Quantcast

replacing PS3 harddrive, need help

Created by bofooq on June 7, 2012, 7:26 a.m.
  • I am looking to replace my 80gb hard drive in my ps3 with a larger one, mainly cause I have a psn plus and need more room for downloading games. I don't know much but I understand it should be pretty easy to do, it's just a question of what hard drive to get. I'm thinking 500gb will be more than enough and lots are under $100. here are some of the ones I found on amazon.

1Western Digital 500 GB Scorpio Blue SATA 3 Gb/s 5400 RPM 8 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Notebook Hard Drive - WD5000BPVT .$75

2. Seagate Momentus 5400 500GB 5400RPM SATA 3Gb/s 8MB Cache 2.5 Inch Internal NB Hard Drive ST9500325AS-Bare Drive $65

3.Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500 GB Bulk/OEM Hard Drive 2.5 Inch, 8 MB Cache, 5400 RPM SATA II WD5000BEVT $85

So if anyone could help or have better suggestions let me know. Will any of the three work? Like I've said I don't know much and don't want to break my ps3

thanks

• I highly recommed reading both of these before you actually buy/do anything.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/how-to-upgrade-your-playstation-3-hard-drive-6176090/

and

http://www.exitstrategy.co.nz/ps3-hdd-replacement-help/ if you have problems

But incase you don't, here is the big thing;

STEP 1. Buy a new Hard Disc Drive for your PS3. Upgrading the HDD will not void your warranty, however, Sony makes it pretty clear that you the consumer take full responsibility when upgrading the HDD, so don’t go crying to them if something doesn’t work.

The HDD must be a 2.5” internal Serial ATA HDD. They come in flavors such as 120GB, 250GB, 500GB & 640GB. I’ve heard of guys going to 750GB and even 1TB, but the general feeling is that 640GB is about the biggest you can go to without running into other issues. I went for 500GB 5400rpm model with a 3.0GB/sec Interface. Sony doesn’t recommend a 7200rpm drive as a replacement so I wouldn’t go there. Oh and Parallel ATA drives are not supported so DON’T buy one of those.