Using Google Voice as the default SMS for Android

Created by EVHKwick on March 15, 2012, 7:13 p.m.
  • I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy S2 and use a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1. I use my tablet to text whenever I'm at home, and use Google Voice to do so, but I don't like not having a full record of my conversations on my Handcent. Is there any way to make Google Voice my default SMS for the entire phone? I know it's possible to do with contacts, but I looking to have it as the default for all SMS.

• @EVHKwick: Does this help?

• Unfortunately, no.

My issue is that I want Google Voice to be the default SMS program (e.g. notify when texts are received from all senders, default sending program, etc.). Right now, when I receive a text, that incoming text goes to Handcent and GV, but only Handcent notifies. Also, if I respond via Google Voice on something not on my phone (like my tablet), my outgoing message doesn't appear in Handcent. I just want to make GV my default texting program and not have Handcent at all so I'll be able to see my conversations in full on multiple devices.

• @EVHKwick: Aaaw, I see. I don't think that'll be possible unless Handcent updates with that support.

• Are you using your Google Voice number as your sole number? If so, you just need to turn off text forwarding to your phone's number in the Google Voice settings. Otherwise I'm not sure you can do what you're asking.

• @EVHKwick said:

I just want to make GV my default texting program and not have Handcent at all so I'll be able to see my conversations in full on multiple devices.

I'm a little confused. If you want to get rid of Handcent and exclusively use Google Voice, why not just do that?

On my Galaxy Nexus, GV is the only thing I use to send/receive SMS, and it notifies me normally. Then again, I also have my account set up where I don't get SMS messages forwarded to my actual phone number. That way I only get alerted by GV and potentially avoid getting notifications from the Messaging app as well (and hey, free SMS to boot).

• @alexnz said:

@EVHKwick said:

I just want to make GV my default texting program and not have Handcent at all so I'll be able to see my conversations in full on multiple devices.

I'm a little confused. If you want to get rid of Handcent and exclusively use Google Voice, why not just do that?

On my Galaxy Nexus, GV is the only thing I use to send/receive SMS, and it notifies me normally. Then again, I also have my account set up where I don't get SMS messages forwarded to my actual phone number. That way I only get alerted by GV and potentially avoid getting notifications from the Messaging app as well (and hey, free SMS to boot).

This.  I don't even have an SMS plan with my carrier :P.  I just use the Google Voice.  You can set it in the Google Voice settings to display the SMSes in the default messaging application afaik.
  • @WolfOfOne said:

You can set it in the Google Voice settings to display the SMSes in the default messaging application afaik.

That setting is misleading. I tried it for a bit since the default Messaging app looks prettier, but quickly realized that it just toggles the Google Voice setting to send SMS messages to my cell number.

Kinda wish that worked as advertised.

• @alexnz: Oh really?  That sucks :(  They really should change the wording on that menu/setting then!