Quantcast

Switching from iOS to Android. Advice?

Created by dagas on Feb. 10, 2013, 6:12 a.m.
  • Hi

I decided it was time to upgrade from my iPhone 4, specifically to get more screen space. The iPhone 5 has the same small width which means it is hard to type with my big hands and fingers and that is my biggest problem with the phone, not having another row of icons. It took hours of reading and watching youtube clips but I finally decided on the Nexus 4. Stock Android with direct updates from Google seemed like the closest to the iPhone I could get in terms of hassle free "it just works" operation.

What do I need to think about? I am really nervous making the switch having used iOS since iOS 1. I don't really use many apps. I just use Facebook and twitter and I have some games that I rarely play so I am not worried about being too invested into an eco system. But I am used to getting my podcasts through iTunes and I am not sure how to most easy and conviniently get my tested, giantbomb and other podcasts onto my phone,

I really hope it is a good phone. Here where I live the 16GB Nexus 4 costs just €50 less than the 16GB iPhone5 so I am not buying it because it is cheap even though I know it is cheap in the US. If only Apple had made at least a 4.5 inch screen I would have gone with them but from 3.5 to 4 seemed like a very small increase compared to the 4.7" Nexus. I even was really close to getting the 5.5 inch Note 2 but decided it was too much.

• I use Doubletwist as my main mp3/podcast player. Most peeps use a standalone music player and then a podcast app like pocketcast. Doubletwist is the closest to a android itunes clone. Its free but you have to pay for some add-ons then it get expensive but for me it's was worth it.

The one problem i have with doubletwist is that when its connected on my pc it will not recognize my S3. That's because Samsung uses a different way to connect to the pc. Solution:I just drag my music on my sd card and doubletwist will recognise the music. Podcast will be downloaded through wifi within the Doubletwist app.

Maybe you should wait a little while longer since Apple might announce a bigger Iphone?

Doubletwist app on my S3:

Lockscreen:

• How is the official music player on Android? Any way to tie the RSS feeds into it or something? I am used to using the stock apps on the iPhone so I am a bit unsure about having to find a 3rd party app for every function.

I already ordered the Nexus 4. I will probably just have to get used to it. I understand that by now Android has matured enough to rival iOS. Not like the Android 1.6 that was on the phones when I got my iPhone 4.

• The official music player is Google Music which is great but getting all your playlists ported over is a bit of a pain. You'll need to find a separate podcasting app.

The one thing that can really be a headache is if you're a Mac user. Some of the Apple Apps are really hard to get to be nice citizens in a multiplatform house.

If you're already in the google ecosystem on the web it does some great things without downloading anything at all.

• @dagas said:

How is the official music player on Android? Any way to tie the RSS feeds into it or something? I am used to using the stock apps on the iPhone so I am a bit unsure about having to find a 3rd party app for every function.

I already ordered the Nexus 4. I will probably just have to get used to it. I understand that by now Android has matured enough to rival iOS. Not like the Android 1.6 that was on the phones when I got my iPhone 4.

That's one of the great strengths of Android. When you're not happy with something you can change it.

I use Doubletwist because I came from IOS. I was looking for an app that combines music and podcast in one app and Doubletwist was the only one who did it on a good level.

• Doggcatcher was the go-to Podcast app a year or two ago. It's possible that it still is.

Add your casts, and it'll download them automatically, keep however many recent episodes you want, etc. It does cost $5.

If you live in a country that Google Music has launched in, then that is pretty exciting for you. If not, if you can get an american friend or an american proxy to activate your account on the service, then you should be able to access it no problem from there on out. supports FLAC uploads, too!

p.s. swiftkey is a better keyboard than android stock i find ;)

• On my Nexus 7 I just download the podcast directly from this site. It then appears in the Play Music app. Very easy and simple.

• @dagas I'm in the same position as you, I made the jump from ios to android in September. Having been on ios since the iphone 3g it seemed like a daunting jump.

It wasn't much of a jump though, I use chrome so all my bookmarks are synced, I've had my contacts backed up on google for years after a previous phone went missing. It was literally a case of signing in and playing with my new phone. I'm in same boat as you on the podcast side of things, I haven't downloaded another app for this yet, but the android music app has been fine for me and i just download the podcasts as i go along.

I'm rambling a bit here but here's what I say. Go for android, it's surprised me how much it's matured. It's on par with ios which is high testament.

*I got the samsung S3, it's a great phone. I wanted the nexus but didn't feel like waiting for it.

**pay attention to @hydrotherion1979 some of the advice he gave me on the root or not to root threat has been fantastic

• PlayerPro is the best music player, it doesn't confuse artist/album artist tags unlike nearly all the others.

Pocket Casts is my choice for podcasting too.

• I am a PocketCasts user. I think it has a lot of good options and a nice layout.

Player:

Library:

Lock screen:

For MP3, I go with Amazon since that is where I have more of a library in the cloud.

• I use a combo of Google Music and AntennaPod (Up until recently it was Podkicker), both free

There are several great twitter clients, and it all comes down to a matter of preference. I use Carbon for Twitter, since its free, but have been looking at switching to Falcon Pro, which is a paid app.

There are lots of great ways to customize android, and I recommend AndroidPolice as a place to look at newer apps as they come out.