Let's play TF2, you knuckleheads.

Created by lane on March 15, 2012, 6:21 p.m.
  • @Helushune:  I see, so to check for spies you just shoot everyone. Crude, but effective.  Bummer on the keys, but i'm not exactly swimming in crates either so it's not that big of a deal.  

Oh, if you could get me a Direct Hit I would be oh so thankful. I have some number of things I can't use if you want any, but they don't seem particularly rare. Someday i'll pay you back with an item (oh, and Lane with a game). What class do you usually play? 
  • 20 min left!  

This is the last time i'm downloading a 8gig game. I hate the progress bar. 
  • @Fripplebubby:  Yeah, spies just run around and spit fire at everyone and see if they burn or not.  If they're invisible you can kind of see the bending light effect if you get close to them or bump in to them.
    Haha, no worries.  I've got like 4 Direct Hits lying around that I'm not going to do anything with.  Just poke me online and I'll give you one. 
    I am quite fond of the Medic and Heavy; the Medic has the most hours logged though.  I'm also known to go Pyro should the occasion arise.
  • Oh my... this sure is a fast game. Well i played a 32 player king of the hill game with no respawn timer which might have had something to do with it being a complete clusterfuck. 
  • @Rallier

32 players and fast respawn is pretty much exactly how the game is NOT intended to be played. It's very much balanced for 24 players and long respawn times.
  • Played some more of it. It's no minecraft that's for sure. I'm having some trouble adjusting to it, it has been a while since I played a fast paced shooter like that.
  • I just started playing because of the holiday sale, too! I think my general suckiness at shooters combined with the already established player base is the reason why I last no more than a minute and thirty seconds before dying. 

do you guys have any server recommendations? places I can play without too much rape? 

also: add me as a friend on steam! user name is bored_and_agitated 

(:
  • I would recommend no longer playing Trade Fortress 2.  
    Valve disgusts me with the man co store. 
  • @dg991: They give some amount of percentage to the content authors, I'm alright with it.  Still doesn't mean I'm going to buy anything from it however.
  • @Helushune: I no longer care about content authors getting money when the add on of a store harms the game.  

There ARE, contrary to what valve and the fanboys say, items within the store that you can buy that will give you an advantage. The most notable of them being the milkman items for the scouts. 
    You may say that these items can also be acquired through drops and trades.... 
    You can play for over 2000 hours and never get that drop, and I frankly I don't want to trade my way to a tactical advantage in a FPS.  
    Also, when digital items sell for $39.99 you know something is wrong. And when I mean sell... I mean people are BUYING them!  
    Also hats sell for $1,000. The rare hats with weird effects. Yes... people are actually paying that much for digital hats. 
    Valve is now catering to the crazy people out there who shell out money in games for fun. And they are doing it for business reasons at the expense of great game they built. They sold out. 
    You may also say find a vanilla server but I find that these are hard to come by. They are usually empty and/or crap. 
    The game is a big turd compared to what it was and it makes me very sad. Ask any of my close gaming friends and they will tell you that TF2 was my most highly recommended multiplayer game since it came out right up until the addition of the store. 

I can't believe I am saying this in 2011 in reference to a Valve game... All the shit they are doing with TF2 has me concerned. Most of my games are on Steam. 

/rant 

Anyone down for a BFBC2 game instead?
  • @dg991: Fair enough, I've heard very similar positions from other people as well.  Another thing that comes to mind is The Black Box for the Soldier or, hell, all of the Spy stuff.  I'll admit I don't play nearly as much as I used to (mostly because the Spy polycount pack + Dead Ringer pisses me off way too much).  I honestly don't think they think of it as selling out, it's more of a way to get community work out there but I see where you're coming from.
  • The community has been pitching in ideas and willing to work on stuff since the day TF2 came out. All anyone had to do was check the Steam Powered Forums... packed full of suggestions and concept art.  Money was not needed to motivate people. 
    What bothers me the most is that the store is right in your face when you load TF2 up. To me it signals the change to a micro transactions within Valve games.  

Do you want the Awp in CS:S 2? Well, you can save up money and earn it by killing people and then buying it next round, or you can pay $39.99 for the hat-of-insant-awp. 

^^ A little exaggerated but valve has historically gotten away with stuff like this that people didn't like. They did it with Steam (no one wanted it, now it is great), They did it with l4d2 (no one wanted it, and now just like we thought l4d1 is all but dead... the fastest Valve game to ever die. l4d2 should of been an expansion if anything), and now the ManCo Store. Lets see what happens.  
  • The man co store is defitly a odd duck. First thing that i see when i start the game is a 50 euro item pack. Considering i paid only 5 Euros for the game i was quite confused seeing that.  

