Please, Everyone Take a Breath...

Created by will on March 16, 2012, 5:53 p.m.
  • :) :( o_0 ;)

• funny, we can't tell if he still says executable wrong or not...

• This is really good to read. I'll have faith, at least until the site gets on its feet and running.

this needless headless chicken wild internet speculation has been annoying across ALL the formerly WM sites.

• The idea of you four blowing shit up just brought a tear to my eye.

• Fantastic, thanks Will.

So here's what the problem was. The site went up whilst mama and papa were busy, so we all stumble din on our own and had no contxt for any of this and it kinda stunned us all.

• Thank you for this dose of sanity, Will.

• I <3 you Will. I don't want you to go away. :(

• Thanks Will. I'm with ya guys.

• That was very well written and it answered about everything that I was worried about. I hope everything works out great.

Always Be Testing.

• Clearly the only thing that should be blown up is LEGO.

• Great post will! Glad you're sticking to your guns.

• What a lame first response.

I don't quite understand the logo, but I guess using Adam and Jamie's names is for brand recognition or something? I don't like it, regardless of who actually has creative control.

• I still think you are underselling yourselves. Whatevs. Good Luck!

• Thanks for the post, Will. You cleared up a lot. Now to continue freaking out about Matt Rorie until he has his post talking about all this.

• Thanks for the update Will. I'd suggest stickying the post, but I don't think that functionality has made it over to to forums quite yet.

• Thanks, Will. This helps. Honestly, I think part of the "problem" was that we weren't hearing anything from you or Norm while you were filming videos. If you look at it from the perspective of a loyal, founding user, it was a huge shock and the lack of communication made the changes even more jarring.

• I couldn't imagine the excitement that is going through your heads. I can not wait to see how crazy this next year is going to be.

• Go Tested Go!

• I'm glad to hear you guys are happy with the way things are going.

I'm not a fan of the direction. I liked a more tech focused site sprinkled with a bit of coffee or weirdness. But I can respect what you want to do with it.

• Thank you. This is what I was asking for in Norm's post, a real sit-down-and-explain-stuff post. I just want to be reassured. I know this is a huge opportunity for you guys, and I'm super happy for you. It just got sprung on me in a (in my opinion) rather poor fashion, and it really bummed me out. I'm sure a lot of the other posters and readers feel the same way. Now that you've really addressed some of the specific issues, I (and I imagine many of the other people who were freaking out) are more than willing to give you guys some time to get to grips with the new site

• I'm sure it will be fine but you could understand why people would be freaked at first.

• It was jarring but once the content starts flowing I'm sure it'll smooth out. Business as usual, nothing to see here folks.

More importantly though, it's time to pour one out for @bagels. One love.

• I think this is a natural consequence of Whiskey Media sites being so personality driven. People have an investment in Whiskey Media sites not just because they produce high quality content but because they love the editorial staff which produces the fine content. The community is a lot more engaged because of this, but this also makes adding talent a tricky proposition because if you're not careful the community will reject the new contributors. Look at Giant Bomb and the addition of Patrick Klepek and how careful they were in choosing him to improve their site. With a personality driven site you need to have a deft touch in adding people to make sure you don't alienate the community which loves you for being yourselves.

I'd have to say that this relaunch of Tested, putting two guys a lot of us have no affection for first and foremost in the icon and the banner, is just about the worst way you could add talent to the site. It's just careless.

• Reading this is very reassuring, not to mention it sounds crazy awesome. Keep up the great work, guys!

• We love you too Will, and Norm, but that's why we freaked out. Everything happened very abruptly, and new faces, no matter how famous they are, were kind of scary.

Thanks for this post. We got your backs.

• It was surreal because I was watching Mythbusters for the first time in a long time since I don't have Discovery. Thanks Netflix. Then I checked Tested before bed and freaked the fuck out. Personally, I think you guys got the better deal compared to Giantbomb. Best of luck to everyone Also if anyone is listening - please keep the Roku apps alive
  • i'm surprised that you even needed to address this, but i guess a lot of us are just afraid of change.

thanks, Will. hopefully people won't be so worried now.

• Regardless of the redesign/branding, I still think this is a great thing for Tested.

I know a lot of you guys were really fond of the 'old site', but Tested stagnated badly. I don't know if it was because of budgets, time management or what, but IMO Tested never really lived up to its promise. It became a general tech blog with the occasional very good video and a great podcast.

Would you guys have preferred BermanBraun just fire Will and Norm and hire minimum-wage bloggers to fill content between the odd Adam and Jamie video?

So seriously, get over yourselves and show our new audience what made Tested great for the last 2 years.