16GB New iPad Big Enough?

Created by MjDailey on March 17, 2012, 8:14 p.m.
  • It was when apps weren't like 1-2 GBs, but yeah if you play a lot of games with it, you're gonna run out of space quickly. And obviously 16GBs doesn't hold a lot of music or movies.

• @mark_uses_parentheses said:

I think it's less a question of PLAYING a lot of games, and more a question of STORING a lot of games. I tend to play 2-3 ipad games at a time, and delete those which I've completed. They can always be redownloaded, but you're relying on cloud saves if you want to keep the completion progress.

So I should be alright then since I don't anticipate playing very many games on it at all?

• I only ordered the 16GB one. I have no intention of putting music or podcasts on it, I have an iPod Classic for that and I stream all my movies and videos. I think I'll be fine because I also usually only keep a few games on at a time unless they're small (I do that on my phone as well). I mainly play puzzle games, strategy and RPGs on touch screen devices so I shouldn't need too much space. I'm not getting any huge stuff like Infinity Blade, just Final Fantasy games which are under 200 MB, and games like Plants Vs. Zombies and Jetpack Joyride.

• @th3irdeye said:

I pretty much have my app ecosystem in place where there isn't anything I'd want to do that one of the couple pages of apps I have wouldn't accomplish the task and I have one or two of the bigger "retina" games (Infinity Blade II, etc.), I stream all of my music/video content, and any documents or extra things I don't need to access that often are stored in Dropbox. Currently have 9.9 GB free on my 16 GB 3rd gen. That being said you will probably go a bit crazy when you first get it and download ALL the free apps. I know I did when I first got my iPad 2. But you'll find that you don't need/use a lot of them and they are just wasting space. And anything you purchased can be re-downloaded later so it's no big deal if you delete it. In my opinion 16 GB is enough if you know how to work out of the cloud and don't get too greedy.

Cool cool. I'm already in the App Ecosystem through my iPhone and I was planning on mostly relying on music & video in the cloud anyway (Spotify & Netflix FTW).

@mark_uses_parentheses: Cheers.

• @mjdailey said:

So I want to get a new iPad, was thinking of just getting the 16GB one cuz $499 is already alot to spend on something like this for me but after hearing how large the new apps are is 16GB enough?

Anyone with a 16GB new iPad care to weigh in?

I tend to not use a ton of apps it will mostly be fore playing a few games, web browsing, reading comics with the Comixology app.

16GB will be fine. Look towards the future, Apple is. Cloud storage means that owning large amounts of hard drive won't matter (at least not for the average user.) So you play a few games. Just be conciseness about what is "installed." I play lots of games on my phone (that I paid for) and I know if I want to play them again i just need to re-download them.

If you are getting a tablet for the first time, look at last years model. Last years model should be dropping in price.

• This thread had me worried at first since I'm planning to buy a 16gb iPad 3 next month, so it's good to see that there are people who are comfortable with that. I initially thought I'd be okay since my iPad 1 with 32gb has never seen more than 20-25gb worth of stuff on it, and it's sitting right now with 8gb of audio on it right now that I never listen to and could easily take off, since I'd use my iPod on the go and could just do Home Sharing when at home.

Yeah, as long as you don't plan on keeping many videos (or a massive library of music) on there, you'll be fine.

That's not true at all, some games are 800MB alone, heck some are probably even more.

App size will increase further as they get the update to cater for the new screen. You can't opt to use an older version of the app either or just not use the higher res assets as the apps are universal across all the iPads. 16GB is a bad buy now.

• @happypup70 said:

@mjdailey said:

So I want to get a new iPad, was thinking of just getting the 16GB one cuz $499 is already alot to spend on something like this for me but after hearing how large the new apps are is 16GB enough?

I tend to not use a ton of apps it will mostly be fore playing a few games, web browsing, reading comics with the Comixology app.

