LARP-safe Alchemical Devices

Created by FoaS on Aug. 16, 2017, 7:46 p.m.
  • Heya Folks,

Been looking to supplement my alchemy kit for LARP with some real-life inspired tools beyond the typical fair of potionbottles and the mortar & pestal. I've already got a Calcinator in the works, and I got to thinking about making a small-scale alembic-like device (edit: I think Retort would actually be a more accurate descriptor for what I have in mind) probably no more than 4 or 5 inches in diameter. I didn't want to risk things getting shattered so I'm opting not to use any glass implements, because LARP.

Has anyone had any luck in heat-shaping PET plastic bottles (soda bottles, for lack of a better example) and heat/melt-welding said plastic together? I know one can heat-shape PVC, but it would appear that PVC doesn't come in crystal-clear bottle form anywhere and I'm loath to shape an entire bottle out of a clear PVC pipe as I don't think I could ever get the shape right - likewise Transparent Worbla (I feel like thickness/strength might be an issue with Transparent Worbla as well) Barring PET and PVC plastics, does anyone have any recommendations of a glass-like (ie: crystal clear) thermoplastic that can be easily shaped into an alembic shape?

• Gave it a shot anyways

• I can't seem to post images directly, so here goes with a link: http://i.imgur.com/wAQfq7g.jpg