Quantcast

Show Us What You've Made!

Created by will on Dec. 18, 2012, 9:49 a.m.
  • Sticky
  • @kitchb32: Thanks for the post! I did not expect the results to look so damn good! My wife has been suggesting it for along time, but I had my doubts on how the result would look. I am now completely rethinking it!

  • @projectfinale: I highly recommend pouring them upside down unless you are putting them in a new construction. My brother in law and I formed them in place in his kitchen. The results were ok, what made them just ok is the fact that the smoothness of the counter somewhat depended on your concrete floating skills. Also, how much wet polishing your willing to do inside your house.

  • My design of Leonardo DaVinci's tank built in SolidWorks

  • I made a small workbench/cutting station

  • Every year for Halloween my niece comes up with these crazy ideas of what she wants to be, then it is my job to figure out how to make it work, no matter how crazy or impossible the idea seems. One year it was a toilet, this past year it was a gumball machine, this is what I came up with.

    A quick rundown of how this was built from top to bottom. The very top red cap was simply the lid for a bowl, painted red. To make sure that it stayed in place and kept its rigidity there is a very small dowel rod in the center, which also sticks through the top to look like the bolt cover the machines had to remove the fill cap (you can just barely see it because of the angle in this picture). Below that for the bowl, it was two large salad bowls. In the lip of each salad bowl we put 3 neodymium magnets to hold the bowls together. This allowed her to take the top bowl off and put it back on easily and quickly in case she got to hot, the bowls started to fog, or if she really needed to talk for a long time, as talking through a plastic bowl muffled her voice. There were also 5 1" holes drilled in the back of the top bowl for ventilation. The bottom bowl has craft puff balls hot glued in place as the gumballs.

    Below the bowls is a flower pot which I cut the bottom out and put some arm holes into then painted it red. On the inside of the flower pot there were a few strips of velcro that would catch strip of velcro attacked to the bottom of the bottom bowl to keep it in place. On the front of the bowl there is the operation side of a deadbolt door lock to mimic the look of the coin turner, it is surrounded by some craft foam. An o-ring was added to the deadbolt to make it stiffer so it wasn't just flopping around, you could still turn it though. At the back of the flowerpot there was a battery pack that was attached with velcro that held 8 AA batteries that provided the 12V for the lights. At the bottom of the flower pot there were just some basic push snaps.

    The other sides of the snaps were attached to a piece of clear vinyl for the mid section. The snaps where then covered up with gold lace to hide them. 3 pieces of LED strip lighting were then attached to the vinyl, wired up, and at the top a computer 3-pin fan connecter was used as a quick disconnect between the batter back and the middle light section. Some gold lace was also sewn over the lights to hide them a little better too. At the bottom of the vinyl more push snaps were put all the way around and covered with lace to hide them.

    Below that another flower pot, upside down this time, was used. The bottom was cut out for her legs to go through, and the other half of the push snaps were also at the visual top of the flower pot to attach to the vinyl. A small hinge was used with some craft foam glued to i to create the flapper. Some gold rope and lace were added in some other areas for visual effect.

    Also you can see on her wrist she has a little remote. I found a cheap little RF receiver on amazon that could be hooked up to the lights. From that remote she could turn the lights on and off, dim them or make them brighter, make them flash, strobe, fade, or just stay on solid, along with changing the frequency/speed of the flashing and fading.

    It is by far one of my favorite costumes I have built for her.

  • Great costume.

  • A year or so back the box for my primary guitar amp started to fall apart. It's an old MusicMan 100RD, and after lots of moving around the box needed to be replaced. My grandfather was a cabinet maker, my father a hobbyist woodworker and it's something I was always drawn to. My grandfather passed away a few years back and I thought what better way to remember him than to build something myself using the skills he and my father taught me. The whole box is solid Oak, and I was really happy with the way it turned out. Simple construction; Biscuit joints, built to the same specifications as the old box, just....better. The old one was covered in black tolex, as most amps are, but I've taken on my fathers rule #1...don't cover up good wood. Hope you guys like it!


  • @ScienceBanana: Really nice!