Quantcast

Show Us What You've Made!

Created by will on Dec. 18, 2012, 9:49 a.m.
  • I know our community is super-talented, and I want you guys to show off your work! Now that we can post pictures in the forums again, post your best pics of your favorite stuff that you've made. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to see your work!

• Made as in with your hands right ? All the stuff I've made is digital .

• Hi, I'm new here, but what better way to join in than show off my hobby. I make chainmail, mostly jewellery but some bigger pieces too.

• @will Tomorrow I will post some pictures of the Bean Bag Boxes I made. They are pretty killer and they fold into eachother, also this is a great thread and I'm excited to see what else people make!!

• Some of my early tests with making Warhammer 40k props

By the way, since the pictures are essentially thumbnailed anyways, a resize option would be nice.

• @darkdragonsoul99: Digital stuff counts. I'm posting some digital stuff I made tomorrow morning.

• And "digital stuff" includes stuff you've programmed. While I don't really have any projects I've completed, I have a couple of things I'd be okay sharing.

I haven't found a Windows based podcast app I liked so I decided to make one myself. I programmed this using Python and a GUI toolkit called wxPython. It's very incomplete, you can see here that it's nothing more than a basic media player. The Skip Forward and Skip Backward buttons don't even do anything!

Here is a screenshot of code I've actually written, derived from some example code. I did this an exercise so I could learn how to use a specific feature of wxPython, called a DataViewCtrl.

• My books! Made 'em all by myself. :)

http://www.robertbrumm.com/my-books.html

• Much like MrFoo I make Chainmail but not for jewelry I make more armour styled pieces for myself.

I dabble in some photography as the tested crew got me to buy a NEX-F3 this summer.

I also run a Youtube page and a twitch.tv channel that I post tech videos and or play video games on.

I kinda want to try my hand at casting SC2 or some other game but I am not great at using reddit/forums to get in touch with people like that. I even have my own bad tie and dress shirt!

Sometime soon I'd like to figure out how Joey/Vinny got their jobs join them in the industry as a bunch of the stuff I do for fun is that kind of work.

• Hi All

Just joined after watching a ton of Adam's videos! My name is Tyler and I am a VFX artist and toy prototyper. This is something I sculpted digitally in Maya and Mudbox, and output to an Objet EDEN 3D printer. Its large - About 16 inches - and is being released in 2013 by Factory Entertainment under their Universal Monsters prop replica collection (If you arent a monster fan, its a replica of the Creature From The Black Lagoon fossil hand) ! These pics are of the first prototype to come back from the production factory. I hope you enjoy!

• fixed!

• @ham fx: That looks incredible. How many hours did it take?

• A few things I've made.

Antler Beer tap handle
    antler beer tap handle
    plywood cup
    redwood burl box
    Moose antler ring with desert Ironwood inlay
    Moose antler lined with ponderosa pine
    Redwood Burl Lined with moose antler
    Moose antler lined with cocobolo

The rings are my specialty.

• @cdpeterson: Does body heat, natural oils, and/or other moisture affect the construction at all?

• The rings are finished with cyanoacrylate (aka superglue) which leaves them water resistant and protects them quite well. Harsh chemicals (including hand sanitizers) will affect the finish over time. I recommend they be taken off when washing hands, showering, etc. Body heat is no problem. The biggest limitation is the strength of the materials. They hold up well to being worn daily, but a sharp blow, or crushing can cause damage.

• cdpeterson, Those are great! Very nice work.
  • Thanks!

• Pretty much most of the things I've made are digital. Since graduating from university, I've set up a Film TV criticism and production company based in Glasgow, Scotland with a few of the guys and gals I graduated with. You can find out writing, features and video stuff over at http://www.telstar.me/

Over the course of the past week or so, I've been editing a film that was shot in Kenya by a newspaper journalist over the summer during 'Olympic-fever'. The kids at the Tumaini Mission Centre in Nakuru made this short film which I've edited up in time for a Christmas screening for them. Pretty happy with how it has turned out, but I'm always looking for any kind of feedback or ways to improve the piece! Feel free to check it out below.

• here's my recycled cardboard Gameboy i did a few years ago... some of you may like it. It's 6' tall and i made it entirely from scratch with nothing but cardboard, house paint, and some plastic packaging :D

• Man, you guys are skilled as hell. I haven't really made anything I can show off... instead, I've got some music you can listen to :)

And in case anyone missed the soundcloud link I posted some time ago, here's the link to the This Is Only a Test dubstep intro I made

• Sorry for the super slow reply! Im blaming the holidays!

The fossil Creature hand took a solid full-time week - Give or take since I was learning Mudbox at the same time as I was doing the sculpt itself!

• Here is a link to my web site to see what all I have made.

ddbcustommodels.com

• @cdpeterson Those rings are amazing! Really great stuff there, I'm impressed

I've started making my own furniture and while everything so far is VERY simple/basic, I'm pleased with the results and it's all functional stuff. Pictured is the dining table (not the chairs), computer desk, coffee table, and entertainment center. I built them all with cheap lumber from Home Depot, metal legs are from IKEA, and everything is simply stained/poly'ed. P.S. Don't mind the television - my wife is watching something awful.

(I also make some music, only stuff online right now is at soundcloud.com/petebarta)

• I was working through a tutorial on breaking up text. Thought I would use the Tested logo for fun.

• @jbarkan said:

I was working through a tutorial on breaking up text. Thought I would use the Tested logo for fun.

That's cool. But how weird is it that you've made the speech bubble go inwards. I've always seen it as going outwards

• Thanks @Barta. Nice furniture!

• @Vetterli: I thought it was more fun to defy expectation, but yeah, it's clearly meant to be a box. I might make some Will and Norm box figures and blow them up. Later.

• @jbarkan:Looking forward to seeing them :)

• Here is something else I made that I just got word I can show - Along the lines of the Creature claw above - Its a WOLFMAN (1941) cane topper! Sculpted this out of Super Sculpey mixed with Sculpy Firm, actually!! This is the metal plated prototype from the factory!

• I present to you, my drawer-shelf DVD storage system! TaDaaaa~~!

I had a huge DVD collection back in the early 2000's so my friend and I put this DVD shelf together. I wanted one unit to hold a ton of DVD's so we built what looks like a regular set of drawers. Difference being when you pull out a drawer, it folds down when it's half way out creating two shelves, each with a row of DVDs.The handle is on the underside of the drawer so that you can hold the weight up as you lower the outer shelf down onto it's padded peg legs. This hidden style of handle also prevents little kids from yanking the thing open -_-;;

We used pegs as stoppers and grooved the sides of the section that folds down. We used two hinges on each of the drawers. With 4 fold down drawers, it essentially creates 8 shelves which in total can hold a total of roughly 350 DVDs. I eventually filled it out, but then got to a point where I stopped collecting DVDs (or blurays for that matter) so I've since moved it into my my mom's garage where it is currently sitting in storage -_-;; Also, the thing is made of some heavy, dense wood so when I moved up to WA from CA, I did not want to have it shipped. Still, one day, I'm figuring I may use it again to store books or something in the future someday.

Oh, and the bottom most drawer, being on the bottom, could not fold down, so it's just a plain old drawer.

All in all, I think the thing took roughly 3 months to build from start to finish and about $500+ in wood materials.