Quantcast

Question about new RAM

Created by VIGGO123 on March 15, 2012, 6:22 p.m.
  • Hey guys

I won a set of Corsair Dominator DHX DDR3 1600MHz 8GB (This one) in a local competition, but it turned out they didn't fit on my motherboard. The notches on the sticks doesn't line up with the notches on the MB.

I'm going to buy a new MB, but I want to make sure it fits in this one

The box the memory came in also says that it is designed for Intel-systems, but will I be able to use it with my AMD Phenom II X4?

• Yep, it should work fine.

The notches are there to stop people doing something that would not work (or destroy their equipment) due to not checking that things are designed to work together (see people with hammers and getting USB pen drives to 'fit' in RJ45 network ports for the limits to this principal). You probably have a motherboard that takes DDR2 RAM.

The linked mobo is DDR3 and so is the RAM and so should work great together. Lots of RAM is branded as designed for Intel but that just means it conforms to specs (Intel are less forgiving of RAM specified as out-of-spec high Voltage) but to be really sure you can open up the mobo page and look at the list of different RAM they have tested and confirmed works perfectly with that motherboard. The bad news is that exact memory module wasn't tested by Gigabyte, but the list of things they did test is actually rather short and there shouldn't be an issue.

• @Shivoa: Thanks, It turned out my motherboard does support DDR3, but only 1333 MHz.

The new motherboard looks good, so I'll order that when i get home.

• @VIGGO123: Did you have the RAM in back to front? If not then you were trying to put DDR3 RAM into DDR2 slots. The notches indicate which generation of DDR you have, not the maximum speed supported.

• @Shivoa: Yeah, I was looking at the wrong model. I must have gotten the wrong MB when I ordered the PC a few years ago. The order placement says it's a DDR3 board, but the box in my room says it's a DDR2 board. I haven't noticed that until now.

Thanks for the help duder ;)