I played some more of it and i think that i prefer playing as a medic. I'm achievement hunting with him now to get some new gear. 
  • @dg991 said:

I no longer care about content authors getting money when the add on of a store harms the game.   There ARE, contrary to what valve and the fanboys say, items within the store that you can buy that will give you an advantage. The most notable of them being the milkman items for the scouts. You may say that these items can also be acquired through drops and trades.... You can play for over 2000 hours and never get that drop, and I frankly I don't want to trade my way to a tactical advantage in a FPS.

That's why Valve gave the Milkman (and all the set hats) a guaranteed crafting recipe. They're the only hats that can be specifically crafted with zero random element.  

Also, when digital items sell for $39.99 you know something is wrong. And when I mean sell... I mean people are BUYING them!   
    Also hats sell for $1,000. The rare hats with weird effects. Yes... people are actually paying that much for digital hats. 

They're not spending your money, so what does it matter to you?

Valve is now catering to the crazy people out there who shell out money in games for fun. And they are doing it for business reasons at the expense of great game they built. They sold out.

The game they've been updating and improving for the past three years for free? Yeah, shame on them for trying to re-monetize what's pretty much been the best-supported multiplayer game in history.

You may also say find a vanilla server but I find that these are hard to come by. They are usually empty and/or crap.

You forgot "boring" and "full of people who want to complain about how the game's not fun anymore."

The game is a big turd compared to what it was and it makes me very sad. Ask any of my close gaming friends and they will tell you that TF2 was my most highly recommended multiplayer game since it came out right up until the addition of the store.

The store hasn't changed a damned thing about the game except for the fact that people with a little money to spend but not much free time can play with the goodies you previously had to grind out.

Anyone down for a BFBC2 game instead? 

You mean the game where the "Medic" class's healing ability has to be unlocked before you can be useful to your team?
  • @lane: Typical response. 
    My original post still applies about crafting and all that nonsense.  
    They are catering to the crazy people who spend money on digital items and it hurts the actual game. It is now a big trading, crafting, and (worst of all) buying nightmare instead of a fun team focused FPS. 

That is exactly what they did, they built the game up to be great and then sold out by selling in game items and putting it right in your face when you load up the game and also spamming you on steam when they have a digital "sale". Half off on DIGITAL PAINT!  
    I would of rather they stopped updating if they were going to do this.  

The vanilla servers are not full of anyone. A lot of people who actually play the game quit. I've been in servers were people just sit in spawn trading items. 

About BFBC2:
    What is your point? You unlock the healing ability 10 minutes into playing as a medic if your any good and you start off with what is arguably the easiest and best gun. The machine gun the medic has is very good. BFBC2 is easy for a new player to pick up.  
    TF2 is now a shit storm for any new players so I find your argument very ironic. 
  • @dg991:   

They are catering to the crazy people who spend money on digital items and it hurts the actual game. It is now a big trading, crafting, and (worst of all) buying nightmare instead of a fun team focused FPS.

You're playing on the wrong servers, then. The ones I play on are still full of people having fun playing the best multiplayer game on the planet, with a trade here and there during set-up that doesn't bother anybody.  

That is exactly what they did, they built the game up to be great and then sold out by selling in game items and putting it right in your face when you load up the game and also spamming you on steam when they have a digital "sale". Half off on DIGITAL PAINT! 

Oh no, a new button on the start menu where there was formerly empty space! What will I do?! Also, what "spam?" I've never received anything of the sort.

About BFBC2:
    What is your point? You unlock the healing ability 10 minutes into playing as a medic if your any good and you start off with what is arguably the easiest and best gun. The machine gun the medic has is very good. BFBC2 is easy for a new player to pick up. 

My point is that you have to unlock items in BC2 just to be on an even keel with people who've been playing a while. All the items in TF2 are sidegrades - in fact, most pros still use the stock loadout.  

TF2 is now a shit storm for any new players so I find your argument very ironic.  

I don't know if this is true or not because I've been playing since day one, so new players of Tested: shitstorm or no?
  • I've been playing since the beta (open to people who pre ordered the orange box)... 
    It was never the best multiplayer game, but maybe one of the best class based multiplayer FPS's.   

There is a shit ton of AFK people trading.
    And every server I go into suffers from it sooner or later. It is a mess.  
    Vanilla Servers are empty also...   
    Even TF2lobby has people who go AFK item trading.

About the store at startup.  
    It is not just a button, it is a store with a "new item" for the low price of $39.99 or some other insane amount (It's alright though, I would not even pay a cent).  It is right in your face and really distasteful.  
    And every once in a while valve will send an update or notification promoting a new TF2 ManCo Digital Item sale. This holiday they did it for digital Paint.... half off. Oh goodie!

You must not have played BC2 because that is not true. I have friends who just bought the game for $7 and they are having a blast and have almost as good a KDR in games as me and I have been playing off and on since the beta. It could be because they are my FPS buddies from other games.  
    And I have been to lan parties (for other games) and have talked to TF2 pros and have played with them at lans and online. They will be the first ones to say it. They mostly stick with the stock load out because they have been playing with the items so long that the muscle memory and instinct is attuned to the particular weapons. Also many of the newer items are not yet legal in TF2 tourney rules. Some are even banned in some competitions and matches. It is not like the competitive TF2 scene really has grown any. It is no where close to what CS:S was at its greatest moment. Eventually these pro players may use the newer items, but who really cares. All these items screwed up the Pro scene in some ways because different leagues have different rules regarding items. 

