New to the forums, wondering if there are any fellow developers out there?

Created by MegaTiki on Jan. 17, 2017, 10:10 a.m.
  • Hey y'all!

Just joined the forums and wanted to introduce myself and see if there are any fellow game developers on here. My name is MegaTiki, I'm an AI programmer and designer for the gaming industry. I've worked on a few projects now both at the AAA and indie level, the big ones include Payday 2 and Tom Clancy's The Division. I just wanted to throw up a post and say hello and see if there are any other developers on here.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about what I do or any general questions about the gaming industry as a whole, I'll respond as I see them.

-Tiki

• Game development and AI are fascinating me. I have no experience in developing games but I'm following a few indie MMO projects (Camelot Unchained, Crowfall, Chronicles of Elyria, Pantheon: RotF, etc.). The studios behind those games tend to show a lot of dev stuff and take the time to explain how they're designing and creating the systems. We're lucky to have so much information available easily and for free on the internet. ^^ I haven't played The Division but I've heard it was a pretty good game.
  • Game Development and AI Development are truly fascinating and that's what got me into the industry into the first place. What I love is that the industry is really friendly to people that want to learn, we all got into it because it's our passion and the majority want to help other people share in that passion. It's not the best industry to work in in terms of stress and working hours, but you know the old saying: "If you do what you love, you never work a day in your life."

If anybody has any questions about my experience as a dev or wants to know more about the industry, feel free to ask!

• What are your thoughts on Unity? I've been working on a turn-based strategy game using Unity just for fun.

• Unity is a great and versatile engine, it's personally what I use to mess around with new game prototypes just to see if the systems will mesh well together. Unity is also reasonable in its pricing if you want to eventually release a game on it, and their support people are good as well. Honestly you can do pretty much anything with Unity, but in order to better optomize your game later on down the road, you will probably want to switch to something like Unreal, but for a majority of small projects, Unity is great!