know), I used to have a Prius (I hated it, BTW), and I just signed up for a Nissan Leaf...  warm up the fat man. And I'm bordering on the typical hipster hair cut, like untamed mane, got to do something about it.

Now on a more serious note, tell me if know any not shitty 12 to 13 inch laptop with at very least 5 hours of batt, I would have taken it, but AFAIS, there isn't. And, the espresso is the one and only way to enjoy coffee. Anything else is just to drink coffee, but you don't enjoy it. And yeah, I'm a snob when it comes to coffee. 

@mrv321: Well, actually, for that particular case, I was the speaker... soooooo, wasn't really in a bad mood (even if some people were falling asleep, the same exact ones that actually asked for this meeting). Also, this meeting was for one of the many projects I'm working on, so only a very few people with whom I'm working with were actually there, and, believe it or not, people actually work when I'm not there (I know, right?). And sometimes people ask you things like "what's the spec for hard anodizing?", which is MIL-A-8625 Type III (which I do know from the top of my head even though I'm not american!); so, you can answer mails without really working. And when I consider it's work hour, I read and answer phone and mail. Except when I'm having a smoke, I don't answer... just enjoy the moment, sometimes have a chat with other bad people. 

And like mindtrip hinted, I mostly (well, supposedly) work from home, so I don't really have clearly defined working hour, that's one of the main drawbacks... so I kind of read/answer mails 24/7, and regardless of the place I'm at, but not so much with the phone. Plus I work on several projects that require me to work a several locations, so if I was answering phone or mails only when in an actually office... I wouldn't really answer often, plus I'd be a tad overwhelmed but the number of mails to read at once... So it's not so much that there would be really important emails, it's more that I hate to see 50 or even sometimes 100 emails to read at once... (or 374 like right know, and it will probably keep growing tomorrow cause I will not start reading before, like, thursday cause I just get demoralized by that number, after about a mouth of vacations)
    Also, given that when in a meeting I don't answer phone calls, some people tend to email you when they can't reach you, just so they don't forget, and again, like mind trip said, some people prefer emails over phone, and also, there are things that can't be done over the phone, like sending reports; and some things need to be done through email, to keep a trace.

From your reply, I'd hint that you still a student given the things that are eluding you. (don't take that as a criticism, it's merely a remark)  

@m1ndtr1p
    Thanks for defending me. You might have been a little hard on him, but you've got a point.
  • @Greg818: As long as you don't pull a "Tested? I used to post there, before it got popular" kind of line on someone that discovers this site, I think you'll be ok. :D

Also, Prius hate is good and proper. No one should drive a Prius. :D

• Hipster is a form of the douche bag.

• @Mirado: ROFL! I actually like tested before it got popular! I'm so laughing right now, because it's actually true, I liked it before it got popular because now that it is, it is just yet another computer site... and the forum is 80% about PC builds and, I really don't care for it, totally uninteresting for me. But it's not really about the thing being popular or not. But all kidding aside, I tend to be a hipster in that when something is overly advertised, when I hear and read about it everywhere, it tends to piss me off, and I don't even want to have anything to do with it (like when the new star wars went out, lord of the rings too... things like that). Everybody was talking about it... 

Well, the Prius wasn't a bad idea in 1998, but now, it's a tad idiotic, we can make decent electric cars (even in the 90's though) for not too much money... plus (hipster power) there are Prius everywhere, limping around like they need to be 20MPH under the posted speed (so basically, they go backward in school zones). No, actually, it's just that it still uses gas, but it's slow as fuck, you floor it, and you like "didn't the thing register the pedal angle or what?". At least the leaf is a full electric (but still slow as shit). My philosophy is a bit "keep the oil for fun". Want to drive my GMT900 for a long time, and let those who don't care about car have lethargic hybrids and electric cars. Still, I'll use the electric one as much as I can, like two weeks, then I'll drive it off a cliff (if it can climb it!).
  • @Deusoma: Probably because we all burned out that reference literally 30 minutes after the game came out in 1997. At least I did.

• @gerhabio

The writer(s) of that blog/website (http://www.hipsterrunoff.com/altreport) write like 13 year old girls, the site also looks like it was designed by someone of that age who knows absolutely nothing about web design (or design in general)... I couldn't even finish reading a single paragraph without wanting to scoop my eyeballs out with a rusty spork, that's how terrible it is.
  • Reading all this, I am curious what the current broadly accepted definition of a normal person is.
  • Got one: why do they wear glasses when they see perfectly? I'm talking clear lens here, not sunglasses.
  • @Deusoma: I think you missed the sarcasm of posting that I was over something because a lot of people use it in a hipster thread.

Eh, I guess it doesn't translate well over the internet, at least not without a picture of a guy in large glasses with a condescending look on his face.

• @Mirado: Yeah, it's so hard to give a tone to a post, right? 

So, I had a little thought for you guys this morning: I get out of the car, go to the trunk, power on the MacBook to check a 1000th time I have everything ready, shut the trunk turn around and what do I see? A guy checking me out with navy skin tight jeans, unbranded plain white T, one of those wide visored caps with white visor and navy body (matching the clothes' colors), whatever Nike sneaker that looked so worn out that even after being run over by a thousand semi truck, it would still have been in better shape, and white and red beats plugged in to whatever stuff that I don't know what it is, but sort of a smaller than tablet but bigger than smartphone, think and shiny black glass device, and off course: the lens less glasses! 

Seriously? What's up with that? 

(Internet hate power! by the way)
  • @Greg818: As long as you have your shots, you should be ok.

Alternatively, bait him away with a chi tea latte.

• @Mirado: yeah, and with extra feces sprinkles.
  • Long story short, they are people who use retro, nerdy, or hippy fashion and "principles" to appear "hip" by being "above the curve" and "not being a sheep."

Basically, wannabes.

• Your Scene Sucks is your one stop shop for learning about every type hipster imaginable.

• @MordeaniisChaos: .I'm not totally sure that applies to all hipsters. Look at Beans. Rather, don't look at Beans (the man in front with the mic is Dan Deacon, who's a pretty awesome musician but pulls a big hipster crowd with him). I mean...I'm not sure he operates on any principles beyond "sweaty" and he doesn't wear much in the way of fashion...or clothes at all for that matter.

I was at a (outdoor) Dan Deacon concert over the summer and he did nothing but challenge people to wrestle him.

• This thread is still going strong like this? Don't know if that's a good or bad thing tbh.

• @Deusoma: Why would I do that? You obviously never would of heard of it. I mean, not many people have, so it's ok, but....oh, my latte's getting cold. (But seriously, it's all good. I could have phrased it better.)

@100_Hertz: I'm going to start my own thread. This one is getting too mainstream for me.

(Oh man, I could do this all day.)

• Hipster is a derogatory term for an invented class of person that encompasses a surprisingly large spectrum of tastes and behaviors, mostly to encompass whatever the person using the word looks down on or is annoyed by.

It's like the elusive dudebro, a stereotype invented for no reason other than to be vilified.