How do you handle backups?

Created by Buckys_Brawler on Aug. 25, 2017, 5:33 p.m.
  • I've been tempting fate with a poor backup procedure for too long. I don't know why but I am struggling trying to get my head around the best procedure to protect my data. I don't think I have an overly complicated footprint so I am interested in your feedback.

1 Gaming PC: Minimal personal files, steam library, iPhone backups

2 iPhones: Pictures

I think my best option is to go with the QNAP TS-251 but I'm open to suggestions. Would I pick specific Steam saves to backup and the the root folder of my personal documents? What about the iPhones, do I have to physically plug these into my computer, backup through iTunes, than make sure the backup location is synchronized to my QNAP?

What about managing my pictures separate from my iPhone backups? Do you guys export them to a separate folder or manage them in another program? In the future, I see myself getting a DSLR and I want to manage all my content in one place.

Help! Thanks for any suggestions!

• A home NAS system would be complete overkill for your needs.

As far as I know most games on Steam these days support cloud saves, so you're good there. I would just have your iPhone automatically save to iCloud. Done. As for personal files I would just use OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive, etc. in conjunction with an extra local HDD that's purely for backup.

• Thanks for the response! At what point would you say the home NAS becomes an option? Trying to identify my sweet spot for future proofing.

• A home NAS isn't a bad idea. I currently run a 2 bay (similar to the QNAP TS-251) to store weekly backups of my 2 desktop and 1 laptop computers.

I do think it would be a huge waste for storing Steam games though. With a high speed internet connection downloading and re-installing Steam games is a breeze, and just as Falcon pointed out, most (if not all) Steam games support cloud saves so you wouldn't lose anything there.

Backing up your iPhones to iCloud as well as syncing them with your PC is always a good idea. Then including those folders in the list of personal files for your OS to include in the backup would be a good thing too. Redundancy is king when it comes to things that you don't want to lose.

Google Drive and Dropbox are really well done and easy to setup to sync specific folders. Though space is limited (if you don't want to pay for it) you probably won't run out of space with your current list of needs.

Bottom line: Save your money. Set up Google Drive, Dropbox, and iCloud. Then if you start to need more space, I would start to consider a NAS.