List of Anime movies and series for a more adult audience.

Created by Rallier on March 17, 2014, 4:07 a.m.
  • The Elfen Lied anime is alright, but that list seems to be lacking Hellsing Ultimate. So thats what I would recommend watching. As for movies, there is a 7 part series of movies under Kara no Kyoukai.

• I could never get into Elfen Lied. I liked Speedgrapher, and Lain is a wonderful anime. I would add Desert Punk to the list as well. While its raunchy and the main character is a gigantic perv and somewhat of an annoying ass. Its Still quite hilarious. Its worth watching the dub, cause the voice acting is amazing on it.

• @Rallier:

Claymore starts off rather well but drops off towards the end into ridiculousness.

Speed Grapher I haven't seen but I think I own a copy of it.

Ergo Proxy I really enjoyed, I was a big fan of GitS:SAC and this gave off a similar feel.

Deadman Wonderland wasn't my cup of tea, it was OK but just didn't do it for me.

Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne I haven't seen.

Mirrai Nikki also haven't seen :( looks interesting though.

Serial Experiments Lain is a little old now so not sure if the animation will be up to current standards the story itself is a little bit of a mind trip.

Tekkonkinkreet is another series I haven't seen.

Gantz I can remember enjoying but that was a long time ago.

Elfen Lied I loved, was terrifying and cute all at the same time.

Spice and Wolf I also enjoyed although I haven't seen the second season.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd prolly add to that things like Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Death Note, Samurai 7, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Black Lagoon, Hellsing Ultimate, Seirei no Moribito, Twelve Kingdoms, Darker than Black, Devil May Cry and there are probably a few more suggestions I could make.

• You know what? Planetes. The subject matter seems totally appropriate for this site. That series needs more love.

• @evil_gordita: Yes Yes Yes! Holy shit! Can't believe I forgot about Planetes.

EDIT: By the way, I'm so glad there is actually a few others who enjoy their anime. Wasn't sure if I was the only one lol.

• Psycho-Pass. Dumb name I know, but it's the anime love child of Blade Runner and Minority Report. Set in a future where Japan has isolated itself again, technology has been developed that can scan your brainwaves and determine the percent chance of you committing a crime. No more judges and jury, just the system. The tricky part is that to catch criminals you have to think like one, which flags you as a criminal in the system. Beat cops and detectives become Enforcers, de-facto prisoners of the state, and are only let out with an Inspector. The whole show is on Hulu and I think most people on this site would really dig it

http://www.hulu.com/psycho-pass

• Oh and Ghost in The Shell: Stand Alone Complex! Who doesn't love procedural cop drama blended with transhumanism philosophy?!

http://www.hulu.com/ghost-in-the-shell-stand-alone-complex

• I'm digging Space Dandy. Never gets too serious, good action, nice short stories.

• @KnowOnesDesigns said:

Psycho-Pass. Dumb name I know, but it's the anime love child of Blade Runner and Minority Report. Set in a future where Japan has isolated itself again, technology has been developed that can scan your brainwaves and determine the percent chance of you committing a crime. No more judges and jury, just the system. The tricky part is that to catch criminals you have to think like one, which flags you as a criminal in the system. Beat cops and detectives become Enforcers, de-facto prisoners of the state, and are only let out with an Inspector. The whole show is on Hulu and I think most people on this site would really dig it

http://www.hulu.com/psycho-pass

Not seen this one but sounds super interesting. Gunna have to check this out. Cheers :D

• @Rallier:

My biggest bugbear is the almost complete lack of overarching story.

I guess that's what i really like about it, It never can get tied down by it's own plot, since they are all mostly self contained. This probably also stems from my love of shows like Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

Those were really good episodes, that plant planet one was real interesting int he way they changed up the art style a bit.

• It's really a great anime and it's gorgeous to boot. A friend of mine has the Blu-Ray edition and it's great, really happy it was to your liking.

I'm unsure everything on that list will be but I think they all have their own merit and are at the very least worth a try.

• Death note

• Death note

• Death note

• Death note is one of the good Anime movie. It is a story about someone who got the power to kill any one on the planet by just writing there names on a book.

Anime Movies

• I love Space Dandy. I think people have a problem with it because it's designed more as an American Satire; poking fun at cliche anime plot points instead of abiding by them. People go in expecting a psychedelic Cowboy Bebop, when really it plays out more like the other shows you would see on Adult Swim, and not Toonami. It's not like it doesn't have its deep/touching moments or episodes, you just have to take it for what it is. If the climax to the first episode didn't teach you anything- drop all expectations, be ready for anything, and just go along with the ride.

Best soundtrack since Samurai Champloo, which was the best since Bebop. Watanabe really knows his music and visuals.

As for the whole "adult themed anime," it's all subjective. Just because something is full of blood and violence doesn't make it any more mature- if anything it's the opposite. The older I get and the more I rewatch the work of Miyazaki and the rest of Studio Ghibli the more I take from all the films. Any great filmmaker works on more than one level with the messages they're getting across. A lot of these you don't fully realize until you've experienced life for a little while.

also-toonamiaftermath.com (the best kept secret on the web)