How's this grinder?

Created by MrGlorious on Dec. 29, 2013, 8:20 p.m.
  • I've been using a 20+ year old grinder that my parents lent me a few years back, and that is finally on the fritz. The Bodum Bistro Burr grinder seems to be the one everyone is recommending on here but it's just a smidge out of my price range. Any recommendations for one under 100$, I've been eyeballing the Saeco CA6804, or should I just save for the Bodum?

$20......yes TWENTY at Goodwill brand new in box never used!!!! SCORE first Burr grinder for me, SO much better

• I purchased the Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder for my wife an anniversary gift, 5 months ago. the grind quality is very good, it has a small footprint on the kitchen countertop and it is pretty quiet. the draw back is that the hopper is too small, the collector has a lot of static and the grinds stick to the lid and then the body. I grew up with the manual Cuisinart blade grinders and the Cuisinart DBM-8, which broke on us after about 2 years. I would buy the Bodum again though.

• I would save the money for a Baratza encore, about $130. It is by far the best you can get for the money. It is very consistent grind to grind, and has a very good particle size to incidence ratio.

• It depends on what you are looking for, but if you want to grind espresso you'd best save up a little more. From what I've read online the Bodum Bistro doesn't quite grind fine enough for espresso (nor does any other at the same price point), so I went with the Baratza Encore as well and I am very happy with it. You still have to turn it almost to its finest setting though (I use 4-6/40). I think it's lowest priced grinder which can actually grind fine enough for espresso, at least from my research a year ago.

If you have a little more to spend there are better options but as budget goes this has a solid price vs quality ratio. It is a bit noisy though.

This is the review that finally won me over: https://prima-coffee.com/blog/baratza-encore-review-espresso-grinder

• @drewhbend Nice One dude..