Quantcast

Bag reviews

Created by thatlad on Nov. 8, 2012, 6:59 p.m.
  • Can anyone recommend any good bags? Or any sites with good reviews?

I need something that can carry a laptop, ipad, some paperwork and various accessories but also be used to carry some clothes if I'm staying over.

Surprised there's no reviews from the tested guys

• I've got a Chrome Citizen. It's pretty well sized and could probably carry that stuff if it's just one night of clothes. Seems well made and rugged, as well. For sure it can hold a 15" laptop, but if you have some 17" monstrosity, you might have trouble. I like it a lot more than the Timbuk2 I was using prior if for no reason other than that the strap cinches up higher. The Timbuk2 seems to sit on the small of my back while this is more on the upper back, which I find more comfortable. They also have a bigger model if you want.

http://www.chromebagsstore.com/bags/messenger-bags/citizen-buckle-bag---medium.html

• I've got a Chrome Citizen. It's pretty well sized and could probably carry that stuff if it's just one night of clothes. Seems well made and rugged, as well. For sure it can hold a 15" laptop, but if you have some 17" monstrosity, you might have trouble. I like it a lot more than the Timbuk2 I was using prior if for no reason other than that the strap cinches up higher. The Timbuk2 seems to sit on the small of my back while this is more on the upper back, which I find more comfortable. They also have a bigger model if you want. My only complaint would be that the seatbelt buckle can, supposedly, lead to jerks hitting it and making you drop your bag, which would be disastrous with a laptop and iPad inside. I haven't run into that, though, since I don't hang out with jerks.

http://www.chromebagsstore.com/bags/messenger-bags/citizen-buckle-bag---medium.html

• I don't know why that double posted. I hit edit. :(

• Will said he was working on a bag review a couple months ago. Not sure where that review went.

I own a Timbuk2 Commute 2.0 and a Manhattan Portage shoulder bag. These are smaller bags that can hold a 13" laptop, a couple notebooks, and a little more.

If you want something larger, I really like the Acme Made St. Clyde...

• I have a Timbuk2 bag that I am in a love/hate relationship with. It fits all my stuff pretty well. I usually have my MBA11, iPad and charger for the MBA in it. Usually I can fit a pair of change of clothes in it if needed. I recommend shopping around. I have heard good things about HEX and obviously Manhattan Portage.

• That Chrome bag looks awesome. Especially this bit: 'Seat-belt buckle release that doubles as a bottle opener'. But for the high price, that right there would have had me SOLD! As it is, will save up a bit and see if I still feel the same way towards Christmas.
  • Right now I just use a simple North Face backpack that does a pretty good job and for it's small size holds a fair amount. Today for example, I was carrying my 13" MBP in its Rickshaw sleeve, my iPad in its Rickshaw sleeve (both sleeves match of course hahaha), my rather bulky winter jacket, my Zojirushi (Mine is a half litre vacuum mug for my coffee. I adore this thing. They weren't kidding about how amazing they are), a water bottle, my ipod, a pair of gloves, a bunch of pens and pencils, a calculator, a geometry set (????) and a bunch of other little odds and ends. Not sure why the geometry set is in there but it is so I counted it.

I kinda don't want a backpack now so I'm looking at getting either a Rickshaw messenger bag or a Timbuk2 messenger bag. I like them both a fair amount. The base price of the Rickshaw is cheaper but pockets are extra, where there's a few built into the Timbuk2. I am not getting one for a while so I still have time to decide.

• The Wire cutter has a pretty good rundown of laptop and camera bags:

http://thewirecutter.com/leaderboard/best-bags/