New Coffee Hand Grinder

Created by wvc on Oct. 6, 2014, 6:33 p.m.
  • Howdy,

I had bought the Hario Ceramic Burr Grinder from Amazon to use with my AeroPress. After a few months, it broke. I didn't drop it, the ceramic burr just suddenly shattered while in the middle of a grind. It was not nearly as durable as I had hoped, and I have since gone to using a used (but free) electric blade grinder.

However, I did stumble on this website (the owner responded to my review on Amazon):

http://handground.com

It looks interesting - a Kickstarter is supposed to be launching in the near future. It's got coffee - it talks about 3D Printing for manufacturing - I figured it was right up the Tested.com Forum's alley. If y'all coffee experts have feedback for them, they appear to be happy to take it.

• @wvc: Hi wvc,

I saw a few clicks come from this post on our analytics so I figured I would drop in and say hello.

I think you nailed what we are up to (thanks for sharing it by the way), so I just wanted to let you guys know I am here if anyone has questions.

-Daniel

• Wow, sorry to hear about your Hario problems. They appear nice and higher end but apparently not.

I was looking at Hario's and upgrading my whole process from a drip machine. Good to know they aren't durable.

• I have a Hario and use it quite a lot with no issues so far. I guess I'll wait and see if it breaks and then look for something else. I use it for french press so it's basically almost completely unscrewed. Maybe the consistency of the grind has to do with how durable it ends up being.

The entire reason I got it is because it was cheap, so you get what you pay for I suppose.

• @wvc - Sucks that your burrs broke. Pretty sure Hario would replace this without questions. If you were looking for a replacement manual grinder that's available now I would check out the Hario slim. I like it better than the Skerton if you're only brewing for 1-2 people because it's a bit easier to hold while you're grinding.

@handground - The idea looks cool! Best of luck.

• @endofworld You're probably right about the warranty, but once I was lent the free blade grinder my motivation to pursue the warranty dried up quickly. I have too many kids and too long a commute - I have to pick my battles.

I have to say I was surprised because the Hario certainly felt like a study grinder - perhaps daily use at a very fine grind was too much (I was doing 5 - 8 serving a day) or perhaps I received a dud.