Quantcast

Iphone: need to turn off email alert

Created by doe3879 on Oct. 31, 2012, midnight
  • I'm sorry to be asking this dumb ass question and I feel like an idiot for asking myself. I don't know what I sign up for recently and been getting email spam all day and the alert is driving me mad.

I've tried turning all mail related notification off. Set all the Mail related setting to "none" in Sound settings. Didn't solve it.

Please help, I have whatever the newest iso version is.

• Have you gone into the Mail settings in "Settings" and turned off push notifications? That should stop you getting alerts.

• @HKZ: I do not see push notifications settings within "Setting > Mail, contact, calenders" but I have turn off Mail within the "Notifications" setting

• It should be in "Settings>Mail, contact, calenders" directly underneath your email accounts like this:

http://goo.gl/7hqRL

• @HKZ: resolved it after half an hour of google.

Apparently I have to leave the Mail notification "On" while having the Sound set to "none"

• Oh okay, cool!

• Just FYI what HKZ is recommending would stop the phone from being told about new mail until you went into the App, versus the phone still checking ( updating the badge and downloading the message ) and just not "dinging" for you ( or popping up a notification etc... )

In the Notifications -> Mail Section ( or any for that matter ), each option there is independent of the other ( I'm 95% sure anyway ).

Notification Centre is when you drag your finger from the top

Alert Style is the pop-up notification while you are using the phone

Badge App Icon - self explanatory

New Mail Sound - sound it'll make ( set to none to silence )

View in Lock Screen - notification even when the phone is locked

The granularity and flexibility of the notifications is one of my favourite iOS features. Flexible, but rather simple.

I let my phone notify me about everything, so it's possible I have this wrong, but this is how I understand it to work. So if you wanted a ding, but no preview, or a preview but no ding or you want them to show in notification centre but no other notification of new mail, you can do all of those.

• Alternatively, have set the phone to check for mail 'manually'. If you don't want notifications at all, might as well save yourself a bit of battery.