Combating Viruses

Created by TheGremp on March 15, 2012, 6:31 p.m.
  • I've been having terrible experiences with PCs lately (inb4 buy a Mac).  My own PC was getting several pop-ups and fake spyware programs that I temporarily held off, but a couple weeks ago, it crashed its last crash.  It refuses to start up now, so my dad and I are gonna have to clear most of the hard drive and start fresh. 

I'm now on an old PC in the basement, and just had a heated battle with Antivirus Soft.  The antivirus software installed on this PC was terribly outdated, so I had to look through my Application Data and registry and delete the files myself...  I'm now downloading Spyware Doctor so that this doesn't happen again. 

So, what experiences have you had with nasty viruses?
  • I got some kind of mild pop-up infection that spread itself throughout my old XP box like a year ago, it annoyed the hell out of me but I fixed it up. Haven't had any issues at all since. Never really had issues before that incident either. Mighta been an unlucky torrent or something. Worst I've ever had to fix on something I owned, although I've seen some literal head->desk inducing bullshit crop up on family friends' stuff along with some school machines. I would type out the stories but I'm tired as hell and when you get down to it, they're boring as hell.

• I remember a long while back, I had quite a frustrating encounter with the Blaster Worm.  Within a few minutes of turning on my computer, a popup similar to the picture I've attached would appear, shutting down my machine after 60 seconds.  Needless to say, I was not amused.  Don't remember how exactly I got rid of the worm as it was many years ago, but I will never forget how annoying that damn thing was.     
  • Holy fishpaste, batman!  Get this - 5,159 infections.  I guess that's what 6 years of sitting in a basement, unprotected will do to a PC.
  • @TheGremp: 
    That's one sleazy computer.
  • @TheGremp said:
    " Holy fishpaste, batman!  Get this - 5,159 infections.  I guess that's what 6 years of sitting in a basement, unprotected will do to a PC. "
    WOW thats a lot of viruses, are you planning to clean your old computer.
  • @david: at the command prompt: 

shutdown /a 

and then the instructions in general were to visit the Symantic website and download the blaster removal patch. I personally take a proactive rather than reactive approach - I employ safe computer using habits and don't worry about viruses. Some of the nastiest infection I've seen though are  those fake antiviruses and the malware that replaces your searchlinks in webbrowsers.
  • @TheGremp said:
    " Holy fishpaste, batman!  Get this - 5,159 infections.  I guess that's what 6 years of sitting in a basement, unprotected will do to a PC. "
    Honestly, that thing might be able to bridge the gap between humanity and technology and give you aids.
  • @MAGZine:  
    Didn't know about the abort shutdown command back then, that would've been a life saver.  I think what I did was download the removal patch, then immediately run the patch after the restart to give me the maximum amount of time. 

I'll also have to echo the notion that it is better to take a proactive than reactive approach to preventing any sort of malware.  Better safe than sorry.
  • @dcpc10:  
    That sounds awfully time consuming and inconvenient.  Do you start from scratch, or do you keep an image of your system?
  • @dcpc10 said:
    " Whenever I face an annoying virus, I try alternate ways of getting rid of it, but it always comes down to formatting the HD and reinstalling the OS. ;( "
    Seriously? How often do you get viruses that are that debilitating? 
  • @dcpc10: Man that's ridiculous. Especially since even the good free AV software suites usually have game modes or the ability to suspend activities for periods of time if you want to. At least he has a mac now.

• Further proof you should always wash your hands, eat a balanced diet and wear a rubber before you enter the internet.