Quantcast

Let's play TF2, you knuckleheads.

Created by lane on March 15, 2012, 6:21 p.m.
  •  8.17.251.194:27015

See you there.
  • I pushed refresh as hard as I could! 

Ahwell, I need to go to bed in an hour because I'm an old man and have to keep a job now and I've been procrastinating laundry all night.
  • If someone gifts me TF2, I will gladly play on your broke-ass server for at least twenty minutes. 
  • @Fripplebubby:
    You should have mentioned that earlier.  I totally would have when it was $2.
  • If TF2 goes on sale for $5 or under at any point during the Steam Holiday deals, I'll get it for FB. It'll be worth it to see him in action after all the shit he's talked about TF2. =)

Also, let's play tonight around 9PM CST, assuming the server is back up. Right now it looks like it's unavailable for some reason.
  • Stuff it, FB prepare to be gifted.......
  • Oh snap, TF2's on sale.  Is someone getting FB?  I will if no one else is.

• @intoblivion: @lane:  

"FB"? Reminds me too much of Facebook. Ah well, it's better than naught. 

Also, TF2 is totally $5 right now. 
  • @Fripplebubby: 

Damn, the Ghost of Steam Sales Future must have been eavesdropping.

Incoming.
  • @lane: Hey thanks!  

Now i'd better hone my skills in a sweet training montage. 
  • @Fripplebubby: 

You play a lot of BC2, right? Then forget everything you know. TF2 is a lot more strategy and a lot less twitch shooting.

Incidentally, I got BC2 last week and was berated by a twelve year old within my first fifteen minutes. I'm terrible at it.
  • I should get that game at some point, i think that it would actually run decently on my laptop.  

And somehow just typing that reminded me of Battlefied Heroes, Man that was a fun game,until they suddenly changed the economic model into a pay2win... Such a waste. 
  • @Rallier: 

It's on sale today for 75% off.
  • Just bought it.  Ace!
  • @lane: I wouldn't say i'm exactly pro status on BC2, but i've played a lot more of it than TF2, at least.
  • @lane said:
    " @Rallier:   It's on sale today for 75% off. "

This is going to take at least the entirety of what is remaining of 2010 
  • I am totally up for playing some TF2, as soon as I can figure out why the IP you gave me isn't working for me... 

EDIT: I should read posts more thoroughly, I will totally play at 9CST
  • @LtSquigs: 

It looks like the server is DOWN down (as in, lost power or something). I'll try to get ahold of Will before 9 and see if there's anything he can do about it.
  • @lane: Server is the back up time party yay!
  • It's going down RIGHT NOW. Join up maggots.
  • @lane: Gah, sorry I missed you guys tonight. Friends came a'calling with their crazy parties and shit. 
  • @Fripplebubby: 

It's okay, we only had a handful of people show up and dispersed pretty quickly. Stupid people with your New Year's and your celebrations and your SOCIAL LIVES.
  • I've been watching some TF2 fortress videos and i'm really looking forward playing it but right now i'm stuck at watching a progress bar, a very very slow progress bar... 21hours. 

So where do you mine for hats? 
  • @Rallier said:
    " I've been watching some TF2 fortress videos and i'm really looking forward playing it but right now i'm stuck at watching a progress bar, a very very slow progress bar... 21hours.  So where do you mine for hats?  "
    They're random drops for the most part determined by how long you're playing.  You can craft them using various materials you get from destroying excess items or trading for hats with other players.  You can buy a pretty good selection of them in the store for real money if you so desire as well.
  • Last night in a slightly wine-addled frame of mind, I ended up on a trading server and walked out with a Chieftain's Challenge. I honestly don't remember what I traded away for it, but I feel extremely confident that it was worth it.
  • @lane: Clearly those are when the best ideas happen.
  • @Helushune said:
    " @Rallier said:
    " I've been watching some TF2 fortress videos and i'm really looking forward playing it but right now i'm stuck at watching a progress bar, a very very slow progress bar... 21hours.  So where do you mine for hats?  "
    They're random drops for the most part determined by how long you're playing.  You can craft them using various materials you get from destroying excess items or trading for hats with other players.  You can buy a pretty good selection of them in the store for real money if you so desire as well. "
    Oh my, i was just making a silly Minecraft reference there but i had no idea that that was actually in the game... 

This is not going to end well. 
  • @Rallier: I was actually thinking of this: 

Which is from VGCats but the comic itself with this reference seems to be broken right now.
  • I think i've changed my mind about TF2. This game is pretty fucking rad.  

If I were to analyze my own opinions, I would say that the reason I wasn't fond of it before was probably due to me being new to the whole "mouse and keyboard for FPS games" thing (yeah, I know, but we didn't all grow up playing doom and such). Since i've now been PC-only for a little over a year (not to mention I now have a gaming mouse), i'm a lot more comfortable with the control scheme and I can enjoy the game for what it is. As long as I can pretend to ignore the cartoony graphics, I really really enjoy playing this. Not only is it a well-balanced class-based FPS with a ton of maps, modes, and players, it has a whole item gathering/crafting/trading system that gives you incentive to play this game for a long, long time  (of course, i'm preaching to the choir so to speak).  

I could use some tips though. I think i'm doing OK for a player who just started, but I get the feeling that if I ask these questions to the random people on whatever random server i'm on, they'll shit down my throat. For starters, I mainly play as a Soldier or Sniper depending on the map/mode attack/defense etc. How do you spot a spy when they are disguised or invisible? Do you just have to shoot at their barely-visible outline when you see it? I find myself being stabbed in the back quite a bit. Next, how do you get more keys? I used the one from what I presume is a Christmas event, but I imagine i'll be needing more. Are they just random pickups too?  

Any other tips you guys could give me would be much appreciated, and if anyone wants a game feel free to send an invite any time (of course, I might not respond). I realize I may just need to deal with the whole "negative k/d ratio" thing until I get some hawt l00ts to use, but I imagine there's something I don't know.  

Thanks!

• @Fripplebubby: You have to buy keys, they're not a random drop item.  That's the biggest problem a lot of people have had with the introduction of the Mann Co store and the crates.  99% of the time the crate's not worth it, to me anyway, and I usually try to trade them off for something I want and let someone else spend the $3 on a key. 

Spy checking is typically done by Pyros; Heavies sometimes do checks as well.  As a soldier you can shoot a rocket at someone's feet but that's generally a waste of ammo.  Depending on what your secondary is, you can shoot them with the shotgun as well.  If they bleed or take damage, they're a spy.  I've run in to some really good spy players and a Dead Ringer + Eternal Reward is horribly, horribly broken. 

The game's fast and takes a little getting used to, especially if you're not used to PC FPS gaming.  Not to mention, how reliant you can be on your team mates.  I think the KritzKast guys put it best: "You can be the best solo player on your public server but you'll still be bad in a pro environment.  It's called Team Fortress for a reason".  I don't play my Soldier much but when I do I typically hang around in about the middle of the pack and pick people off with my Direct Hit (if you want one, I have extras I can give you.  They're basically a game changer for Soldiers).