I have recently moved back to Canada after a year in Australia. My plan was to go to WIND with my unlocked iPhone 4S, but since the 4S does not have proper frequency support, I can't. I really like the iPhone and I have a bunch of money tied up in the app store, but ultimately WIND will save me between $25-$30 per month compared to anyone else and they give me a better plan. I also have an iPad, so I can still use my apps somewhere.
I think the move to WIND is inevitable, but I want to get some feedback on phones. Currently the only phones they offer that seem appealing are the Galaxy Nexus and the Galaxy SIII. They also have the Nokia 710, but I imagine that's nearly worthless at this point.
My main questions are:
1. How bad is Touchwiz? Will and Gary seem to hate all skins, but are they really that bad? I really like the look of the Galaxy SIII and from reviews it sounds like a hell of a phone, but I don't want it if the skin makes it annoying and it will never get any updates.
2. Is it too late to buy the Galaxy Nexus? Even if there isn't a new Galaxy phone this year, it's still a year old at this point, and it seems like a bad idea to me to buy an old phone.
3. Should I just hold off until November and see if WIND gets the Lumia 920 or a new Nexus phone? I know there will always be something better around the corner, but it seems as though right before the holidays is always a storm of new releases and I'd hate to buy the Galaxy Nexus now, if I can wait just over a month and get something way better for the same price.
I know there is a somewhat similar thread, but it's four month old and a lot can change in the phone world in four months.
@Cameron: You also have the option of buying unlocked T-Mobile phones from the US for use on Wind's network, which is what I did. Unfortunately, I haven't been paying attention to the plethora of Galaxy devices out there, so I can't really give you advice on those.
Going with Wind is the right choice though. $29/month for unlimited local calling, text and data is an awesome deal (and no contract required!). They are discontinuing it after this month though, so you should take advantage of it. I signed up last year when they were offering the same promotion.
@CROM: I'm interested in the $40 plan as I have family and friends in Nova Scotia and I'd like to be able to call them without using Skype. Is it just the $30 plan they are getting rid of, or are they completely changing things up?
@Cameron: The $29 plan is a promotional thing that they only offer occasionally. Once you sign up, you can keep it as long as you want, but new customers cannot switch to it unless the promotion is currently running.
The $40 plan is more of a long-term offer, and it's what I recommend for you since you want to call Nova Scotia often. Otherwise, the $29 promotional plan is almost the same as the $40 plan, just minus the unlimited long-distance calling.
1. It's not great but it's not as horrible as it once was and if you do find it to be too sucktastic then changing launchers is pretty trivial.
2. The GNex is a great phone but it's definitely long in the tooth at this point. You should be able to pickup one from Craigs / Ebay pretty cheap at this point but it's going to have pretty poor resell value.
3. If you're committed to WIND then you might have a wait longer than if you were with Rogers/Telus/BELL (not long though) if you want to just wait for the next Nexus phone. If the Nexus trend continues Canada doesn't get the handset till mid-January through the big 3 and at least month after that for the AWS carriers.