Problem with tested and now thinking of cancelling

Created by Jedibri on Dec. 18, 2017, 6:06 p.m.
  • Just seen Norm and Adams request for feedback, and have to say I was disappointed by the questionnaire. Tested was once a great place to watch and be informed. Bur lately it has suffered from a lack of content. And the content that we have been given is more like a back slapping advert for mates.

Tested used to be informative now it's just like a clicky group of school kids, who won't ket anyone into their group. Gone are the day of the talking room and interesting making spots, replaced by Benin dross, that has all the intellectual content of a cuppa soup.

What has happened to tested it just can't be Will leaving and try as Norm does he was never a host at best a ed to wills Johnny . Tested has lost its way, the forums should be filled with conversation it should be equal to Reddit or the Rpf as tested has a lot going for it.

But for some reason it's missing the mark and going in a direction that caters to a few not the many like the old tested did. You asked for opinions well this is just mine, there are now new channels weekly and if you want to compete content is king. Content the makes you think make laugh admire and crave.

So get back to creating making showing expanding brains maybe then I'll start watching again
  • I agree Tested could have more content and more interactions on the forums. I find that a lot of the content is very similar in nature and could expand out. I love the maker space videos but would like to see more videos dedicated to specific skills or practices. I think this site could become an even better resource to the maker community and the education community as more maker driven practices are being adopted by schools.

• I joined Premium expecting to find a great community, loads of extra videos and articles of things being tested (you know, because you're Tested.com) lots of behind the scenes stuff, special Q and A's or something. What I found was a 7" Single, a very broken forum (from a tech site!!??), a complete lack of community and 500 videos of people building lego. I'm glad to have supported tested this once as my small way of saying thank you for all the previous stuff you have given out for free which I have really enjoyed, but I won't be renewing, there is literally no point. Since you pretty much don't test things anymore maybe re-brand to "3D Printing, VR, Cosplay and building lego.com"? Sorry if that's sounds harsh, but that's pretty much what you are now.

Whatever direction you decide to take Tested, you really need to replace Will with someone to breath some life back into your shows. I know he's still a guest often but he left a hell of a big hole when he left you've never managed to fill. Not only was he often the most knowledgeable guy on a show but he was funny (and you're shows are so terribly dry now).

• @StoneCrow:  I have to Agree ith the last two posters, and when you see the amount of ads for muscke boosters etc, in the forum today tgere aren't any moderators to block users and get rid of the spam .....
    Stone Crow is correct as Tested isn't about anything more than 3D printing and virtual reality and Lego .Norm sadly doesn't have the character of Will and as Stone Crow said you can now see what the loss of Will to tested has become.
    So how do you fix it, that's like saying how do you build a Tardis. The whole tested website and videos need massive amounts of work . The lack of content has now become something of a issue with fans who subscribe . If I want to watch someone build Lego I'll go and baby sit my nephews conversation would be more intelligent as well.
    Now let's get to the premium members gift....Its ok if you want to bath on the sound of Mr Savage but it's not exactly Eddie Van Halen....And what if like me you don't own a record player or a turntable , that 7inch plastic disk is about as useful as an outside toilet is to a astronaut.
    The main shows still untitled well tgats just line a huge name dropping erxersicesweet of I just had dinner with r my best mate is, even when they sit and discuss things it's only when will is there to steer the conversation is it any good.
    There are so many people out there making and tinkering, from tiny raspberry pi to motorbikes even a guitar line the is what we want to see, and talking room back with interesting guests. one Matt Bellamy of muse uses with a xy pad. Tested was once the cream of YouTube now it's the sour milk but whether it can be put back together is doubtful as the shows are based on what I resets the hosts or their team and has now lost its direction and frankly time. Tgere are better content makers on YouTube these days. It's heartbreaking as tested the only thing I ever subscribed to and seeing how far it's lost it's way is frankly annoying.
    So new year new channels to find think my tested era has ended sad very sad to say tgat

• Went to edit the typos and the edit didn't work apologies folks sums it all up for me broken
  • I think to some extent there isn't a push for the to fix the forums because seemingly no one uses them. It's a catch 22. They could spend the time and budget to fix the forums in the hope that a community builds from it, or they could spend that making more videos etc. If I was them, sure I would figure out a way to keep the spam off this more efficiently, but I wouldn't move to fix much when there are a couple of posts a week at this point. It just doesn't make sense. If you want better forums, use the forums more. I think we need to grow the community to the point that it is a community they should care about.

In terms of content I'm sure losing Frank put a bit of a wrench into some plans they had as well.

• Seriously why doesn't anyone use the forums better, there is such a great opportunity to make this forum a place for design and makers newbies seeking help. Yet nothing, I did notice that the spam adds where gone, but this site should be much better used.

