Difference Between IPS and Retina Displays?

Created by ShaggyPolarBear on July 5, 2012, 11:13 a.m.
  • Hey Guys,

My apologies if this has been posted (did a search and couldn't find anything), I was hoping if someone can please explain to me the difference between IPS technology, and the new Retina display on the Macbook Apple has been touting. I assume within the next 12 months we'll see the retina display introduced into most devices, but what makes it better/worse/different to current models of IPS Displays?

Would I be smart to invest in a Dell UltraSharp U3011 30" now? or wait until Apple releases a Retina version of their Cinema display? (assuming that they do).

Thanks!

• Retina refers to colour and resolution, not panel type, for instance the iPad use an IPS display. Wouldn't wait for a retina cinema display, for one it'll cost like triple the Dell and two it's unlikely to even come out as Apple are neglecting their desktop line more and more in recent years.
  • To be even more precise, the "Retina" label refers to DPI, dots per inch. To put it simply, it means that it has a high resolution on a relatively small panel and thus achieves a high DPI, nothing else.

It was originally meant to signify that the retina does not have sufficient "resolution" to distinguish individual pixels from a certain distance.

• @test0r said:

To be even more precise, the "Retina" label refers to DPI, dots per inch. To put it simply, it means that it has a high resolution on a relatively small panel and thus achieves a high DPI, nothing else.

It was originally meant to signify that the retina does not have sufficient "resolution" to distinguish individual pixels from a certain distance.

Almost certain Apple started claiming Retina also means improved saturation with the latest iPad too.

• Retina displays are high-resolution IPS panels.

These panels are feasible for small displays, but cost for these high-densities panels increase DRAMATICALLY as size increases. Also, a tremendous amount of graphical computation would be required to drive a 30" display with that high resolution. A 20" panel at 264 dpi is around 4k x 2k in resolution. a 30" would be ridiculous. Not only this, but the desktop experience would be ruined, and the panel would cost WAY too much.

Don't hold out.