Quantcast

Would going from a iphone 5 to a nexus 4 be a downgrade?

Created by RavenSword on Feb. 9, 2013, 8:50 p.m.
  • I'm giving considerate thought into buying a nexus 4 and using that instead of my iphone 5. I want to try out android and see how I like it compared to iOS. Problem is, I don't know if going from to a nexus 4 would feel too much like a downgrade. Because iphone 5 has 4G and nexus 4 only has 3G HSPA+.

I have AT&T, so I'm not 100 percent sure how much I'll miss 4G, because they don't have a ton of coverage. And I obviously use wifi at home.

I'm not going to sell the iphone until I decide wether to hang onto the bexus 4, and I can easily get my money back selling the iphone if I decide to.

I'm just curious what you guys think.
  • No, it wouldn't be a downgrade, but you should go to play.google.com to check out if all your essential apps on the Play Store. It would be a great way to test out android and it is a very reasonable price for some top notch hardware.
  • You've made quite a few threads along this line. I'd say opinion is generally going to be the same. If Android has the apps you use then make the switch, only other major difference would be LTE since the N4 doesn't have it.

• @bjpe89 said:

No, it wouldn't be a downgrade, but you should go to play.google.com to check out if all your essential apps on the Play Store. It would be a great way to test out android and it is a very reasonable price for some top notch hardware.
    Yeah, it has all my essentials.
  • I say go for it, android is awesome, and the nexus 4 is an excellent way to get into the ecosystem and try it out. I wouldn't be too concerned about the LTE if you don't have great coverage, and HSPA+ is fast.
  • Give it a go then. If you needed to sell your iPhone to fund buying the N4 then I'd be wary but you've said you'll just be buying the N4 and keeping the iPhone 5 till you decide which you wish to keep so get the N4 and try it out.

• @stenchlord said:

Give it a go then. If you needed to sell your iPhone to fund buying the N4 then I'd be wary but you've said you'll just be buying the N4 and keeping the iPhone 5 till you decide which you wish to keep so get the N4 and try it out.

Well, I just thought selling the iPhone in order to get the nexus 4 would paint me in a corner if I did not like Android. And the nexus 4 is I think cheap enough to buy and try out without me selling my existing phone to fund it.
  • A decent HSPA+ connection is fine, you don't need 4G if you're getting that.

http://i.imgur.com/qd5se.png

My download speed when I'm in a decent coverage area on HSPA+, it's pretty great. That's comparable to the speed of an 8MB connection.

However 4G does have much better pings and if you do a lot of downloading you'll want the fastest, for streaming HSPA+ is more than enough. I can stream HD YouTube on that.

• I think it's really six of one half dozen of the other.

You'll get less in the way of new quality apps. For instance Mailbox is only on iOS for now, clear is iOS/Mac only etc.

On the other hand I think Android has some really cool stuff baked in like Now and widgets.

• @Vermy81 said:

For instance Mailbox is only on iOS for now,

I'm not all that sure that the newly released mailbox counts as "quality" looking at the user reviews going around...

• @Rallier:  Mailbox has been fantastic in my experience. Most low reviews are bitching about the queue process.
  • @Rallier: The general point would still stand. If you look at the things people are way into that are on Android but not iOS it's a real rogue's gallery of super nerdy stuff and piracy tools and so on.

Not that I have a problem with that but the hot new apps still seem to all come for iOS then get ported to Android later.

• @Vermy81: Oh i agree with you, it's just me hearing about the complaints with mailbox today that made me want to comment.

• @Vermy81 said:

@Rallier: The general point would still stand. If you look at the things people are way into that are on Android but not iOS it's a real rogue's gallery of super nerdy stuff and piracy tools and so on.

Not that I have a problem with that but the hot new apps still seem to all come for iOS then get ported to Android later.

Really, I don't find myself downloading that many new apps and games. I barely play games on my iphone.

I did mess around with a nexus 4 at a tmobile store and I liked it alot. It was fast and fluid and the screen looked great.

Honestly, I might just sell my iphone now and use some of the money to buy the nexus 4. If I can get AT&T to unlock, I could get more.

If I'm going to sell a 32gb black iphone 5 with a otterbox defender case, cables, but no original box, how much should I maybe ask for?
  • @RavenSword: I don't know what you get for the phone, but I will comment and say that if you have the opportunity to get both and take your pick, do it, especially if you're interested in switching to Android.

If the phone is in mint condition and you have all of the cables, I'd imagine that you could probably resell it for around retail price. It's best to check ebay and craigslist and find what other people are listing their phones for, because it can definitely vary from locale to locale. For ebay, see what is being bidded on and go from there.

There are some sites that you can purchase an unlock code through for a bit of cash. I'm not familiar with any reputable sites. you can look around, see how much it costs, and do that if AT&T won't unlock, and an unlocked phone will be worth your while.

• If you can afford it, keep the iPhone about until you have used the Nexus 4 as your day-to-day phone and have set on it one way or the other.

Despite what some may be saying here, if you're getting used to those LTE speeds no amount of HSDPA+ or DC-HSDPA will change the fact that the browsing will feel significantly slower. It's much easier to bear HSDPA speed if you're coming from 3G than LTE. I regularly get around 70-75mbps on LTE with the iPhone 5, versus the 25-30mbps on HSPA of my Android phone. It's significant, especially so if you tether to other devices (which is almost reason alone to hang onto that iPhone 5).

• @Lashe said:

If you can afford it, keep the iPhone about until you have used the Nexus 4 as your day-to-day phone and have set on it one way or the other.

