Why are all my ports closed?

Created by Fripplebubby on Nov. 17, 2012, 11:55 p.m.
  • Hey guys,

It is evident that my ports are unreachable. Websites like canyouseeme.org report that literally all of the ports I've tried are closed. For a while, I had just assumed this was an issue with the proprietary Asus router software I was running (my router is an RT-N12), but I flashed DD-WRT on there and the issue is just the same.

I'm running Win7, and my firewall is thoroughly disabled. I've tried conventional port-forwarding through DD-WRT and even DMZ (which should open every port). No luck. I must be behind some sort of double-NAT or something, but I don't have any idea what it could be. Any help would be great!

• To my knowledge there is only one residential router between myself and my ISP. My setup is as follows:

• A satellite-ish dish on the roof (it connects to a signal being broadcasted on a nearby hill, not from space)
    • POE cable from the dish to a POE adapter
    • Cable from POE adapter to Asus router (probably ethernet? I'm really not sure)
    • Asus router to my primary PC via ethernet

The only other factor is another router I use as a network card for stuff plugged into the television, but I get all the same issues when that router is powered off.

Edit: Also, the Asus router was not provided by my ISP. It is connecting via 'automatic configuration - DHCP'.

• Indeed, my router's WAN IP differs from my public IP. My adapter is a Ubiquiti "UBI-POE-24-5". What do I do from here?

• @Fripplebubby: what do you get for open ports if you connect your computer to the poe adapter directly?

• @CrippleCaptain: Everything is still closed, as far as I can tell.

• @Fripplebubby: and you're sure you dont have a software firewall running (maybe one thats part of your antivirus)? and are you assigned a public ip address (the same address that if you check whatsmyip.com) or do you get an internal 192 address? when connected directly to the poe adapter?

• @CrippleCaptain: The WAN ip shown on my router's status page is an internal address, and through a direct connection to the poe my pc is assigned an internal address.

• @Fripplebubby: So then your modem is functioning as a router and must have its own nat firewall in place.

• Here's my network map

So, whalerage is the name of my PC, dd_wrt is my Asus router, and the two on the left have something to do with my ISP. Beyond that, I'm not sure what the deal is.