What Single Serve Coffee Maker Would You Recomend?

Created by Thats Mr.Dingus on Sept. 29, 2015, 8:19 a.m.
  • Hi,

I'm moving into my first apartment and wanted to get something that can quickly make a cup of coffee before work.

Theres the obvious choice of a Keurig. I would want to get a refillable pod, to save some money and i feel that K-Cups are wasteful.

There is also the fan favorite aeropress. But i'm afraid that, while it probably makes a great cup of coffee, it might be more work then i want to do in the morning. Have i mentioned i can be very lazy in the morning.

I also saw this Hamilton Beach Single Serve Scoop Coffee Maker on amazon http://goo.gl/wdXvMj. It's seems to have what im looking for.

Does anyone have an opinion on any of these? Or maybe let me know what your morning coffee routines are.

• Aside from wasteful, Keurig is dreck.

Although not 'technically' single serve, it depends on your serving size, I personally utter adore my Brazen Plus. For me, 1 serving is a pint, so that's half a pot and it does that great. The temperature control makes stunning coffee IMO. But I too am a total coffee snob :)

• What is your budget? I have a Saeco Royal Professional (pre-Philips), and it is fantastic. Obviously not everyone will want to drop $1800 on a coffee machine, but you can find them used on ebay for considerably less. So far it has lasted me about 8 years without a single problem.

In the long run, it is probably cheaper than many other options since you can use whatever beans you want, it is single serving so you don't end up throwing out half a pot of coffee, and it will last a long time. It is also designed to be repairable, so you aren't just throwing it out after three years.

• I know a lot of people that swear by their Moka Pots. It makes the equivalent of what an espresso machine would make (high extraction rate).

• Get a good old fashioned french press. I have one at home and one at the office.

No K cups, no filters in your trash. There's none of the fiddliness of an aeropress and you don't have to babysit it like a funnel. Just one quick stop in the kitchen to start your kettle, a second to pour the water into the pot, and a third to fill your mug (and you can make exactly enough to fill whatever size mug you like to use).

Also, they're dirt cheap compared to keurigs. An electric kettle is a convenience that makes things even easier, but if you're on a super tight budget... water boiled in a pot is no different than water boiled in a kettle.

And if you want to spend the time on the weekends honing your perfect cup of coffee, it will allow you to experiment with different techniques and ratios the way a coffee machine would not.

• Personally, Aeropress or Hario V60/Kalita Wave would be my choice.

Hario hand grinder or even the Rhino hand grinder and then you just need a kettle and you're pretty much done. I would recommend a scale and a timer just for repeatability *or even the Brewista Scale - which is both for a pretty reasonable price*

• A little late maybe but +1 for French Press. Get a decent electric kettle that will boil up fast and a press. Make as much or as little as you want and there's a huge range available depending on how much you want to spend and how much you care about fines in you cup.