Despite what some may be saying here, if you're getting used to those LTE speeds no amount of HSDPA+ or DC-HSDPA will change the fact that the browsing will feel significantly slower. It's much easier to bear HSDPA speed if you're coming from 3G than LTE. I regularly get around 70-75mbps on LTE with the iPhone 5, versus the 25-30mbps on HSPA of my Android phone. It's significant, especially so if you tether to other devices (which is almost reason alone to hang onto that iPhone 5).

Can't I tether using the nexus 4?
  • @RavenSword: yeah so long as your carrier allows it.

• @Lashe said:

@RavenSword: yeah so long as your carrier allows it.

I assume I can because AT&T let me do it with my iphone and ipad. Unless that's just a apple thing?
  • @RavenSword: It's been fascinating watching you progress down this path. All starting after we told you that Google makes some sweet iOS apps. "Should I switch to android?" "Should I get a nexus7?" "Should I get a nexus 4?"

You seem to have multiple iOS devices, so I'm guessing the reason you haven't just bought an android device yet stems from the fact that you're not unhappy with iOS. If you don't care about having all the apps and games, and if you don't care about LTE, then what are you looking for? Fast Web Browsing? Modding? Is the nexus 4 compelling for any particular, or would any other handset do? Do you just have $200 in your pocket that you're anxious to spend?

More than a few people have said "YES, GO DO IT" across all of these threads. And nobody is telling you not to do it, mostly just making sure you don't sell the iPhone first. So what is it that you need to hear to make the switch?

• @Conmused said:

@RavenSword: It's been fascinating watching you progress down this path. All starting after we told you that Google makes some sweet iOS apps. "Should I switch to android?" "Should I get a nexus7?" "Should I get a nexus 4?"

You seem to have multiple iOS devices, so I'm guessing the reason you haven't just bought an android device yet stems from the fact that you're not unhappy with iOS. If you don't care about having all the apps and games, and if you don't care about LTE, then what are you looking for? Fast Web Browsing? Modding? Is the nexus 4 compelling for any particular, or would any other handset do? Do you just have $200 in your pocket that you're anxious to spend?

More than a few people have said "YES, GO DO IT" across all of these threads. And nobody is telling you not to do it, mostly just making sure you don't sell the iPhone first. So what is it that you need to hear to make the switch?

Well, I already decided to make the switch. I put my iphone on eBay areasy, auction ends Sunday. After that I going to order the nexus 4.

I'm mainly just getting bored with iOS. Not that it isn't good or anything, it's just I wanted to try something new. And I really can't get any other phone but the nexus 4 because I'm still under contract and can't upgrade. So instead of paying a termination fee then full retail on something like the Optimus G (which is like 500 bucks or something off contract) I decided on the nexus 4 since I don't have to pay a early termination fee for it. At least I don't think.

Plus, I really liked the feel of the nexus 4 when i used it at a eMobile store and I like how it integrates with all google stuff , particularly google music.

I'm rather excited to try out a whole new Eco syestem. And if I don't like it, then I just get the iphone 6 when my upgrade comes around 2 years from now.
  • What's in an ecosystem that you're excited for if not Apps? The media functions are more or less the same.

• @Vermy81 said:

What's in an ecosystem that you're excited for if not Apps? The media functions are more or less the same.

No, it's apps. Android has all the apps I use on ios. I just mean the phone will feel different from ios. I'm excited to get used to something new and in some ways better. I'm excited to get full use out of google now and have a good integration with my google music. And I like how it organized and implemented something better than iPhone, like with widgets, and I like the bigger screen for video.

Plus, like I said, I'm just looking to try something new. And it seems like ios isn't innovating that much anymore.
  • @Conmused: Well in the Nexus 7 thread I was saying not to get it.

I don't think you'll be unhappy, but I don't think your going to be blown away either. Sure Google maps is a little better, and contacts are integrated with gmail and whatnot, but all n all in daily use the differences are minimal.

They do the same things in a slightly different way.

• @SLUSHIE said:

@Conmused: Well in the Nexus 7 thread I was saying not to get it.

I don't think you'll be unhappy, but I don't think your going to be blown away either. Sure Google maps is a little better, and contacts are integrated with gmail and whatnot, but all n all in daily use the differences are minimal.

Yeah. I'm not expecting to be blown away. But I think it'll be a nice change. At least cosmetically.
  • @RavenSword:  Norm's testing the Nexus 4 right now, having come from an iPhone 5. I'd expect he'll have something to say on this front when I'm back and we can shoot the video.
  • @will said:

@RavenSword:  Norm's testing the Nexus 4 right now, having come from an iPhone 5. I'd expect he'll have something to say on this front when I'm back and we can shoot the video.
    Look forward to seeing it. And get well soon, man
  • @RavenSword said:

@SLUSHIE said:

Yeah. I'm not expecting to be blown away. But I think it'll be a nice change. At least cosmetically.

I'm curious what you're opinion is going to be about android and the nexus. Check out the root thread if you want more things about Android. With all the third party apps you can change in to whatever you want.

• @hydrotherion1979 said:

@RavenSword said:

@SLUSHIE said:

I'm curious what you're opinion is going to be about android and the nexus. Check out the root thread if you want more things about Android. With all the third party apps you can change in to whatever you want.

Well, I'm not much interested in rooting or hacking the phone. Mainly due to laziness. But I'll check out the thread.

• @RavenSword said:

@hydrotherion1979 said:

@RavenSword said:

@SLUSHIE said:

Well, I'm not much interested in rooting or hacking the phone. Mainly due to laziness. But I'll check out the thread.

that's no problem. Most stuff in there is for the non rooted. Just some third party apps that are better then the stock stuff. Yes, even google. ;-) if there was a 32 or 64 gb nexus i wouldn't have bought a s3.^_^