Do you Glue Lego?

Created by rugger on Sept. 15, 2017, 11:14 a.m.
  • Sorry guys I'm new here, but been listening to the podcasts for a long time...what's everyone's thoughts on glueing lego sets?

• I personally wouldn't, but I think if you wanted to it would be fine. You just have to be OK with the fact that you can't disassemble the kit ever again.

• No. Not ever. For what it's worth, I think that if you want to glue stuff use wood or plastic or metal or... well anything, anything but an inherently modular building material like Lego. Gluing completely defeats the purpose and power of Lego.

But that's just my personal opinion speaking. If gluing gets you building, then go right ahead!

• FWIW, if you go to LegoLand, they are all glued up (or the pieces would likely "walk"). So yeah, do what works for you, man!

• Glueing your lego beaks the essence of it.

• I think this is a deeply philosophical question. Gluing renders the object as a product. Of course, you could break it after gluing, but the act of gluing is in essence committing the Lego to a life as your interpretation of an object. In some sense, the "Lego" dies. The constituent "Lego" are no more, and in their place is a Millennium Falcon, or Ghostbusters Firehouse Headquarters. Perhaps the real question is: Is "Lego" an object in and of itself, or is Lego in essence, "object in potentia"?

• P.S. - I just read this post to my wife, who said I was drunk and called me a "Lego Millennium Philosopher". So... There you go...