Quantcast

32GB iPad 2 or 16GB new iPad?

Created by Tuffgong on March 18, 2012, 11:10 a.m.
  • I've been in a conundrum for a few days now. My budget is around 500 dollars for a new tablet but I'm torn between these two options. My primary purpose is to use this to take notes in class using a blue tooth keyboard, read PDFs/books, play some puzzle games, stream video over WiFi, and browse the web. Springing for a cheaper iPad 2 means I can get the storage and accessories needed to get at what I want to do and it will be immediately able to play and use legacy apps. However the new iPad will be markedly better at almost all the things I described but I can only afford the 16GB model. Additionally it's hard to tell how good legacy apps are going to be scaled but eventually all new apps will be exclusive. So you see my problem?

My question then is whether its worth getting into the iPad 2 --> iPad 4 etc. upgrade cycle or the iPad 3 --> iPad 5 cycle. While its not a first gen product, the new iPad is the first of its kind with that screen and right now its hard to tell if, like the iPad 2, the one that comes after will be the one to get. The question is whether I'll be fine with my iPad 2 32GB or will apps exclusivity for the new iPad make it fruitless over a year or so?

• Why do you think you will need 32gb? Honestly I can't justify $100 for 16gb of extra memory for a device that is almost constantly connected to the Internet. Writing this from the new iPad btw. 16gb. Speed and resolution upgrade are amazing IMO.
  • @jabbertrack said:

Why do you think you will need 32gb? Honestly I can't justify $100 for 16gb of extra memory for a device that is almost constantly connected to the Internet. Writing this from the new iPad btw. 16gb. Speed and resolution upgrade are amazing IMO.

The reason to get an iPad with 32GB is to have room for bigger and bigger new apps but for an iPad 2 I suppose those apps aren't going to work on it anyway making the point moot. The only "worry" I might have with the new iPad is the size of things but I'm so anal about space management I don't think it would be that big an issue. I just plan to use WiFi to stream movies and music (mostly videos), reading will either be web-based or MB sized PDFs. I guess you're right, why do I need 32GB?

Alternatively if I was going to get a cheaper iPad with the 2, it makes sense to just load up on space with it anyway since the 32GB model is cheaper by 50 bucks, which gives me some more room to get a sleeve and keyboard for typing money-wise. Besides the peace of mind of having a lot of space wouldn't hurt.

• just get the 16GB if you don't plan to load a crapload of games/local media on it or create videos/music on it.

i can't see myself installing more than one ore two "big games" at once (if even that many) and since i don't plan on storing music/movies on it that should leave 8+GB for documents/data, seems plenty. especially if the alternative is getting a 32GB ipad 2 instead, 1GB ram should improve the constant reloading of tabs in the browser that spoiled the tablet experience on any ipad to date and you get the better screen.

• I'd say get the 16GB. Having owned a 32GB iPad 1, you end up just collecting a bunch of apps that you'll use once/infrequently. I find myself purging apps and if I do it brutally/honestly, I doubt I need more than 8-10gb for apps and data. It should be noted I don't use the iPad for music, so take that into consideration.

• @tuffgong said:

I've been in a conundrum for a few days now. My budget is around 500 dollars for a new tablet but I'm torn between these two options. My primary purpose is to use this to take notes in class using a blue tooth keyboard, read PDFs/books, play some puzzle games, stream video over WiFi, and browse the web. Springing for a cheaper iPad 2 means I can get the storage and accessories needed to get at what I want to do and it will be immediately able to play and use legacy apps. However the new iPad will be markedly better at almost all the things I described but I can only afford the 16GB model. Additionally it's hard to tell how good legacy apps are going to be scaled but eventually all new apps will be exclusive. So you see my problem?

My question then is whether its worth getting into the iPad 2 --> iPad 4 etc. upgrade cycle or the iPad 3 --> iPad 5 cycle. While its not a first gen product, the new iPad is the first of its kind with that screen and right now its hard to tell if, like the iPad 2, the one that comes after will be the one to get. The question is whether I'll be fine with my iPad 2 32GB or will apps exclusivity for the new iPad make it fruitless over a year or so?

I feel that a 16GB iPad is not enough space. Just keep saving up your money until you have enough to buy the New 32GB iPad. The screen on the new iPad is well worth the money. But I know some people are inpatient and want to get it right away, but trust me just hold on and keep saving your money; you're going to be happy, trust me.

• @tuffgong: You always buy the middle, second-tier choice of the Apple iOS device lineup if you have the money to spare. If you buy an iPod Touch, you should get the middle model with 32GB of storage (there's no 16GB model yet sadly the entry model is still 8GB in size). If an iPad, the 32GB model is best choice overall.

• 16GB is not a good idea now that apps have all started to increase in size by 10-30%, you only get 14GB of space on the 16GB, 28 on the 32GB. It's worth going for the 32GB minimum.

• I suppose its important to mention that I'm a college student and don't have a job. As a result it's a question of how much a dent I'm willing to take out of my parent's funds for my education. I've resigned to wanting the new iPad if at all possible but if apps scaling for universal apps and older apps is poor then I might reconsider.

At this point I think my options are between a new 16GB iPad or none at all unless Will and Norm can demonstrate that no matter how you use it it's not enough space. While I understand both sides of the size argument, I'm willing to wait to see what the team say and how this pans out.

In terms of how I use it, like I said, I don't plan to store anything other than PDF's which right now my folder for this semester is 250MB. I think I'm a 70/30 split on 16GB/32GB.

• I would do whatever it takes, short of pimping myself out, to make $100 and get the 32GB model if you feel you'll need the space. The only time I ever came up against the 16GB limit is when I went on a trip and packed some movies on there, and DLed some songs to it because I was going to be without Internet.

In the situations you'll be in, I would assume you can manage with 16GB, you might have to put stuff on and then take it off, but really, it's a lot of space for the activities you mentioned.

Is there nothing in your room you can hock to someone else for $100? Go shovel some snow or mow some lawns :P

In all honesty, go with the best new iPad you can afford, that screen makes it a no brainer.

• I personally think that 32gb is the sweet spot, but given your situation with school a nd money I think I would recommend getting the new iPad since it won't fall off quite as soon as the iPad 2 may next year when the inevitable fourth generation model is introduced. You may find yourself needing to manage your memory a little bit, but if you're not sure when the next upgrade is in store for you then I would get the current gen for a bit of future-proofing.

• I'm really thankful to everyone whose helped me out here. I definitely plan on getting the new iPad but I'm going to wait to see what Will says about the iPad overall in addition to app size stuff. That will finally be the deciding factor between the 32GB and 16GB model.

• the only reason i went up to 32 G is because I like having 3-4 movies on it and I am so bad at deleting apps, also I am addicted to appshopper.com and I always get stuff when they are price down to free on a promo.

For what you described it seems like 16 is enough, you will appreciate the screen quality if you're going to read a lot.

• If you're not worried about data limits, and would even consider 16GB for the new iPad, I'd say get a refurb iPad2 16GB for $350 from Apple. Cheapest way to enjoy an iPad now.

For the new iPad especially, i bet you'd want 32gb. Everythings getting more demanding.

• After a few days of mulling over and 5 minutes of remembering I'm a student so I can write it off as a "school expense" on my parent's taxes, I bought a 32GB Wifi black.