Show Us What You've Made!

Created by will on Dec. 18, 2012, 9:49 a.m.
  • This was one of my first project, a three axis laser spiro graph using a UV laser and PWM speed controllers. The idea was going to be control if using a Raspberry pi, and i did write a lot of the code. But in the end decided it was not something i really had the time to do (meant learning a lot of web coding). But as you can see from the video it works ok in manual mode. And of course it has a big red switch to turn the laser on and off :)

• Just finished this steampunk style alarm clock. It started with an alarm clock kit from CanaKit and some gears from an old broken clock movement. It took some time to get everything functional but after a lot of trial and error it's finally working well! See here for build pictures and videos https://www.flickr.com/photos/135749307@N04/albums/72157678195239693/page1/

• I'm currently building a K-2SO droid puppet. Was honored to have Norm interview me at the recent RPF party in North Hollywood. I'll be posting as I finish him over the next two months on the RPF. http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=263259 I love joining communities of makers. This forum list has some incredible pieces.

-Darren

• @Hydra: My wife wants you to know with a smile and a laugh that that's just wrong sir. LOL

• Here's my version of a first-order-retrievability toolbox, based on a Draper 48566, with foamcore inserts:

* Oh great, the spam filter keeps me from posting things again. Let's try with smaller versions of the images?*

• This story is for anyone who has purchased or plans to purchase a Ring video doorbell. As most on here know a standard doorbell uses a diode. With the Ring they supply you with their diode that you have to use. Their diode alows a small amount of power to slip passed so as to charge the batteries in the video unit. The problem is that many of the ringers on the market (mine included) are so efficent that the ringer can be triggered by even that small amount of power. So when I wired it up the ringer went off on a constant loop all the time even without the doorbell being pushed.

Thankfully Rings customer services was excellent. I did everything they told me to do to no avail. So they ended up sending me a bipass cable and a plug in wireless ringer for free.

That meant that the old ringer was no longer needed. I could have left the old cover up there (my wife's preferred option, but where's the fun in that) but it was a cheap Stark white plastic thing and I'm a woodworker. So I built a new cover. Not my best work but I learned a good bit. I'll post the photos next.

• This is the back panel and center section glued together. The front piece screws on to the middle with machine screws in to brass wood insert nuts. I'll never buy them made out of brass again there just junk and all but one broke during install. McMaster has them out of stainless but not in 6-32nd machine thread. Only the brass goes that small.

The back and front panel are MDF cored cherry veneer. I chose the material and my wife chose the stain colors so cringe at her please not me for not showcasing the cherry. I had them laser cut by this company which I love www.ponoko.com for a reasonable price and wait time. I've used them for so many projects.

• The metal sheeting I bought from Home Depot and cut with tin snips. I had the pattern centered on the slits and then I tightened down the quick grips to glue it in place and it shifted without me knowing it till it was too late.

• The

• @Capsaxian: Very nice blaster. Is that your own design or is that from something?