16GB will be fine. Look towards the future, Apple is. Cloud storage means that owning large amounts of hard drive won't matter (at least not for the average user.) So you play a few games. Just be conciseness about what is "installed." I play lots of games on my phone (that I paid for) and I know if I want to play them again i just need to re-download them.

If you are getting a tablet for the first time, look at last years model. Last years model should be dropping in price.

Cloud storage doesn't really lighten the load, apps are what is taking up space now, they're all going up in size by 10-30%.

If you don't play any 3D games or want any music on there locally then you'll probably be fine, otherwise it's not really a good idea to get the 16GB. Which actually translates to only 14GB of space you can use.

• I don't plan on keeping videos or all my music on mine (spotify/pandora takes care of that), but expect 32gb to be the sweet spot I don't feel pressured to manage storage. Actually expect photos to take up most of the space. Eg. Already have 2GB of photos just from wondercon on my iPad now, tweaking in iPhoto. Dslr and MILC photos look soooooo good
  • With Plex I have access to all my home media and whatever else I stream from the Internet. If I know I'm going to be away from wifi I can cache stuff onto the device. Until they stop price gouging memory I am fine with 16gb.
  • @mjdailey said:

No a 16 GB iPad is not enough space. I suggest you keep saving up money and buy it when you have enough to buy the 32GB iPad. I know some people are impatient and want to get it right away; but trust me save your money and get the 32GB one, it is well worth the money.

• It depends on what exactly you need it for really. I buy a ton of apps (for my iPhone4), but still went with the 16gb iPad 3. The reason being is that the extra re-sell value of a 32 compared to a 16 was bugger all. It's really a convenience thing. All apps can easily be redownloaded once deleted. But also you can simply transfer them to iTunes and sync them back onto your device at a later device. Memory for PCs costs nothing nowerdays. I'd say it's simply not worth the extra cost other than for convenience sake.

• The re-sell of the 32GB 3rd gen iPad will be larger because the16GB isn't as attractive now that the apps have all started to increase in size because of the higher resolution. In a couple of months time I suspect they'll be some buyers remorse kicking in when a lot of apps & games have been updated to support 2048x1536 and/or the new quad core graphics.

• The new iPad is going to be my first tablet I've had and I think I'm going with the 32gb one, even with the price bump. I've got a 64gb iPhone 4S and even with 10gb free space I'm starting to sweat that I'll run out of space eventually.

• @defade: could not agree less

1. and most people i know that are happy with a 16GB have more than 50% free. i can't see that space filling up.

2. i doubt that, its good to consume content and use some apps. if you don't plan to play on that i doubt simple apps magically will get to 500+Mb for some art assets

3. i doubt it if i look at the resell value of the 1. gen ipads/3gs with a shitty resolution ... or any value in the past for a 12month old apple product

4. the rule for every product is usually, check your what you need and buy that, if not your requirements management is just bad. that goes especially for apple product since the high resell value and crappy warranty (1year) usually mean you end up buying the next gen in a year instead of extending apple care for attractive price.

5. is that so ?

bottom line is, if you want to store media play on the thing consider at least the 32GB if you just consume/read on the ipad the 16GB will usually still be fine

pull up data about the size of specific apps if you need to double-check your instincts.

That's what I went and did yesterday. I'm not sure where this and idea of ops taking up fourteen gigs of space came from, but all the apps on my iPhone (And I aim to have significantly fewer on my iPad) take up around 8GB total, including 800MB worth of GTA3 and the application data (Read: Offline Mode Music) of Spotify. I went on the App store or iPad to check up the sizes of the Apps I'm most interested in using and there were all measured in the double digit megabytes - even the Retina iPad Ready ones. Now sure, Application Data will increase many of their total sizes once installed, but from looking into it I really don't anticipate 16GB being as stifling as its made out to be, especially since I don't mind ditching Apps I'm not making much use of to free up space, safe in the knowledge I can get them back later.

Heck, it sure beats managing memory on Android. My Android Tablet is a total nuisance when it comes to managing space for Apps.

And it's not a question of 16GB users trying to "justify" a bad decision, it's simply that the extra $100 expense yields absolutely NO return for many people.

