New here! Sculpey questions.

Created by EBUCK on Aug. 10, 2017, 4:06 p.m.
  • Hello all, I've run in to a problem after spray painting a super sculpey prop. My paint job is still tacky! I have used spray paint on super sculpey before (at least primer) and never had an issue with it curing properly. I am looking for someone who knows more about this than I do. Perhaps it is the type/s of paint I've used?

Firstly, the sculpey was cured/hardened correctly. No problems there.

I used Ace brand (I know, I know) premium paint+primer gloss enamel in "chrome aluminum" for the first coat. It boasts a quick drying time- handle in 25 minutes or less, dry in an hour. 3 or so hours later I come back to it and it is dry and perfectly handle-able.

Second coat I used Rust-oleum Painters Touch 2x Ultra Cover for plastic in gloss white. Supposed to be handle-able in an hour and dry in 24. Its been about 24 hours and the paint is still accepting finger prints and is quite sticky. Anyone else use this kind of paint and having similar issues? Should I wait, or where there some incompatibilities that I didn't realize?
    Is there anything that I can do?

• i wouldn't recommend using many of the off-the-shelf spray paints to actually PAINT your sculpey projects as most of them, especial the more "industrial use" ones have some pretty strong solvents in them which tends to either melt the polymer, or just not set well on the surface.

if you say you used primmer, it could be one or more reason why it's not curing correctly. Environmental? or something to do with your process of application ie.temp, amount of primer. when i first started getting into making my creature busts i tried to accomplish the painting aspect with spotty results using these common spray paints and i learned the hard way that the only way to accomplish reproducible and reliable results was to use paints formulated for this type of stuff.

Airbrush paints of various brands and manufactures are a really good place to start. If you don't have access to a decent airbrush kit they can still be used with great results using traditional tools such as paint brushes and sponges.

I know you are looking more for some advice as to how to get your current materials to work more reliably but that's just the thing. when working with these things that where not necessarily formulated to be used on materials such as polymor clays... these issues tend to pop up.

I'm sorry i could't provide you with a more relevant solution to the issues regarding YOUR materials. It's just that I've bin there, tried all that, and came to the conclusion it's just much easier, more reliable, and i'm much happier with my results having gone and invested in more "specialized" kit for my projects.

All the best of luck to you, and i hope your project gets sorted ;)

• @EBUCK:  yeah that sucks. My guess is that it might be the mixing of the two brands of spray paint. For whatever reason I have found that mixing brands causes problems. If it's still tacky I recommend either trying to remove a layer of paint with mineral spirits or sanding it off. It will goop up your sand paper, so you will use a lot, but you have to get the incited paint off. Basically, and I know it sucks, but your going to have to repaint it. When you start over I recommend using Keylon paints if you go the hardware store route. If you can find a automotive paint store, try some cans they have there. The best chrome I ever found was at wesco auto body supply. Good luck.