Flagship Android: In-Depth Review Query (Galaxy S6, Moto X Style, LG G4)

Created by Ryakkan on Aug. 3, 2015, 2:52 p.m.
  • I'm in the market for a Mid-Late 2015 Android Device. The Motorola X Style (Pure Edition in the U.S.) has just been announced. I've been reading reviews by folks I trust in the industry and from my perspective. Norm and Will give some of the best reviews on the various devices on the market today. In a few of the In-Depth Reviews Norm has been using and championing the Samsung Galaxy S6 (Not Edge). I noticed however that in the most recent Still Untitled: The Adam Savage Podcast - Road Trips 7/28/2015 Norm has laying on the table upside down what looks to be the LG G4. I was curious to know why this was.

My reason for wanting to know comes down to several factors. I've been an iOS user for sometime now. In the past I have had a Samsung Galaxy S3 and had a fairly bad experience with it. However, things have changed with Android devices and they have matured as have iOS devices. The iCloud Music Library portion of Apple Music has been a disaster for me. Luckily about a month and a half ago I had uploaded almost 9,000 songs to Google Music which has been a lifesaver. I'm used to certain things that iOS has to offer it's customers. Features such as Touch ID that I love. I know that the Samsung Galaxy S6 features this as well, but many others are still lacing this feature. I like the idea of the Android Pure Experience and hate mucking that up with launchers that don't quite work right or apps that sound cool, but in turn are buggy and useless.

Are the features of the LG G4, such as a killer camera, gorgeous display and long battery life outweigh the bloatware and from what I can gather horrible update schedule on software updates often months after they've been available on Google Nexus Devices?

• I don't have the answer you're looking for, but I'll say this.

I'm a die hard Windows user. I'll stop using Lumia's only when they stop making them. That being said, the Moto X Style Pure SUV Turbo (whatever the hell it's called) is the first Android phone since, well, the Moto One X that has actually made me want an Android phone. (Yah know, assuming the camera doesn't suck donkey butt.) The only on paper knock against it that I can see is the lack of OIS, although wireless charging is also an odd omission. But the crazy amount of customization options almost make up for them. And for only $400 off contract, the 2015 Moto X is a steal.

It should also be noted that the all but confirmed 2015 Nexus 5 is being made by LG, so that's another phone to look out for.

• My Samsung Note 4 might be my favorite Android phone ever (I have had a few over the years). I am going to pass on the Note 5. I like having the ability to remove my battery and add an SD card.

• I was so looking forward to the Note 5. I've been wanting one since the Note 1 came out but it always looked and felt so cheap. Then the Note 4 came out and that looked great but my phone broke at the wrong time and I ended up with the HTC One instead. That was a great phone, but it's on its last legs right now and I've been holding out for the Note 5.

Then the details came out and I have to pass. I could live without swapping batteries, and I could live without the SD card slot if only they had a 128 gig version. 64 is not enough for me. I really liked the Write On Screen Without Turning it On feature.

Should I get a Note 4? I'm looking for a phone with a top of the line camera. That's one of the selling points for finally switching to Samsung. I'm so disappointed now that I have to make this decision. I thought I was set for the past few months and now I don't know what to go for.