The lack of interest , is sadly down to us for not being more proactive as subscribers and getting the spam gone. And using the forum the way it was meant to be used if tested really got this site to be all it could well it would be a great place for makers
  • Well I have made the descion and it's been hard but I'm not renewing my subscription I have wavered about it, but frankly since new year it's been made easier. The lack of content, basically two podcasts of name dropping and patting each other on the back is not what I subscribed to. Even when we get the odd tested film about Aardman or about one day builds they tend to be rarer these days. The show really doesn't hold up well without Will he was the one who gets everyone chatting throwing in questions, norm as nice a host as he is just hasn't got the charisma Will had.
    There is little in builds unless it's Lego and why no 3D printer maker videos you could have a video each day whether it's tool talk, or 3D printing to a drawing 101 design class to basic how to use the tools. And the creative possibilities are endless.
    But the shows the aren't up to it anymore if your going to do a bit on Aardman why not show kids how to make armatures and do claymation and stop animation, so they could send in their own videos and could put them on here, inspire others should be the motto ....Yet the show is just really a well this is my mate and I'm here at this place doing something interesting for me.
    I'm sorry Adam and Norm but it's now lost all its credit and there are new makers out there doing more to inspire and build, your no longer the one kid on the block...
    So thank you for all the hard work you did before but the shows and the self gratification back slapping and name dropping is to much ..
  • I don't expect my opinion to count for much but I have a love-hate relationship with Tested these days. It's the only podcast I regularly listen to and often have it on in the background in the shop or in the car. I am currently going through the backlog of TIOAT podcasts from the beginning (currently at CES 2013!) The difference between then and now is startling. They were much more entertaining back then, so much so that it does't really matter that the tech is 5 years old.

I lament the loss of Will (and further back the force of nature that is Gary Whitta). They were so opinionated, sometimes obnoxious, so full of shit - it was great! I love the addition of Kishore and the science he brings and Jeremy is a proper maker, I wish he would take a deeper dive into some of the things he has been working on. The podcasts need a much larger "what have you guys been testing" section. I find myself coming to the site less and less these days. I agree that it is a catch 22, you need participation from the community to make a great forum, but people don't use it because it's got problems. I love that Kishore makes comments and interacts so much! Maybe more of this from the other people would help build it up at least at the start.

Sometimes I think Tested forgets it's audience. Like many people, I don't have thousands of dollars to spend on the latest Makerbot, Glowforge, IphoneX, VR, etc. Many of the tools I use I built from scratch, myself, because I'm a maker (whatever that actually means!) Yes, it does sometimes feel like there are product placement ads for "friends of the show" (direct quote).

Maybe my interests have diverged with what Adam/Norm wants to cover (which is cool) but I guess you can either entertain and/or inform. I would hate for the podcasts to drift into doing neither.

• With you on most of the sentiments expressed so far, especially from "madcatandco". I probably won't renew my membership. The site seems to have become reliant on Adam's star power to get views, and has forgotten how to serve its audience in other areas. The serious lack of professionalism in podcasts has almost completely lost me, for example - don't come to a tech podcast without knowing what's going on in tech, don't talk for endless minutes about the weather in San Francisco (I live in an area with actual winter :)), don't spoil movies and tv in the middle of a podcast.... on and on. To me, to quote catandcato, the podcasts have already become neither informative or entertaining. A good contrast is Rooster Teeth, (of Red vs. Blue fame), who is definitely more on the entertainment side of things, but who actually does many of the things the fans of Tested have been wanting for years, like proper community features on the site, a premium feature that's actually worth it, cool merchandise, and so on. I mean, Tested hasn't updated their merch in so long that Will's still on the shirts after what, 3 years of being gone?! Merchandising is a great way to make money for a website/youtube channel, and the opportunity is being completely missed in favor of fleecing the audience with loot boxes and tech junk (the tested "shop gear" store).

As far as becoming cliquish, I have to agree. I can't afford a VR headset, so I don't care about the incredibly in depth VR coverage. I don't have a record player, so this record they sent me is useless (and no, I'm not going to buy one, because a decent one would be both expensive and a large "thing" I would have to have in my life). I get that some of the new coverage aligns with Norm's interests, and that's ok... but they have to remember the whole world isn't San Francisco, most people don't make San Francisco salaries, and most of us can't spend $2000 on a 3d printer or laser cutter or drone. If I spend $2000 on something, it'd better make that $2000 investment back.

• I joined tested.com about 4 years ago. For the first year I was a premium member. I think I got auto-rebilled in 2015, was annoyed at the auto-re-bill, Cancelled the automatic re-billing. Didn't really follow the site in 2016. Had a heart attack in 2017 and was at home recovering for a while and spent some time watching build videos with Adam and Norm. Watched some airbrushing videos with Norm and a couple of other guys.

Bumped into Norm purely by accident at Crunchy Roll Expo in May 2017 and got to see a few of Adams projects up close. Norm and the people with him were super cool about being in a booth and talking to people.

So I looked in on tested a little more often (as a member, but not a premium member).

Last weekend I discovered Simone Giertz on youtube. That was a fun way to procrastinate my Robot Class homework (edx.org ColumbiaX - CSMM.103x). Then I saw where Simone had joined tested.com.

So I just re-subscribed to Tested.com as a premium member, bought a "tested" T-shirt and sponsored Simone on Patreon.

As much as companies have ups and downs. Tested.com is no different. I have really enjoyed some of the Tested content. Some of the content isn't really my thing. I really enjoy actual engineering content (see the edx.org class above) with actual math. I don't find any of that at Tested. Likewise, I enjoy the DIY maker, the weekend hobbyist, the amateur scientist. I do get a fair bit of that from Tested.

Tested continues to evolve. And while it isn't a perfect fit for all of my interests, it has been a stalwart contributor to the DIY community. So I'm hanging in there and supporting them.

I hope to see them at Maker Faire (Bay Area). I hope to see them at Crunchy Roll Expo. I hope to see them at SacAnime.

• @engineerbob: But yes... I wish they would fix and actively moderate this forum. :)