Quantcast

Why are all my ports closed?

Created by Fripplebubby on Nov. 17, 2012, 11:55 p.m.
  • Hey guys,

It is evident that my ports are unreachable. Websites like canyouseeme.org report that literally all of the ports I've tried are closed. For a while, I had just assumed this was an issue with the proprietary Asus router software I was running (my router is an RT-N12), but I flashed DD-WRT on there and the issue is just the same.

I'm running Win7, and my firewall is thoroughly disabled. I've tried conventional port-forwarding through DD-WRT and even DMZ (which should open every port). No luck. I must be behind some sort of double-NAT or something, but I don't have any idea what it could be. Any help would be great!

• What's your network setup like? Did your ISP give you a modem/router?

Often what happens is the Modem/Router makes the connection, and then you put your own router on the end of that and basically you're doing double NAT.

Solutions here are to turn the first router/modem into bridge mode, and let your ASUS router do the login part.. OR, make the ASUS router DMZ on the ISP router.

It all depends on the type of connection you have from your ISP.

• To my knowledge there is only one residential router between myself and my ISP. My setup is as follows:

• A satellite-ish dish on the roof (it connects to a signal being broadcasted on a nearby hill, not from space)
    • POE cable from the dish to a POE adapter
    • Cable from POE adapter to Asus router (probably ethernet? I'm really not sure)
    • Asus router to my primary PC via ethernet

The only other factor is another router I use as a network card for stuff plugged into the television, but I get all the same issues when that router is powered off.

Edit: Also, the Asus router was not provided by my ISP. It is connecting via 'automatic configuration - DHCP'.

• The POE adapter doesn't do any routing?

Is the WAN IP of your ASUS router, the same IP that you get when you go to www.ipchicken.com ?

• Indeed, my router's WAN IP differs from my public IP. My adapter is a Ubiquiti "UBI-POE-24-5". What do I do from here?

• @Fripplebubby: what do you get for open ports if you connect your computer to the poe adapter directly?

• @CrippleCaptain: Everything is still closed, as far as I can tell.

• it sounds like there is some routing going on before your router... have you called your ISP's tech support?

• @Fripplebubby: and you're sure you dont have a software firewall running (maybe one thats part of your antivirus)? and are you assigned a public ip address (the same address that if you check whatsmyip.com) or do you get an internal 192 address? when connected directly to the poe adapter?

• @CrippleCaptain: The WAN ip shown on my router's status page is an internal address, and through a direct connection to the poe my pc is assigned an internal address.

• @Fripplebubby: So then your modem is functioning as a router and must have its own nat firewall in place.

• Here's my network map

So, whalerage is the name of my PC, dd_wrt is my Asus router, and the two on the left have something to do with my ISP. Beyond that, I'm not sure what the deal is.