Request for Feedback: Spam, possible solutions, and a bit about you

Created by will on Jan. 15, 2015, 12:02 p.m.
  • @JamesGoblin: The forums haven't seen much activity in years. I think they used to be relatively busy back when Tested was part of Whiskey Media, but have been fairly slow since the site relaunched in 2012.

• @kim_a Yep I noticed. I might (or might not) help by posting here and there from time to time, can't do much more than that.

• I personally would love to use these forums more, but there is so much spam...and this article was created over a year ago...and it is still terrible .

• Soooo... Any news on the spam situation? I've been using forums in one form or another for 15 years and never seen anything this bad. It seems a real shame that the tested forum isn't used more. spam must be a big contributor to that.
  • I dont know if lithium technologies maybe a option for this site, We use them on our site.

• Wow, I had no idea how bad the spam situation still was. I've been coming to the site for a long time, and finally felt comfortable enough with my abilities to jump in and start participating, and it's incredibly disappointing to see that the participating community is a ghost town. Where does the Maker community hang out? i guess the RPF?

• does this forum just not have any mods? or prevention against robots making accounts? can you maybe ask admins in other forums how they combat spam? it really shouldn't be this bad.

• @everfalling: The dedicated mods quit because the forum-software lacked proper tools for them to do their job. Most forums have well made tools for combating spam, this one does not, and being a custom built solution with no support they can't just install a new, better version. Moderation is now done by the Tested-staff whenever they find the time.

• @kim_a: i gotta wonder why they don't just ditch whatever this is and use something more tried and true? Sure you'll lose the old posts but you'll gain so much more in functionality.

• @everfalling: Whalerock which owns the site doesn't even have the tech resources to land Tested for adding a volume-button to the Premium video-player. I fear the resources for replacing the comment infrastructure will never come as long as they own the site.

• I don't think limiting to paying members will solve anything, but I like the post limit idea and get people to really post first. Why does tested keep trying to have a forum if it is unusable due to spam?

• Or how about giving the 'flag post'/'flag topic' more teeth? so if more than, say, 5 paying members flag something it gets taken down automatically?

• Oh well... I come here about once a year and it's always the same old thing...

Why don't they just start fresh with something like SMF.

They use it at many forums I'm into and it just works. No spam.

• How about some anti-spam.

It's free for fk sake.

• so, my semi-rhetorical question is this.

What is so damn appealing about this forum that actually live people are putting out so much effort into spamming it?

From all indicators by the staff here live humans are creating accounts, vetting through the spambot checks and spamming the forum daily.

WHY? I would understand a bot or script doing it, but that is a shit ton of effort.....for no reason that I see.

• "We Miss You Already"

Seriously, I did cancel the auto-renewal because I have watched hardly any premium content and I have not that much money to keep all subscriptions alive. Sending an email like that immeaditly after I cancel isn't nice and won't make me want to resubcribe. I would understand the email close to actual end date, but there is still few months to that. The only reason I did cancel was that I don't currently want to automatically renew subscriptions. I don't mind funding your site when I'm actually using it. I have currently even skipped most of the free stuff, because I don't have time and intrest to most of it.

That "emotianal blackmail" is just a lame thing to do.

• @firebird: I like your idea. Premium members are invested in the site and want it to be useful and fun for everyone.

• If the Tested team wants a mod that could go though and delete all the spam posts I would happily volunteer, if they would allow it to be done remotely...
    The spam really has made it difficult to use the forum, am I really have enjoyed the forums.
  • @will: PLEASE DO NOT CLOSE IT ( I am a premium member)... Look at how apps like 9gag and stack overflow work. Let us filter the content by giving us "like" and "dislike" options. The more likes a post has the more chance it has of being seen. Of course, you can have different categories like "fresh" (posts that are new that do not have a lot of attention), and "trending" (very popular posts), that we can visit, depending on what we want to view..... So maybe, some sort of Filter system, would be affective?

• @JustinLipper: Hi Justin, Will doesn't work at Tested any more, so @-replying him probably doesn't do much ;)

Sadly, while it is a good idea, an upvote system is unlikely as that means restructuring the entire forum solution, when they don't have the resources to make regularly scheduled basic fixes to core functionality or even bugs that arise with new browsers, such as @-replies themselves.

• Forums have been successfully combating spam since the first days of the internet. It would be really nice to hear someone in a position of some power say that they recognize that this is still a problem here. @ladyjade414 I 2nd you on that. I'd happily help in the clean up efforts.

• I would just be happy if I could actually see the "Premium" Content I paid for in The browser that is my everyday workhorse, FireFox. How about it, Tested?

• so it turns out support did reply to my Forum entry about me not seeing premium content, but it looks like I also do not get any emails from tested and I can´t see any new response alerts here on the site or something like that, so I go to delete my puplic post about support not getting back to me to avoid foot in mouth disease, but I can´t edit any of my posts now. Anything else while we re at it? I hope y´all are having a really swell Monday.

• @diakinesis: The forum software is custom and has no effective way to combat real people registering accounts and posting nonsense ads. It has gotten a lot better, but it is time consuming to enact new measures due to the terrible infrastructure this site was originally built on and the lack of resources (Tested has no dedicated developers and all their technical support staff are in LA, whilst HQ is in San Francisco). Volunteer mods are unlikely to happen, members have offered to volunteer several times over the last couple of years since the last active mods (not paid support) left. The problem is that the forum software does not have granular mod-tools, which means you are either a member or a full-on admin, and the Tested team is understandably unwilling to hand over the master-keys to regular members.

@bbwolf: The edit function only works for the first 15 minutes after an initial post. If you wish to delete a thread or reply, you'll have to ask support. It is my impression that these issues are mostly intentional.

• @kim_a thanks for clearing that up. I must say, now that I am actively participating here, I m a bit taken aback by the ..... I don´t know, the "Premium" and the Forum experience from Tested? Judging from the Videos and all that geeky content I kinda exptected the forum and support structure to be up to snuff. I m a bit disappointed I must say. Pages full of ads for putting a curse on my ex? sure, sign me the fuck up. Let´s wave a dead chicken above the Servers to defrag the harddrives while we re at it.

• @bbwolf: I think the latest site-wide update was in 2014, since then it has only been sporadic bug-fixes and a new Premium video-player (again, using needlessly custom solutions that lacked basic features for several months).

They are a small crew and all of them focused on content, not running the site. Tested's parent company isn't doing their share of the lifting to make sure the technical framework is good enough, probably because so much of the sites userbase solely consume content through Youtube. Things picked up once Adam was done with Mythbusters and began dedicating more resources to the project, but there is a long way to go.

At least they have an active support-presence on the site now, they didn't for the first five years I spent on here. You'd just fire emails off and hope for the best. :p

• @kim_a: wow, like the internet dark ages of 2003. thats part of the problem aye? Easy to have a shiney new palace just by looks alone on the web. I must say, it is easier to enjoy via youtube. To see old premium videos, one has to click backwards through the gallery. unless one knows what to search for. Which one can´t because one signed up for the new unknown content, aye?

So my Feedback for that, better sorted Videos for Premium Content please.

• bump
  • Lumivol Drinking plenty of water will help keep your skin healthy. Without sufficient water, your skin can become dull and wrinkled. Drink the recommended amount of water every day to keep this from happening to you. If the bland taste of water does not suit you, consider giving it some flavor with a lemon slice or dab of cranberry juice. Your skin will benefit from this.

Read More>>>http://www.realperfecthealth.com/lumivol/

• i need help, i'm trying to start a post, it allowed me to start a thread but i cant actually post anything! it keeps telling me "an error occurred while posting your comment... help!