And I know people who just bought TF2 and BFBC2... they take one look at TF2 and see digital items and massive amounts of shit within the game (crafting and other bs) and say "THAT IS NOT FOR ME" and move onto the better game BFBC2. Pretty sad that the GREAT gameplay of TF2 is buried under so much clutter that people can't pick it up and go like they used to. 

MORE != Better... TF2 used to be one of my favorite games, but it is utter shit in its current state. 
  • I've fallen in love with the medic class. Dodging bullets, healing everyone up and then providing the ubercharge need to do the final push on a control point.  

Is there a thread with everyone's steam id?  

edit: well that explains the people i see idling every now and then, i've not seen many but there definitely are sometimes. 
  • @Rallier: Medics are fun as hell. 

Check this thread and this one as well for tags.
  • @lane said:
    " new players of Tested: shitstorm or no? "
    Not at all.  Seeing all the crazy shit other players have only motivates me to play more. And also Mr. @dg991: BFBC2 has many, many upgrades you have kill a lot of people to get, much in the same way of a certain TF2, except without crafting and trading (which are pluses in my eyes). You don't want to buy the $1000 hat? Then fucking don't. You don't want to play TF2? See previous answer. 
  • @Fripplebubby: Different opinion but my point is the game is worse then it was before by a substantial amount, both for new and old players. And this is mostly because of the addition of a store.  

BFBC2 upgrades are given to everyone in the same exact way. No luck or MONEY involved. You get kills and complete objectives to earn them. (Much like TF2's former achievement system). 

TF2 requires quite a lot of... well... NOT playing the game to earn these weapons and items.  
  • @dg991: 

Stop saying "the game is worse" when you mean "I don't think it's fun anymore." I think it's as good as it's ever been, store or no, so don't act like it's an objective fact.
  • Man this game is fun. Well when you are in a team that understands when to attack and when to hold. I just played a game where we had to defend two points and the enemy team could not even leave their base. Me as a medic and a heavy blocked their entrance mowing them all down and that for 4 minutes straight without dying. I ended up getting the assist a heavy for 20 kills as a medic achievement for it as well, Just one more achievement and i unlock a new weapon!  

Also ended up doing a really good swift attack with another medic both of us using the uber on heavies. They stood no chance ^^ 

However when the team is filled with people who go out and solo then you might as well quit the server straight away. I've also come across some people who abuse the "medic" button. The time i spend running up to them just to see them be full health I could have saved someone else from death.  

Oh well that is what a team game is about, it only gets as good as your team mates are. 
  • @Rallier said:
    I've also come across some people who abuse the "medic" button. The time i spend running up to them just to see them be full health I could have saved someone else from death.
    FYI, the little "Medic!" bubble over their heads gets more red the more hurt they are, so if you see one that's white as snow then they don't need any healing. However, remember that you can over-heal teammates to 150% of their health, so it's never a bad thing to zap someone at full health with your Medigun if there's nobody on death's doorstep in your immediate vicinity.
  • That is a handy tip. Still the spammer are annoying especially when they just stand there idling but now i'll know where my priorities are. Health drains back to 100 percent once your medigun beam "disconnects" so no really use doing that far away from the "front". 

I also just noticed that there is a button for "fast weapon toggle". Why that is not on be default puzzles me a bit. 
  • @Rallier: 
    The HUD icon that appears when someone calls for a medic can actually tell you if you need to rush over and heal them or not.  The cross will depleat, catch on fire, or the entire balloon will flash red if they're in dire need of a medic. 

I'm actually terrible at pushing the medic button if I need healing if I'm playing soldier or heavy.  And when I play Medic, I usually just find one person and latch on to them for the entire game.    

• @Rallier: 

If they're a Soldier, Demoman, or Heavy, they may want you to "pocket" them, which basically means following them around and keeping them healed so they can run up into the thick of battle and do lots of damage without being killed. While it means ignoring other teammates for the most part, it's a very effective tactic for pushing through a choke point or a huge group of enemies. It's times like this where a microphone really comes in handy.

Also, one piece of advice to new TF2 players: ALWAYS tell your team that you're new. TF2 generally has a really great community, and most people will be happy to give you advice and help you learn to play better. Not to mention the fact that they might offer you some items to get you started.
  • @lane:  " TF2 generally has a really great community, and most people will be happy to give you advice and help you learn to play better. " 

Are we playing a different game? That might explain why you can't see how the game is worse with the addition of a store. 

• @dg991: 

Like I said, you must be playing with the wrong people. You joining Lotus Clan servers or what?