Using the French Press

Created by pe8er8 on Feb. 6, 2015, 10:41 p.m.
  • I could use some advice. I have everything in place, good beans (authentic Jamaican Blue Mountain beans), a decent Burr type grinder, filtered water, a French Press, to make an excellent cup of coffee.

And I think I know how to use a French Press. (A course grind, water slightly below boiling, add the water and when the coffee grounds form a crust on the surface stir it, let brew for 4 minutes, plunge and serve immediately)

However, the coffee usually doesn't taste that great. It doesn't have that richness of flavour.So my freshly ground Blue Mountain coffee made with a French Press doesn't taste as good as a cup of coffee from Tim Horton's or McDonalds!

Any suggestions?

• I would also suggest altering your grind. If you're not getting the flavour out of it that you want, then alter your grind. Try finer or courser and have a play! I would highly suggest getting some very small (1 cup) presses to try out a few batches on to do a mini-cupping test of your own, if not, then just make a few and experiment.

• @will: Thanks for responding. It just doesn't have that richness of flavour. It doesn't feel like I'm extracting the full flavour from the grind. I've got a small Saeco Espresso/Cappuccino machine which I really enjoy but I've always really liked the richness of coffee from a French Press. I'm just not getting it.