Quantcast

Tested Folding@Home team; Anybody on board?

Created by CROM on March 15, 2012, 7:17 p.m.
  • READ THIS FIRST

Do not be intimidated by how long this thread is! All the information you need to start folding is right here on this page!

This is indeed a long thread, but most of it is just off-topic chatter between people who joined the team. So do not feel pressured to read through it, there's no need. Everything you need to know is contained in this post.

For those who aren't familiar with it, Folding@Home is a distributed computing project which simulates protein folding for scientific research purposes. You can read more about it at http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Main

One of our team members, Helushune, has kindly put together a tutorial post on how to start folding for our team using the FAH GPU Tracker (works for the CPU client as well!). 

I created a team with the number 197673, called "Tested.com Folding Team". Download the client application from the website and join in! 

Click the graphic below to see our stats in more detail!

Congratulations everyone, we reached 5 million points! 

• I added my PS3.  I'll probably add my FreeBSD workstation next time I'm on it and download the client.

Edit:
    There's no native FreeBSD client (very silly) and I don't have the linux compatibility libraries installed.  It only runs single core since FreeBSD's linux emulation is 32bit despite it being an Opteron and running the AMD64 build; I really wanted SMP.  Guess that's a bust.
  • will be when I have a PC that can handle it and actually do some good. 

might add my laptop, but am a little worried about the potential heat it would cause...
  • I would, but I already fold for MaxPC (I was in the top 500 for DL.TV but that was awhile ago).  But if Tested gets enough members, it would be awesome to have Tested join the annual folding challenge!  We love having competition :P
  • @WolfOfOne said:
    " I would, but I already fold for MaxPC (I was in the top 500 for DL.TV but that was awhile ago).  But if Tested gets enough members, it would be awesome to have Tested join the annual folding challenge!  We love having competition :P "
    If that happens I'm adding my main rig.  GPU and CPU clients.  Muwhaha!
  • @Helushune: Bring it! :D
  • I am adding my main rig, disabling when I need to.

• Wow, that GPU version that takes advantage of the CUDA cores is absolutely crazy on a SLI GTX260 setup.
  • Just signed up. Happy folding :)
  • I will start asap
  • @Helushune: Agreed.  I'm rather dissapointed in ATi/AMD cards.  They need to work with Pande to optimize the gpu client further.
  • Anyone know if there is a gpu version that will work with my ATI HD 5850?
  • @Guibone said:
    "Anyone know if there is a gpu version that will work with my ATI HD 5850? "

The GPU2 and GPU3 versions should.  Unless I fail at reading patch notes (enturely possible).
  • @Helushune:  I think I just tried the gpu2 and it didn't work. I thought initially that gpu3 was nvidia only but it appears to work 

Thanks.
  •  @WolfOfOne:
    For sure.  It's not like ATI cards are hurting for stream processors.  =P

@Guibone: 
    Yeah, that's weird.  GPU2 states it should work on the 5XXX series.  If it's any consolation, I'm unable to get the Windows SMP version working; no crazy i7 for them.
  • @Helushune: Oooh, what is this SMP?
  • @Guibone: 
    Basically the CPU version that's designed to use multiple cores/threads instead of a single one.  I can't tell if it doesn't like running on a 64bit OS or if it doesn't like my cpu.
  • @Helushune: Looks like it likes my i5 on 64bit Windows 7
  • @Guibone: 
    Hrm, I'll have to give it another go and do some tinkering.  It ran but after it'd download the work unit it'd just sit at 0% and never initialize the cpu. 
  • @Helushune: Oh wait. Yup. Not budging from 0. D:
  • @Guibone: 
    Yeah, that's what I ran in to.  I couldn't imagine an i7 sitting at 0% completed for over an hour.  It looks like I deleted it after it wouldn't work (the GPU one works quite well anyway) but I wonder what would happen if it was run in Win7's compatibility mode.
  • @Helushune: Oh yea, my GPU is flying past my CPU as well. Just tried a few different compatibility settings without success. Hopefully you have better luck
  • @Helushune: Agreed, they could be a lot more efficient if AMD worked with them as much as nVidia. 

Are you guys using the console smp?
  • @WolfOfOne said:

"Are you guys using the console smp? "

That's what I tinkered with a little bit last night when I should have been going to bed so I was tired and irate.  The normal single-threaded systray client works just fine but I really wanted to harness some available power.
  • @Helushune: Well I downloaded and configured the latest beta smp console client, added the -smp switch and -advmethods, my cpu is reading 100% utilization by a sys monitor; however the console is still on 0% done.  I'll give it a few minutes to see if it progresses.
  • I'm currently running the GPU client on my desktop (8800GTS). I might add a CPU folding thread to my server as well.
  • @WolfOfOne: 
    I suppose I could just run 8 separate instances of the normal systray client and force set the affinity for each one to a different cpu core.
  • Now, that's dedication :P  Alternatively, is there a non-beta console smp that i missed?  I looked but didn't see one.
  • I had it running on my laptop's core i3 until my mom put it to sleep by closing it this morning and it's been running on my Pentium D since 11PM last night.  Pentium's almost done with a work unit.  I hope to build a new PC around January and will have that running when that happens.

• @Helushune: Hey, It took 23.26 mins, but the console started giving me output on it's progress, so just give it time :)