Quantcast

iPad mini / comics

Created by thatlad on Jan. 31, 2013, 2:25 p.m.
  • Looking for the opinion of any iPad mini users who read comics on the device. I love my iPad 2 for reading comics but the size difference between paper comics and the iPad is noticeable. How does the mini affect reading comics? Do you spend most of your time in guides mode? How are splash pages?
  • Don't have an iPad mini but I do have a Kindle Fire. Full pages are hard to read, but the guided reading mode of Comixology works great.

• I was worried about this when I bought a mini to. I think I, just going to try and get used to guided mode.
  • @RavenSword:  is it really difficult to use in full page mode?
  • small text can already look crammed on a fullsized ipad (undestandably as a ipad is roughly of a full sized book 2/3 dimensionwise) add the terrible renderingspeed of the mini and its imho a bad coice for that use. especially as kindle only lets you view panels or the full page, no zoom. so zooming in giant panels/ double page spreads isn't a option there.

7" tablets are great for many uses but reading content formated for a4 isn't one of them.

• @o5ris said:

7" tablets are great for many uses but reading content formated for a4 isn't one of them.

That's my worry, I think tablet makers need to stop looking for new screens and other selling points and go for lighter. Apple have already shown they can trim some size off the ipad on the sides, next will be to work on efficiency and battery. That's where all the weight is

• Oddly enough, alot of manga I read seems to render fine on the mini. I guess it's just regular comics that are squished.
  • @RavenSword: manga is usually a far smaller physical form than a comic book. It stands to reason that the content of a page is designed in a way to accommodate the smaller area.

• @Lashe said:

@RavenSword: manga is usually a far smaller physical form than a comic book. It stands to reason that the content of a page is designed in a way to accommodate the smaller area.

Ah, that makes sense. Really, I don't find reading comixology on the mini too tough. I've only downloaded sample comics, though. But guided view if anything seems good.
  • I read all of my comics on Comixology on a Nexus 7. While I'll admit that reading on a full size iPad is better, the guided view makes for a really smooth (if not ideal) experience.

• @thatlad: The Mini is definitely inferior to the full-sized Retina iPad, especially for comics with Retina versions available. It's still pretty good though, and like everyone else said, in the guided mode, the only time it isn't great is when the guided mode fails.