Trillian, the greatest IM program?

Created by Waytofind on March 15, 2012, 6:46 p.m.
  •  
    I'm not to sure if Trillian is well known or not but i figured that i might as well make a post about it. 

Trillian is an IM program just like the "Windows Live Messenger" but instead of supporting only one type of account Trillian allows the user to put in all his or her IM and Social Network accounts.

The IM services Trillian supports are:

Astra

AIM

Yahoo!

Windows Live (MSN)

MySpaceIM

Google Talk

Jabber/XMPP

Furthermore it also support some of the social network sites:

Facebook

Twitter

Bonjour

IRC

POP3 Mail

IMAP M  

So why am i talking about  this? Well Trillian has no ads and is free. The change from the add stuffed Windows Live Messenger was like a godsend. Then being able to download the skin that fitted perfectly with the rest of my desktop made it even sweeter. Winamp and Trillian make great friends on an aesthetic level.

With trillian you can sync up all you account at and Trillian will handle them all at the same time. So instead for example having to run two IM programs and perhaps some internet pages with say Facebook and Twitter on them you'll just have one slick looking program sitting in a corner. 

You can also install tons of plug-in to enable specific features of some of the IM Programs (MSN+ its enhanced emoticons for example) and enhancement. I have not messed around with that all that much myself however since for me IM ends at text chat and some file transfer every now and them. 

Which brings me to my biggest gripe with Trillian Astra, it has a download speed issue when receiving files from Windows Live Messenger which most of my friends use. This is only the case when receiving files from WLM though, with the other programs it works fine. 

Since I've been using Trillian Astra I did not have the need to look for something better so perhaps somewhere in the wide internets there is an IM program even better. 

You can download Trillian Astra from their site:  http://www.trillian.im/
  • Never heard of it until now.
  • Advertising?
  • I'm a Digsby man myself. Let's rumble.
  • I used to use Trillian but something felt weird about it. I may give it another shot, but Pidgin serves pretty much the same purposes with much less bloating and miscellaneous BS.
  • Sounds interesting but I don't really IM in the first place.
  • @natetodamax said:

" Advertising? "

Promoting i suppose, i don't work for them or anything I just really like it and figured i'd share. It is free afterall.

@lane:

ITS ON !!! 

Ehmmm.... 

Will give that program a look, perhaps it will fit my IM needs better then Trillian.

@timay said:

" I use pidgin .  I remember using Trillian a long time ago. Didn't it cost money at some point or some sort of pay model? "

They have some kind of premium package but i'm not sure what it has more. 
    edit:  https://www.trillian.im/buy/index.php/introduction nothing great when you look at it perhaps maybe the ability to acces trillian (and thus every IM service) via a webpage.
  • @timay said:
    " I use pidgin .  I remember using Trillian a long time ago. Didn't it cost money at some point or some sort of pay model? "
    Trillian always used to want you to upgrade to a paid Trillian Pro app.
  • I use Adium, but it encompasses a very wide range of services as well. It's like a Mac focused Trillian. 

Also supports a LOT of customization and skinning, so you can basically make it look absolutely anyway you want to.  I have plugins to send my current iTunes song to the person I am listening to, assorted UI mods, etc.  It's a great great app.
  • Hmm the name rings a bell, but I haven't tried it before, I've always used Windows Live Messenger. I'll give it a go though, looks like you can get some interesting skins for it.
  • @Jayge said:
    " I used to use Trillian but something felt weird about it. I may give it another shot, but Pidgin serves pretty much the same purposes with much less bloating and miscellaneous BS. "
    i feel weird agreeing with Jayge...
  • @Addfwyn said:
    "I have plugins to send my current iTunes song to the person I am listening to, assorted UI mods, etc.  It's a great great app. "
    I used to use such plugins back in the "MSN Messenger days" but i quickly got rid of it when i noticed that the winamp plugin i was using also showed the videos it was playing. Something you do not want you friends and family to see... Never used such a feature since.
  • I used to use Trillian a lot, and it was pretty useful.  I only ever use Skype now, so I really don't need it anymore.
  • @lane said:
    " I'm a Digsby man myself. Let's rumble. "

• @TheGremp said:
    " I used to use Trillian a lot, and it was pretty useful.  I only ever use Skype now, so I really don't need it anymore. "
    Join us on the ol' IRC ma bro.
  • Trillain doesn't work on Android, so I'm using Meebo:  

http://www.meebo.com/android
  • i have never heard of any of these. although i have been looking for one, this thread seems like a good place to find info.
  • I've never really felt the need to combine all my social networks in to one box. But I'm not really an extensive user of anything besides MSN. Twitter is a browser plugin for me, and I don't mind stopping by Facebook once in a while on my own.
  • @Th3_James said:
    " Well. I just use AIM and MSN, so i usually have both running at the same time. I had used trillian about 5 years ago, and didn't like it.  "
    I would suggest trying that again or trying Pidgin out or Digsby. I used to do the AIM/MSN seperate program thing and it annoyed the living hell out of me.
  • @Jayge said:

" @Th3_James said:

" Well. I just use AIM and MSN, so i usually have both running at the same time. I had used trillian about 5 years ago, and didn't like it.  "
    I would suggest trying that again or trying Pidgin out or Digsby. I used to do the AIM/MSN seperate program thing and it annoyed the living hell out of me. "
    This, unless you're looking for something really lightweight and minimalist, in which case give Miranda IM a try. Not that Pidgin is particularly heavy either.
  • @Hexogen said:
    " @Jayge said:

" @Th3_James said:

I would suggest trying that again or trying Pidgin out or Digsby. I used to do the AIM/MSN seperate program thing and it annoyed the living hell out of me. "
    This, unless you're looking for something really lightweight and minimalist, in which case give Miranda IM a try. Not that Pidgin is particularly heavy either. "
    The thing is, I don't care enough to use anything else. There are only a few people I talk to on AIM so, it is not an issue for me
  • @lane said:
    " I'm a Digsby man myself. Let's rumble. "
    Very good choice. This is what I use on my computer. And you can tell it to makes noises to certain things and have pop-ups for others. Or just get rid of them altogether.  

@Luke said:
    " Trillain doesn't work on Android, so I'm using Meebo:  

http://www.meebo.com/android "
    I use Meebo on my iPod Touch for when I'm at a house or store that has wi-fi.
  • @Jayge said:
    " @TheGremp said:
    " I used to use Trillian a lot, and it was pretty useful.  I only ever use Skype now, so I really don't need it anymore. "
    Join us on the ol' IRC ma bro. "
    new irc?
  • @NickL said:
    " who im's anymore? its all about video chat now... "
    I stopped iming along time ago i'm apart of so many sites that if someone wants to get a hold of me they can call me, email me, or just message me on the site.

• Might download it and see if it is the greatest IM program.