This is the case for me. A) Money's tight right now for me as I'm going to school and only work 3-4 months of the year. B) 99% of what I will be using the iPad for is reading, which takes up little space. C) I am not putting music on as I can simply use the Rdio app that is included in my subscription. D) I only keep a few games on my devices at a time anyway, and most of the games I will be playing are board games, Kairosoft games, strategy games, turn-based RPGs like Final Fantasy or Chrono Trigger and games like Sid Meier's Pirates. With past experiences with my Xoom, I know I won't use a ton of space on the device. After a year on my Xoom I still only used around 5 gigs of space and I had GTA3 and a ton of other games on it as well as music and movies.

• How long do you plan to keep it? Two years from now, even if apps are not much bigger, you'd have accumulated so many apps and games, and potentially movie rips for the stuff netflix doesn't have any given month, that that extra space would come in handy.

its a matter of being worry free, to not ever have to sit around meticulously managing your apps for space

• @mark uses parentheses said:

@defade Those numbers are cherry-picked, and occasionally misleading. iMovie quadrupled in size not because of retina display support, but because they added new functionality to the app. Most apps are seeing a 10-30% size increase when adding retina support (others, like Infinity Blade II, have mysteriously shrunk in size). If you were within 10-30% of your maximum space before, then you're probably wise to upgrade.

That was my observation too. Apps like Twitter, Kindle & Facebook are barely larger at all post-retina.

• Facebook didn't get upgraded yet. I think the 32gb is the one to get if you intend to play any games or have any music on the thing.
  • And tweetbot went up in size 2.5 times, not sure about Kindle. That makes sense as it is just text.
  • @Sooty said:

Facebook didn't get upgraded yet. I think the 32gb is the one to get if you intend to play any games or have any music on the thing.

That was my mistake, I was actually thinking of Alien Blue which is still pretty small. Brain drain caused me to type Facebook for some reason, possibly because that's where I was going next in my browser. Alas...No post editing yet :(

• I got the 16 GB and I am worried it may not be big enough. Would Apple let me exchange my 16 GB for a 32 GB?

• So I've now had my iPad (2012) for over a week, and I have to say storage isn't really a concern. I'm only using about half the space ATM and a chunk of that is Photos. I also have a couple of games like Jurassic Park Episode 1 which could easily be deleted to make space. In short, the 16GB iPad is still perfectly serviceable as far as I'm concerned.
  • @MjDailey: Whenever buying electronics never go for the base model. It's never worth the saving.

It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Because file management sucks, especially on iTunes.

• i think that 16 GB isn't enaugh.I Download a lot of apps and games and 16 GB fills fast so i bought a 32 GB and that is enaugh for me and my apps,music and games
  • I have survived just fine with a 16GB iPad. I use it to organize all my pdfs for school and play games and I still have 5GB free. Just cycle through games, once you finish one delete it. You can always get that game again if you need it. I don't have music on my iPad, I just use Rdio, which works quite well. The iPad app is nearly as janky as the Android app, which you have to force quit every 10 songs or so.

• @Ben_H: Same situation. I use iPad mostly for reading and web browsing and feel even 8 GB would have done the job. Apple knew that not everybody will need 64 GB and that is why they launched the 16 GB and 32 GB versions. I think I made the right choice with 16 GB as after storing 50 odd books, 150 songs, all apps that I normally use etc. I still have 6 - 7 GB free space. Do I need 32 GB? No way :)

• I bought a 16GB iPad 3. I regret the size a lot... I just got done deleting like 5 games off so I could put a single movie on my iPad. It is not fun. And I can only fit a few movies on at a time.

I feel like if I had 32gb I would have a lot more breathing room for switching stuff in and out.

You can survive with 16gb though if the cost is that big of a deal, but I would recommend getting the 32gb just so you don't have to worry about it.

• @DG991: I am in the same position. I also bought a 16 GB iPad and have realized that it fills up pretty quickly with just apps on it.