skydiving conundrum...

Created by zigorama on Jan. 11, 2018, 8:17 p.m.
  • This isn't a wholly thought out idea, but on a whim, I thought I'd post this here since it's my new years resolution to participate on the Tested forums more often. Here we go...

I've heard that skydiving is pretty safe. I've also heard that smaller planes have a worse safety record than the big ones, and I'm already kind of afraid of flying. But I've been thinking about doing my first skydive this year (yes, I see the conflict here), and so this has been rolling around in my mind. Flying in small commuter type planes has always been kind of a nerve-wracking experience for me, but for some reason I don't feel the same kind of anxiety when I think about skydiving. What the heck is this about? Shouldn't skydiving be WAY more anxiety-inducing than just flying in a small plane? This led me to thinking about the relative safety between skydiving and other forms of transport. I have no data yet, but my completely non-data-driven assumption is that the hierarchy goes something like this: trains>Planes>small planes>cars>motorcycles>jet packs.

tl:dr: I want to skydive, but I am afraid of heights. Talk me into going skydiving :)

• Just a super quick thought: is it possible your lower fear of skydiving is due to the fact that you'll have a parachute on? Like even if the engine burst into flames you presumably could just leave? I would think the fear of flying via parachute alone would be bigger than just a plane anyway though...