Past, Present & Future Visionary

Created by darrenmarkneil on Jan. 12, 2017, 5:07 a.m.
  • Past, Present & Future Visionary

In October 2016, "The Word" opened in South Shields, a seaside town on the North East coast of the UK. The venue, part of a multi-million pound regeneration project in the area is designed to be a state-of-the-art cultural venue with a rolling programme of events, exhibitions and workshops. The first exhibit is something special that we can all relate to in the "TESTED" community. This is how the Word's website described their intention:

"The Word's opening exhibition called for something extra special; a popular subject with broad appeal and a real link to the area. Who better than a local superstar, who was born in South Shields and attended art college in the region, before making his name as one of the most successful and famous film directors in the world."

Obviously we are talking about Ridley Scott in case you hadn't guessed. Showcasing six of his most well-known movies, Alien, Blade Runner, Gladiator, Robin Hood, Thelma and Louise and The Martian, the exhibit is free of charge. Each of the sections have information boards with detailed information about the films concept, design and production.

I recently visited the venue and had a good chance to look at the exhibit. Surprisingly, I was the only person in the exhibit rooms. The building itself wasn't empty, just the exhibit. I'm not complaining but it struck me as quite sad. The exhibition itself was well spaced out and didn't have a regimented path through the displays. In the entrance, a large black and white portrait of Ridley Scott greets you as you enter.

(cont)

• Blade Runner

My focus was then attracted to the Blade Runner section of the show. All of the displays in the different movie sections were well presented but the Blade Runner one seemed to have more style, with neon style lighting and backlit graphics.

A Tomenosuke replica blaster is on display as well as a 'voight-kampff' machine.

(cont)

• Alien

The Alien section has a display case with a copy of the 1978 script, signed by Ridley Scott, Sigourney Weaver and Tom Skerritt. A replica Ripley jumpsuit and a full size Xenomorph are also on show.

• The Martian

The Martian section has a replica of Watney's helmet and an interactive display with details about the film production and "The life cycle of the potato".

• Robin Hood, Gladiator and Thelma & Louise

Robin Hood and Gladiator are situated in a single section with film information for both and replica costumes on display from both movies. The Thelma and Louise section is limited to an information board, again with details about the film and it's production.

• Looks like a pretty amazing (If a bit small) showcase.

The Gladiator armor is soooo detailed.

• More photos of the Martian Helmet....

(cont)

(cont)

Credit to the maker of this replica.

• Closer look at the Tomenosuke replica blaster.

• Last update on this.... honestly.

Unexpectactly found myself in the Royal Armouries in Leeds today. Was surprised to find an Pulse Rifle from Aliens amongst the (mostly) historical artifacts.

Only had my mobile phone camera unfortunately. More to follow, lots of armour, on a new thread.... if anyone's interested!